Sign in to follow this  
maldo

new livery installetion

Hi Cant some one tell me if there is special way to install new livery to the pmdg md11 for fsx.I installed one and I went to the aircraft cgf file I copy the new livery info and I give the comtinuation number for the new livery and saved. but it dosent show the new aircraft in fsx, I also down loaded the addon liverys from pmdg site and folled the instructions, the aircraft cfg shows the liverys but still no aircraft in fsx.

Fernando A. Maldonado

If you are new to FSX you should stay out of the aircraft.cfg file. Be sure you have checked show all variants in FSX to see the liveries.

Dan Downs KCRP

Also, if you are installing liveries from a third party (aka NOT from PMDG) if there is no thumbnail of the aircraft in the folder it wont "show" in the menu. The fact that it is there will, but you will only see a question mark in place of the livery in the menu.

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg

If there is no thumbnail the aircraft will still show up you dont have to have a thumbnail for the aircraft to show . As for staying away from the aircraft.cfg how are you supposed to get to lnow how things work in FSX . Make sure you have the box "Show all Variations" ticked .Lee Marrow

I think Dan's advice to stay away from the aircraft.cfg is general and good advice for a lot of people. It's easy to make a correction and not catch it or remember what you changed to reverse it later :(On the subject of aircraft.cfg here is some things to note:Here is an entry as seen in FSX and what each line is for those that want/need to know:Before even entering the aircraft.cfg you should make a backup. An easy way to do this is just hold down CRTL on the keyboard and left click and drag it. It will create a copy.I numbered them to better show the notes below and of course would not be numbered in the aircraft.cfg.

1. [fltsim.7]2. title=PMDG MD-11 IRON GE3. sim=MD-114. model=GE5. panel=6. sound=GE7. texture=EDD8. kb_checklists=9. atc_id_color=0xffffffff10. atc_id=E777IM11. atc_airline=Maiden12. atc_flight_number=34213. ui_manufacturer=McDonnell Douglas14. ui_type=MD-11 IRON GE15. ui_variation=Edward Pax16. ui_typerole=MD-1117. ui_createdby="Dan"18. description=McDonnell Douglas MD-11 produced by PMDG under licesnse from Boeing Management Company.\nWWW.precisionmanuals.com\nThis variation (Livery) was created by Dan Prunier.\nIt was made in fun and is a free service \nMade for other Iron Maiden fans\n19. visual_damage=020. atc_heavy=121. atc_parking_types=GATE, RAMP

1 = This is the number livery it is. Normally when installing a custom livery of something downloaded from a painter like myslef will be seen as [fltsim.x] with directions telling you to change this number to the next entry in your list.2 = The title is important and "Must" be unique or it will not show up as a selectable Aircraft. FSX will see this and warn you of duplicates when loading.3 = Tells FS what category plane to list this under.4 = This is to tell FSX what folder to get the model information from (FSX then reads the model.cfg which will then describe how to use the .mdl information).5 = Simalar to above but for the panel if in a different location then expected (default panel folder is panel). An example would be to say Panel=VC in which case it would then be directed to the panel.vc folder.6 = Which sound folder to get the sounds from. Normally the same as the model= entry but not always the case like in cargo's where a GE sound would use a GEF model. You can swap this if you have the sound set for another engine or just prefer them sounds. I have created my own sound folders for some lighter aircraft and then just point this entry to the folder I have my sound.cfg.7 = This entry tells FSX what folder to get the textures for this livery from. In this case it is an Iron Maiden repaint I did in a folder named texture.EDD.8 = This is normally blank unless you have a Knee board checklist you want FSX to bring up via the Knee board short cut. If you look at the default cessna as an example it has an entry of "Cessna172SP_check". This points FSX to a .htm file in the aircraft folder (you should make some fun ones for you liveries, you could even do personal to do lists around the house for those 12 hour flights).9 = Specifies the RGB color code (or hexadecimal value) you want the the color of the tail number to be. I get this number from photoshops color palette. This has no effect of course if the number is painted on, and only changable for defaults. An entry here will just be ignored if that's the case.10 = The tail number you want visable. Again, something you could enter for a default.11 = This is the callsign entry you want ATC to use. Of course this will be ignored if your ATC doesn't have it in the list. In the above I have "Maiden". I also hear ATC say Maiden since I added it my FSX ATC using a great free product called EditVoicepack. I have several, PMDG, Maiden, Guinness, Dan, Danbo, and some not appropriate to list :(.12 = You can enter a value here for the number proceeding your callsign, or flight number. In my case it is one I often use 342.13 = This section is used as one of the sub lists in FSX to select your aircraft. Get creative. If you create a lot of your own, then create your own name here to sort them to your liking.14 = Another important one that you don't want duplicates of. I have MD-11 IRON GE. You aircraft should still show up in small categorys but will not show or cancel another one out if the same in the main list.15 = Yet again an entry that should be unique if you expect to see it in your choices for variation.16 = Another entry for controlling what type of aircraft it will list under.17 = ui_createdby="Dan"? This is so I can see all of my own repaints using the center drop down in FSX. I then select Dan and see all my repaints. A must for me since I have so many repaints.18 = This is of course where you put in your description. I never take out the PMDG info but do add to it any specific detail. This can be read in the Detail box in FSX when selecting an aircraft. To create line breaks, you use the \n switch.19 = Visual Damage toggle is for when you crash and want to see pieces go flying. Change this to 1 if you want it on. However, it won't show anything different if it wasn't modeled.20 = Toggle for whether or not ATC adds "Heavy" to the end of your call sign + Flight number. So in my case ATC would say "Maiden342 Heavy get the heck off my tarmac you fool!!!"21 = This tells FSX where to have ground send you when requesting parking after you land. Available options are GATE, RAMP, CARGO, DOCK, MIL_CARGO, MIL_COMBAT. ATC will direct you to your choices in order you have them listed going by availability. So in my entry above, if the Gates are all full (or no clear route to a gate is available) I will then be directed to an available ramp. If none are available, I won't see an option at all :(.You may also have entries such as (Such as in the 747-400):LongAntenna=1LongAntenna2=0These are like other entries in that 1 is to show, and 0 is turned off. Once again, they have no affect if not available in the model.Some things as you see here are important to not have duplicates. If you have problem with a specific livery not showing up, this is normally the place the issue will be found. Here are the things you should check if not seeing your livery:

• Make sure you have the "Show all Variations" box checked.
  • Before exiting FSX check your other categories and see if it shows in the aircraft specific drop down to help find the problem faster.
  • Check your [fltsim.X] entries in the aircraft.cfg. Did you remove the X and enter the next available entry?
  • Check the titles of all of your liveries, none can be the same (Do not change this if you have FSP, or you will have to buy the aircraft again :( ).
  • Other areas you don't want duplicates in FSX:
    • ui_variation
    • ui_type

Hope this helps, it sure helped me since taking the time to type this got me out of helping my brother go grocery shopping B)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier