Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Two questions

hey guys, I'm having trouble - again. One thing is something that has been consistently popping up, and that's the apparent inability to save (or reload) the autothrottle. Every time I reload a panel flight with the coresponding panel state, A/T is always off. This ahs ruined many a flight of mine, and I would like to know what's going on with this thing.Secondly, I have no clue how to make this plane actually land where it's supposed to land. I will not capture the localizer, while the correct ILS frequency and course have been autotuned in the FMC. Am I missing something here? Whatever I try, it just doesn't do what it's supposed to do... could it be an AFCAD issue? I'm trying to land at UUDD, and I have IGFly's UUDD scenery with their original AFCAD.Related to this I found something that I found completely impossible to locate in the manual: when I press APP on the MCP, I get a FMC message saying "NAV INVALID". What does that mean?I sincerely hope somebody can help me out. All this frustrates me beyond normality.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

You can trip the A/T in FSX by just opening another window or menu. I don't know how to prevent this.The invalid nav may refer to the second issue, if current data such as freq is different from MSFS scenery. This is not an uncommon occurence.

Dan Downs KCRP

Loading saved flights - the AT state has to work a bit differently because of FSUIPC/SimConnect constraints dealing with how we model the throttles and engines. Try rengaging your modes first off - ie, press VNAV. If that doesn't work, cycle the FD switch and then reengage all your AP modes, that should allow the AT to operate again. Landing, there shouldn't be anything to this really as long as you have the correct ILS freq and course tuned on the NAVRAD page.NAV INVALID means that the aircraft isn't recieving a valid ILS signal - I would check this airport addon you're using and be absolutely sure you're inputting the right ILS frequency, what's in the AIRAC database the plane uses may be different than what the scenery actually has in the FS "world".

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks for the quick response, first of all. I'll try it all out and see what happens. How can I check the ILS frequency of the airport? I checked the default FS map for the frequencies, and it gave exactly the same frequencies as were tuned in the 747's FMC. So, from that I assumed the auto tuning was successful and the plane should be capable of intercepting the ILS signal.I'm trying to land at Moscow Domodedovo UUDD, Runway 32R, using the Kartino 32A STAR (listed as WTA32R, or something of the kind, in the FMC) with SKURA as a transition, in case you'd be wanting to try it for yourself. The ILS signal should be 111.900 and 317 degrees, according to the charts, the FMC and the FS map.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

UPDATE: I think I'll embark on another fliught, using an airport of which I'm sure the ILS works correctly. I'll be using Aerosoft's new EHAM scenery, runway 6 specifically. Tried it yesterday with the QW757, and it intercepted the ILS signal as usual.

Benjamin van Soldt

Loading saved flights - the AT state has to work a bit differently because of FSUIPC/SimConnect constraints dealing with how we model the throttles and engines. Try rengaging your modes first off - ie, press VNAV. If that doesn't work, cycle the FD switch and then reengage all your AP modes, that should allow the AT to operate again. Landing, there shouldn't be anything to this really as long as you have the correct ILS freq and course tuned on the NAVRAD page.NAV INVALID means that the aircraft isn't recieving a valid ILS signal - I would check this airport addon you're using and be absolutely sure you're inputting the right ILS frequency, what's in the AIRAC database the plane uses may be different than what the scenery actually has in the FS "world".
Ryan, just out of curiosity, if I get a NAV INVALID message (due to AIRAC ILS data differing from Flight Sim data) how do we manually tune in an ILS frequency and course?Fidel Lopez

The easy questions are for me :( (but also in the manuals :D)Search for ILS-MLS in the Nav/Rad page of your FMC:format isXXX.XX/YYYwhere XXX.XX is the ILS frequency and YYY is the coursething is, how do you know which freq and course to set?

