Sign in to follow this  
Watcher

Radar Contact stops with no warning

Sometimes RC goes away with no warning message that it has happened. I usually realize it when I do not receive the Altimeter Check advice. If I then click on RC I receive an error 75 message and RC immediately terminates. This in effect destroys my flight since RC does not permit me to refile my flight plan from where I am at the moment. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Sometimes RC goes away with no warning message that it has happened. I usually realize it when I do not receive the Altimeter Check advice. If I then click on RC I receive an error 75 message and RC immediately terminates. This in effect destroys my flight since RC does not permit me to refile my flight plan from where I am at the moment. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?
have you clicked the .flt/.wx button and defined the path where fs stores the .flt/.wx files?is your antivirus program initially allowing rc to write to it's path (c:\program files\rcv4 by default) and then deciding rcv4.exe is making too many writes to the program files directory and cutting it off? if so, tell your antivirus program that rcv4.exe is a trusted app.if none of that helps, make a log and send it to mejd

have you clicked the .flt/.wx button and defined the path where fs stores the .flt/.wx files?is your antivirus program initially allowing rc to write to it's path (c:\program files\rcv4 by default) and then deciding rcv4.exe is making too many writes to the program files directory and cutting it off? if so, tell your antivirus program that rcv4.exe is a trusted app.if none of that helps, make a log and send it to mejd
My Antivirus program is Norton and the Radar Contact module is trusted so that should not present any problem. Yes, I have defined the path to where fsx stores its .flt/.wx files. I will attempt to make a log as soon as I find out how to do it. I think that I saw something pined about making a log so I will check again. The odd thing is that Radar Contact lets me start the flight ok with the ground operations and usually lets me get to the point of contacting departure but then just goes away. The last test flight was after I asked for weather shortly after contacting departure. Other test flights have allowed me to go quite a ways into the flight before RC goes away.

My Antivirus program is Norton and the Radar Contact module is trusted so that should not present any problem. Yes, I have defined the path to where fsx stores its .flt/.wx files. I will attempt to make a log as soon as I find out how to do it. I think that I saw something pined about making a log so I will check again. The odd thing is that Radar Contact lets me start the flight ok with the ground operations and usually lets me get to the point of contacting departure but then just goes away. The last test flight was after I asked for weather shortly after contacting departure. Other test flights have allowed me to go quite a ways into the flight before RC goes away.
your symptoms are what we see when the anti-virus program stops rc from writing to it's directory. did this just start? has it ever worked? did it stop working after norton was installed or upgraded?jd

your symptoms are what we see when the anti-virus program stops rc from writing to it's directory. did this just start? has it ever worked? did it stop working after norton was installed or upgraded?jd
RC seemed to work ok when I first installed it in that I could complete flights. However, it did seem to have some instances when it just went away. It is consistently not working now. Norton has not been upgraded and the RC executable shows as Norton Trusted so it is unlikely that the problem lies with Norton. The only change that has been made is to increase the amount of AI traffic from 5 percent to around 20 percent. I will go ahead and create the log and send it to you. Then I will decrease the AI traffic back to 5 percent. I sort of suspect a memory issue as I only have 2 gig on this system. I had not seen it going to that max but there could be a spike that would take it to max. I think that this is reaching so the log is the best next step.

RC seemed to work ok when I first installed it in that I could complete flights. However, it did seem to have some instances when it just went away. It is consistently not working now. Norton has not been upgraded and the RC executable shows as Norton Trusted so it is unlikely that the problem lies with Norton. The only change that has been made is to increase the amount of AI traffic from 5 percent to around 20 percent. I will go ahead and create the log and send it to you. Then I will decrease the AI traffic back to 5 percent. I sort of suspect a memory issue as I only have 2 gig on this system. I had not seen it going to that max but there could be a spike that would take it to max. I think that this is reaching so the log is the best next step.
i'm going to put my money on norton, or anothe anti-malware app you have running. it is unlikely that too many ai would cause that error. likewise, unlikely that memory would be the culprit either.jd

i'm going to put my money on norton, or anothe anti-malware app you have running. it is unlikely that too many ai would cause that error. likewise, unlikely that memory would be the culprit either.jd
Ok jd. Based on your feeling that the problem lies with Norton I went into Norton Insight and made an interesting discovery. There are actually two Radar Contact files running. One is RCV43.EXE, which is Norton trusted. However, there is a RCV4.EXE file also running that is not Norton trusted. I did not realize that you were using two executables. Now my problem is with Norton in that their help says that I can trust a single file and in fact they provide a screen to display user trusted files but I cannot find any way to actually trust a single file. I am working that problem now. Will keep you posted.

