Sign in to follow this  
Ioan92

Just how close to reality is this magnificent addon?

It's been about 2 weeks since I've got my lovely PMDG 747-400, and I'm proud to annouce the completion of my first flight from EDDF to EDDM with route DKB->XERUM->BURAM. The feeling when I landed was above awesome, it sounded and felt so real it's like my body had the refex to shake on touchdown lol. Some epic force feedback here!Although there are a few points I need clearance on;ALT MCP must be set to your CRZ ALT prior take off right? It seemed to work beautifully that way. As for descent, what seeting do I put? At first I put 0000, then went like are you dumb and put 1000, but I wasn't able to perform an instrument ILS CAT III Autoland and deplyed my flaps on final approach, so it wasn't such a perfect first flight but at least I've made it to Munchen.I've found a good tutorial on youtube for the APP and landing and I'll soon have mastered the whole thing!So, how close is this addon to reality so I can brag to my friends and say; I could can fly that!Thumbs UP and LOCKED PMDG!:DPPS: Is there any way I could disable the yoke from overriding the AP? My joke is very sensitive and loose, and it doesn't take much to override the AP. It kinds impedes with my ability to look around in flight.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

MCP ALT - this is set to the current altitude you are cleared to, not your cruise altitude. It functions as sort of a check on the pilots in this way, it prevents the AP from overshooting the altitude you're supposed to be at. Before takeoff in the real world it's going to be set at the initial climb altitude you get from clearance/delivery ATC.On descent, you're setting it to the new altitude each time ATC gives you instructions to descend.On the yoke issue, no, but you can set wider deadzones for your control axes in the FS control options.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

What if I do not use ATC?I find it hard to use ATC along with SID/STAR procedures. Since my traffic is also turned off I just do not use ATC at all and let her majesty fly herself.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Do you mean to ask how do you set your MCP ALT for descents if you are not using ATC? Whatever you want. You can set it to the next constraint or you can set it to the last constraint at the ILS FAF. I'm not sure what a wrong answer would be.

Dan Downs KCRP

All legs in the FMS have an altitude, I am refering to one with a constraint such as 10000 at the arrival gate.

Dan Downs KCRP

If not using ATC, I would look at the charts and set it to the altitude at which you intercept the ILS glideslope on descent. On climb you can set it to cruise altitude.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Loan, out of curiosity, what Youtube tutorial have you found? I'd be interested to watch it too.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

PPS: Is there any way I could disable the yoke from overriding the AP? My joke is very sensitive and loose, and it doesn't take much to override the AP. It kinds impedes with my ability to look around in flight.
If you are generally happy with the performance of your stick otherwise, I would just disengage it and re-engage it whenever you need to. I just use CTRL+K to avoid having the stick overthrow the AP. It's quick and you wont have to play with settings you might otherwise be happy with, and maybe even still have the problem anyway, regardless of how big a null zone you give it. Just dont unplug it, FS wont recognize it again until a restart.

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg

Hi think this is the best You tube vid on the use of the 747 using the fms etc from start to finish takes bout an hour to watch its in 10 parts

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi think this is the best You tube vid on the use of the 747 using the fms etc from start to finish takes bout an hour to watch its in 10 parts
Yes,, that one's indeed great! Followed most of it. It's very clear what the guy's doing because he presents it slowly and tells why he does certain things. Great tutorial indeed.loan92: Good tutorials too! I have been watching some of ProFlightSim's stuff already and always found that his work is very good. Thanks for pointing me at his PMDG 747 tutorial!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Glad it help u yea the guy does an excellant job,u shud check out hes other videos as well, whcih are worth while watching as well.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

As for how close it is to reality: It really comes quite close. Some systems are missing, like the Fuel XFER Main 1&4 switch (used in an engine failure), some eicas messenges , weather radar (difficult to make a realistic one in FS) and some FMS functionality (ENG OUT function doesn't work properly, VOR inhibit not available, individual waypoint temperature and wind info cannot be put in, which i don't really mind because it's a pain anyway.) There are also differences in lighting control and the captains PFD and ND brightness control selectors should be the other way around. I noticed these things because It's the only plane I fly in FS. I used it to prepare for my typerating, and I still use it to prepare for my bi-anual profchecks. It doesn't quite feel like having a 747 in your hand (that's limited by the feel of the joystick and the look of a computer screen in front of you). The flying is however almost completely correct (I only find the Yaw Damper to be sluggish). The nose attitudes are correct, the powersettings are correct, the rollrates are correct, and almost everything else is spot on too.Cheers!

Amazing!So its like some sort of home level D or C simulator eh? :(I'm assuming that you are a real 747 pilot when you said that you use the 747 for training.Warms my heart :(Keep up the great work PMDG!

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png