Ryan, just out of curiosity, if I get a NAV INVALID message (due to AIRAC ILS data differing from Flight Sim data) how do we manually tune in an ILS frequency and course?Fidel Lopez

The easy questions are for me :( (but also in the manuals :D)Search for ILS-MLS in the Nav/Rad page of your FMC:format isXXX.XX/YYYwhere XXX.XX is the ILS frequency and YYY is the coursething is, how do you know which freq and course to set?
That's an easy question! (and I'm pretty sure you can find it in the manual.) :( In Fs2004, use map view and click on the airport. It will give you the ILS freq and course for the runway. Fidel Lopez

Touche :( Thanks mate. didn't know that :(

That's an easy question! (and I'm pretty sure you can find it in the manual.) :( In Fs2004, use map view and click on the airport. It will give you the ILS freq and course for the runway. Fidel Lopez

In that case, I'm not sure why the PMDG 747 did not intercept the ILS signal when I tried it... Based on what I read in this thread, it clearly should have. I'll do some testing tonight and see if I can still get it to work.

Benjamin van Soldt

Been testing this and what works for me is editing my AFCADsTuning 111.90/317 for RW32R worked, even though according to my AFCAD for UUDD the RW course is 326

Is this the AFCAD that came with IGFly's UUDD scenery that you changed? Because for as far as I know, that AFCAD should be correct on the course and such.EDIT: Well I'll be damned... The AFCAD indeed is wrong: It's in 325.710 for a course... Changed it now, hope it'll be help. Frequency was correct: 111.90.

Benjamin van Soldt

hey guys, I'm having trouble - again. One thing is something that has been consistently popping up, and that's the apparent inability to save (or reload) the autothrottle. Every time I reload a panel flight with the coresponding panel state, A/T is always off. This ahs ruined many a flight of mine, and I would like to know what's going on with this thing.Secondly, I have no clue how to make this plane actually land where it's supposed to land. I will not capture the localizer, while the correct ILS frequency and course have been autotuned in the FMC. Am I missing something here? Whatever I try, it just doesn't do what it's supposed to do... could it be an AFCAD issue? I'm trying to land at UUDD, and I have IGFly's UUDD scenery with their original AFCAD.Related to this I found something that I found completely impossible to locate in the manual: when I press APP on the MCP, I get a FMC message saying "NAV INVALID". What does that mean?I sincerely hope somebody can help me out. All this frustrates me beyond normality.
Did you push the "LOC" or "APP" button on the MCP?Bill

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Hope that course change solves the problem, but if it doesn't, maybe you could try and make sure no other afcads in upper layers are screwing it up for you. you can test removing the default afcad, and editing the igfly one. also the other way around, removing igfly's afcad, just to see where is the sim supposed to get the ILS data fromI don't have igfly's scenery, tested the default afcad here

Is this the AFCAD that came with IGFly's UUDD scenery that you changed? Because for as far as I know, that AFCAD should be correct on the course and such.EDIT: Well I'll be damned... The AFCAD indeed is wrong: It's in 325.710 for a course... Changed it now, hope it'll be help. Frequency was correct: 111.90.

Well, I looked it up in AFCAD, and it listed only two AFCADs: the default one, and IGFly's AFCAD. So, I changed IGFly's AFCAD, which had the course set to 326. I'll test it out in the following hour to see if I can make the plane land now, and if it does, I'd better check to make sure all runways have the correct courses.Bill: Yes I did. I'll test out the "new" AFCAD, and see if I can make the plane land now. Thanks for trying to help, though!UPDATE: So, if you read the edits I repviously wrote, you may disregard them. When I tuned the ILS received to 111.90/325, it all ended up okay. The plane landed itself, although I did have to override LNAV and send it a bit into the direction of 325 degrees before it captured the localizer. I'll probably end up using the "fixed" AFCAD for the next trial, to see how that end sup. I now used IGFly's stock AFCAD, and it works, it works well. You just ahve to remember to tune the ILS receiver to a different value.You have no idea how relieved I am. Doing all those type rating courses, and then see everything fall apart upon your first solo landing really is demotivating. Now I can finally say I know how to fly the PMDG 747 in a basic way. Next step is to perfection my skills, but first I have other planes to attend to!You know what was magical, though, about this flight? I started up early in the morning at ULLI (FS time of course), and the sky was clear. When I got into UUDD, it was quite a bit later, and I was in the middle of a blizzard with terribly visibility. This is what I like about FS: You sit in your cockpit, and suddenly, from the mist and the snow, you suddenly see the ground approaching, the runway lights come into view, and from nothing, an airport emerges. That's a great thing to behold, and I fully understand now why heavy jetliner junkies like these solid IFR conditions!

Benjamin van Soldt