To be sure you are running the correct file right click on each of those .exes before you rename them, check the properties and then the version tab. 4.3.0.3843 or 4.3.0.3845 should be the file version. Pick the exe that is the later file version and rename the other's extension to .xxx. Disregard the tab title that says 4.2. Normally rcv4.exe is the file used. I'm not sure but perhaps rcv43.exe was the installer. Set Norton to trust the correct one.

Ok jd. Based on your feeling that the problem lies with Norton I went into Norton Insight and made an interesting discovery. There are actually two Radar Contact files running. One is RCV43.EXE, which is Norton trusted. However, there is a RCV4.EXE file also running that is not Norton trusted. I did not realize that you were using two executables. Now my problem is with Norton in that their help says that I can trust a single file and in fact they provide a screen to display user trusted files but I cannot find any way to actually trust a single file. I am working that problem now. Will keep you posted.

that surprises me. even rc v4.3 executable is called rcv4.exethere may be two locations that it runs from, \rcv4 for fs9 and rcv4x\ for fsxboth need to be trusted.jd

My question now is what we mean by trusted. Do I need to allow access through the firewall or simply exclude the file from the virsus scan?

My question now is what we mean by trusted. Do I need to allow access through the firewall or simply exclude the file from the virsus scan?
neitherevery antivirus program seems to call it something different.rcv4.exe writes a lot, every wav that is played is constructed in the \winwood directory, which is usually in the path c:\program files\...anti virus program decide, that any app, that is doing a lot of writing to that path, or any path in the c:\program files... directory, is a virus. they will allow the writes to occur for awhile, and then shutdown the app's access. and you get a run time error 75, permission denied.i don't know what norton calls it.if you don't want to mess with this at all, then uninstall rc, and install rc again, but change the default install path. install it somewhere outside the c:\program files.... path. maybe you have fs in a directory all by itself outside c:\program files... maybe fs is on a differenty drive. either of these would be a good location to install rc.or maybe someone with norton and share what they did, to make norton ignore rcv4.exe's behavior.do not exclude anything related to rc from your scans, and the firewall isn't in play here. unless you are using widefs.jd

neitherevery antivirus program seems to call it something different.rcv4.exe writes a lot, every wav that is played is constructed in the \winwood directory, which is usually in the path c:\program files\...anti virus program decide, that any app, that is doing a lot of writing to that path, or any path in the c:\program files... directory, is a virus. they will allow the writes to occur for awhile, and then shutdown the app's access. and you get a run time error 75, permission denied.i don't know what norton calls it.if you don't want to mess with this at all, then uninstall rc, and install rc again, but change the default install path. install it somewhere outside the c:\program files.... path. maybe you have fs in a directory all by itself outside c:\program files... maybe fs is on a differenty drive. either of these would be a good location to install rc.or maybe someone with norton and share what they did, to make norton ignore rcv4.exe's behavior.do not exclude anything related to rc from your scans, and the firewall isn't in play here. unless you are using widefs.jd
Where this problem stands now is that I sent the log and your response was to try moving all the sliders on all the voices to 0. I did this and it worked ok for a few flights but I just ran another flight and had the same error 75 failure. I reserached the issue on the Norton forum and find that unless I explicitly turn on application control Norton should not be intercepting writes. If anyone knows anything different I would appreciate that information. I am running out of ideas but will reiterate what and how I am running. I normally bring up FSX, select a flight plan, and start Fly Now. Once all the scenery has loaded I start SerialFP2 to initialize my VRInsight M-Panel. When the M-Panel has initialized I bring up RC, load the same flight plan, then start RC. I have been keeping the same aircraft constant for each test, the Cessna 172. Any more ideas would be much appreciated. From the few flights that I have been able to complete with RC I really like it and am not anxious to give up on it as I really do dislike FSX's default ATC.

Where this problem stands now is that I sent the log and your response was to try moving all the sliders on all the voices to 0. I did this and it worked ok for a few flights but I just ran another flight and had the same error 75 failure. I reserached the issue on the Norton forum and find that unless I explicitly turn on application control Norton should not be intercepting writes. If anyone knows anything different I would appreciate that information. I am running out of ideas but will reiterate what and how I am running. I normally bring up FSX, select a flight plan, and start Fly Now. Once all the scenery has loaded I start SerialFP2 to initialize my VRInsight M-Panel. When the M-Panel has initialized I bring up RC, load the same flight plan, then start RC. I have been keeping the same aircraft constant for each test, the Cessna 172. Any more ideas would be much appreciated. From the few flights that I have been able to complete with RC I really like it and am not anxious to give up on it as I really do dislike FSX's default ATC.
did you try uninstalling rc and install rc into a non c:\ path?

did you try uninstalling rc and install rc into a non c:\ path?
Do you mean a different drive than C: or do you mean a folder different than Program Files but still on the C: drive? Also there does not seem to be an uninstaller so how do I uninstall RC?