Sign in to follow this  
BobP

FS2004 weather doesn't match real weather?

Guest sbinder

Is anyone else having problems with the "live" weather in FS2004 not matching real weather?In my case, FS2004 thinks it has been alternating between rain and low visibility around my home airport of KMGJ (Orange County, NY) for the last four days even though the weather has been consistently beautiful in real life.Also, I get bizarre wind conditions- I just completed a flight from KMGJ (FS2004 indicates clouds at 8000 and light rain even though the real sky is clear) to KGBR (Great Barrington) and landed in a 34 knot wind from the west even though the real METAR indicates no wind and clear skies.Anyone else?-Simon

Yea, Ive had the same problem. This morning I used real weather and got a hazy dark sky and in reality, there were big white puffy clouds out and blue sky. Earlier in the morning the weather was closer to what Fs2004 was depicting, which makes me think, maybe there is a few hours delay till you can download the actual weather you see out your window.Rob

Having just installed FS2004 tonight, I haven't played around with it that much. I did load up the real-world weather once, and I got vis of about 1/2 mile in rain. Looking out the window I see that its sunny with scattered clouds and visibility today was at least 10 to 15 miles. Its definately not a few hour dealy, since it stopped raining here about 24 hours ago. Joe Wagner

Guest sssummer

There is definitly something wrong. In FS2k2 the weather download seemed to match the weather outside. Now, I have not seen it correct yet at KONT. Looks like I will have to go to Active WXre

If you want ultimate realism and up-to-date METAR's, you should buy Activesky. It is already compatable with FS2004.

Eric 

Guest sbinder

>Its definately not a few hour dealy, since it stopped raining>here about 24 hours ago.Yes- I agree it's not a delay. It hasn't rained at KMGJ in days, but if I load up real weather in FS2004 it is clear for about 30 seconds and then light rain starts.Good for the developers of FSMeteo and ActiveSky- I'm always a little sad for developers that put out solid, useful products when FS improvements threaten to make them obsolete.-Simon

So activesky will show current Metar reports? You have tested this I guess..Thanks, I'll buy it if thats the case!Walt,

Guest sbinder

>I've had excellent results with it during the beta testing>period-but I agree-something is amiss the last few days....This is interesting- I wonder if it's a server load issue?If you've been using FS2004 gold/release continuously over the last couple of weeks, did the weather problem begin on Friday for you?-Simon

Hi guysThis problem with the 'real' weather is not a FSCOF problem as it has also gone haywire in FS2k2. As far as I remember it did seem to start about the end of last week and the biggest problem that I have found is that it keeps bringing in clouds down to ground level at its first refresh which is usually after 15 mins isn't it?Makes landing a bit of a lottery when you are already up there and you took off in good visibility.I am in the UK and haven't got FSCOF yet...should arrive in the post next Monday but lots of the posts here at avsim seem to indicate problems. I have my FS2k2 running like a dream and I certainly won't ditch it until FSCOF is running at least as well.

I had the same experience. I loaded up weather for Buffalo and the weather all day was clear with a few scattered clouds. In fs2004, the day was very foggy with dense clouds. Don't think it was just a delay since the weather was clear all day. The weird part was that I went back in later on and the weather was back to where it should be.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest sbinder

>The weird part was that I went back in later on and the>weather was back to where it should be. Well- this is all good in that it's making me think we might be seeing a temporary glitch in the system rather than a fundamental flaw in the real-time weather. Perhaps the problem will go away as mysteriously as it came.BTW- have you been to Niagara Falls yet? They made great improvements- added the Skylon Tower (with moving "yellow bug" elevators"), the tower that sticks into the gorge on the American side and even a moving Maid of the Mist boat!I grew up in Buffalo, so I fly back there (in FS) every once in a while. Downtown isn't much improved in FS2004, but a creative scenery designer could do a lot quite easily, I think.-Simon

Yes, the Falls is rather well done! I highly recommend it for anyone to check out! I almost died when I saw the Maid of the Mist!

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Weather looked perfect with Activesky 1.9 in DC last night ;-)