Sign in to follow this  
realpilotsimpilot

KSAN Zero Wind Runway

I've been researching this for awhile, but apparently there is a way to alter the AFCAD file to change the default runways. FSX uses 9 at KSAN (because it has the ILS), but really, in the many many years I live in KSAN, I can count on one hand the number of landings I've had that way. And, this reality gap has strated to drive me nuts. So, I think I need to edit the AFCAD file, or download the one in the library, but it doesn't seem to address this issue. Any suggestions on how to change the file myself or PIREPs on a decent add-on, would be much obliged. I use FSX, so the Fly Tampa one is out. What I want is to be directed to runway 27 (and have the AI traffic use it) unless there is a gale from the desert. To the extent it matters: Windows 7 Pro, FSX SP2, REX 2.0 UT 2.0 and a variety of add-on birds. Thanks for any suggestions.Doug

download the free program ADE http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/this will allow you to make RWY 9 for take off only if you want. AI will still use the ILS but then circle to land on another runway.
I can't change the take-off runway this way? 9 is almost never used. 27 (9 the other way for those who haven't had enough coffee today), is almost always the active runway.

If you set your wind direction correctly then ATC will assign the correct runway for your purpose. Once set the way you want then save as a flight and then it will always do what you want. Hope this helps.

If you set your wind direction correctly then ATC will assign the correct runway for your purpose. Once set the way you want then save as a flight and then it will always do what you want. Hope this helps.
Not really, I use REX 2.0 and coming it with a 4k wind off the water, I was directed to land downwind on the runway that they never use. I was trying to find a way to change the file so that say from 0-10k tailwind they land and TO on 27 and not 9, which is pretty close to real life.

The only solution that works for me is to close Rwy9 for takeoff and landing in AFX. So far all of my traffic operates on 27 only. In all my years living in San Diego I too have only seen a few days eastbound departures and arrivals and have only landed on Rwy 9 once. Keith

Keith Guillory

I've been researching this for awhile, but apparently there is a way to alter the AFCAD file to change the default runways. FSX uses 9 at KSAN (because it has the ILS), but really, in the many many years I live in KSAN, I can count on one hand the number of landings I've had that way. And, this reality gap has strated to drive me nuts. So, I think I need to edit the AFCAD file, or download the one in the library, but it doesn't seem to address this issue. Any suggestions on how to change the file myself or PIREPs on a decent add-on, would be much obliged. I use FSX, so the Fly Tampa one is out. What I want is to be directed to runway 27 (and have the AI traffic use it) unless there is a gale from the desert. To the extent it matters: Windows 7 Pro, FSX SP2, REX 2.0 UT 2.0 and a variety of add-on birds. Thanks for any suggestions.Doug
A single runway has what is called the Primary (base end) and the Secondary (end). RWY 09 at KSAN is the primary usage runway for several reasons. Putting aside all the reasons the outcome is that RWY 09 carry's the highest score so ATC selects it over RWY 27. The objective is to lower the RWY 09 score and increase the RWY 27 score forcing ATC to use it unless winds exceed a certain speed.There is only one utility that allows us to decrease/increase the score card for runway selection and that is ADE9X. To increase the scoring of runway 27 so it is higher then runway 09 you have to 1. (Mandatory) Reverse the base end runway from 09 to 27. The base end carry's a higher score.2. (Optional) Remove the ILS from runway 09 and let ADE9X orphan it to a new location away from the airport.3. (Mandatory) Delete the ILS approach code for runway 094. (Mandatory) Delete the Start Location from runway 095. (Mandatory) Close Runway 09 for both Takeoff and Landing (will reopen as per ATC if winds exceed a high value)6. (Mandatory) Using ADE9X change the Localizer Approach code for runway 27 so it is a ILS Approach. Telling ATC that runway 27 is a ILS approach even though you keep the runway as a localizer only will help enforce the ILS approach code to be the all weather selectable runway. By following the steps above we are lowering the score that ATC uses for selecting 09 and making RWY 27 have the higher score. If you fly with AI planes we are also making RWY 27 a ILS approach (as per ATC) which will also ensure the AI planes seek the FAF hardfloor and not land short of the runway when weather is VMC.jim

A single runway has what is called the Primary (base end) and the Secondary (end). RWY 09 at KSAN is the primary usage runway for several reasons. Putting aside all the reasons the outcome is that RWY 09 carry's the highest score so ATC selects it over RWY 27. The objective is to lower the RWY 09 score and increase the RWY 27 score forcing ATC to use it unless winds exceed a certain speed.There is only one utility that allows us to decrease/increase the score card for runway selection and that is ADE9X. To increase the scoring of runway 27 so it is higher then runway 09 you have to 1. (Mandatory) Reverse the base end runway from 09 to 27. The base end carry's a higher score.2. (Optional) Remove the ILS from runway 09 and let ADE9X orphan it to a new location away from the airport.3. (Mandatory) Delete the ILS approach code for runway 094. (Mandatory) Delete the Start Location from runway 095. (Mandatory) Close Runway 09 for both Takeoff and Landing (will reopen as per ATC if winds exceed a high value)6. (Mandatory) Using ADE9X change the Localizer Approach code for runway 27 so it is a ILS Approach. Telling ATC that runway 27 is a ILS approach even though you keep the runway as a localizer only will help enforce the ILS approach code to be the all weather selectable runway. By following the steps above we are lowering the score that ATC uses for selecting 09 and making RWY 27 have the higher score. If you fly with AI planes we are also making RWY 27 a ILS approach (as per ATC) which will also ensure the AI planes seek the FAF hardfloor and not land short of the runway when weather is VMC.jim
Jim and Keith, Thanks. I'l try that this weekend.

This is all good stuff. I also have ADE9X and recognized the setting options for primary and secondary. I think if you change these properties you will want to swap all of the lights and runway headings to agree with the changes. For instance the magnetic heading for rwy 9 is 106 degrees. If you swap primary and secondary, 106 will not agree with rwy 27. Maybe this will create a conflict for ATC and AI?Keith

Keith Guillory

I downloaded sandiegointernational.zip and with using REX 2.0 I get Rwy 27 as the active runway with AI traffic using Rwy 27. Hope this helpsBill

This is all good stuff. I also have ADE9X and recognized the setting options for primary and secondary. I think if you change these properties you will want to swap all of the lights and runway headings to agree with the changes. For instance the magnetic heading for rwy 9 is 106 degrees. If you swap primary and secondary, 106 will not agree with rwy 27. Maybe this will create a conflict for ATC and AI?Keith
You are absolutely correct KeithMy above list is what must be done and not a tutorial on how to do it. All headings must be manually changed to coincide with the new base 27 number. Runway markings, lights, approach lights, VASI, any overruns or blast pads must also be look at and changed once the 27 is the base end.ADE9X will reset the runway link but the Localizers must also have the headings reversed and then dragged to the proper end on the runway (including GS/DME if exist).ADE9X will change everything automactically if a runway is renumbered (except approach code) but reversing the base end is a little more complex.jim

I downloaded sandiegointernational.zip and with using REX 2.0 I get Rwy 27 as the active runway with AI traffic using Rwy 27. Hope this helpsBill
Hi Bill: I'd like this one for sure, but I tried my local Avsim Library - not there; and Googled for a while, but couldn't find it... Whereabouts is it?Many Thanks,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Bill: I'd like this one for sure, but I tried my local Avsim Library - not there; and Googled for a while, but couldn't find it... Whereabouts is it?Many Thanks,
You can find it on flightsim.com You get the localizer approach to Rwy 27. Pretty realistic as I flight into San Diego about once a month on business.Bill

You can find it on flightsim.com You get the localizer approach to Rwy 27. Pretty realistic as I flight into San Diego about once a month on business.Bill
Thanks, Bill; Ben there once... beautiful city, but scary approach, but I guess one gets used to it. I wish we still had the FlyTampa version.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I found a file sandiegointernationalfsx.zip which I assume is what was intended.In the AFX Rwy 9 is set closed for landing and take off. What I observe is that all traffic will be sent to Rwy 27 regardless of winds. In VMC arriving IFR traffic get the visual 27 and in IMC they get GPS 27. I watched some defaults, and even with 35 kts of tail wind they were able to take off, though they used most of the runway to do it.scott s..