Sign in to follow this  
geoffco

AI Traffic Map in non-FS Computer

Hi,Does anyone know a way to implement the AI traffic map (as found with the 2004 Traffic Toolbox SDK, or similar) in a second PC using WideFS? (Freeware preferred) I would quite like to have that "ATC radar" style view there when watching AI for AFCAD testing etc. Having the Traffic Map (or indeed Explorer) open in the FS window makes horrid stutters as it updates it's list!Cheers,Geoff

Hi,Does anyone know a way to implement the AI traffic map (as found with the 2004 Traffic Toolbox SDK, or similar) in a second PC using WideFS? (Freeware preferred) I would quite like to have that "ATC radar" style view there when watching AI for AFCAD testing etc. Having the Traffic Map (or indeed Explorer) open in the FS window makes horrid stutters as it updates it's list!Cheers,Geoff
I use the explorer function of TrafficToolbox a great deal to check my afcad and traffic work.I have never experienced "stutters" as you describe however.When checking Afcads, here is what I do:I have two "test" Traffic files (one for a GA plane and one for an Airliner) and the flightplan is a simple "out and back" (the departure and arrival airport code is the same) and have the percentage set to 1% - with an hourly repeat.I use VFR as this makes the shortest "circuit" - usually 10 to 15 minutes. IFR will almost double that time as the circuit becomes longer in order to line up the approach properly.I then use the "settings" option in TrafficToolbox to have only GA or Airline active and set the percentage to 1%. That minimizes all of the other traffic so there is less or no updating as there would be at higher settings.It is very simple to just change the ICAO code in the flightplan.txt file and recompile when I need to test a different airport.Hope these ideas may be of use to you.

I use the explorer function of TrafficToolbox a great deal to check my afcad and traffic work.I have never experienced "stutters" as you describe however.When checking Afcads, here is what I do:I have two "test" Traffic files (one for a GA plane and one for an Airliner) and the flightplan is a simple "out and back" (the departure and arrival airport code is the same) and have the percentage set to 1% - with an hourly repeat.I use VFR as this makes the shortest "circuit" - usually 10 to 15 minutes. IFR will almost double that time as the circuit becomes longer in order to line up the approach properly.I then use the "settings" option in TrafficToolbox to have only GA or Airline active and set the percentage to 1%. That minimizes all of the other traffic so there is less or no updating as there would be at higher settings.It is very simple to just change the ICAO code in the flightplan.txt file and recompile when I need to test a different airport.Hope these ideas may be of use to you.
Thanks for the ideas - as usual you have a very solid logical approach set out there!I'd still be very interested in an implementation of the AI traffic map in a second PC using WideFS?Geoff

Geoff,Pete Dowson produced a utility called TrafficLook which can run via WideFS. It has two modes - Ground and Airborne. In the Airborne mode it shows the relevant info for all Ai aircraft it senses. It's just a text based utility but useful nevertheless.I can't find it on his website but if you ask Peter on his support forum I'm sure he'll point you to it. Later... I found it. Here you are http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/TrafficLook.zipAs a more comprehensive alternative FS Flight Keeper has excellent maps and includes a moving map showing Ai aircraft and runs very well on a WideFS setup.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You cannot run "in-process" programs such as the Traffic Toolbox outside of FS, so you cannot run it on a separate computer via Wide-FS.You can however use a program such as Maxi-Vista which will allow a monitor on a separate computer appear to be simply another remote monitor on your host (FS) computer. The advantage of such a program is that it off-loads the video processing to the remote machine's video card, rather than bogging down the host computer's video card... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You cannot run "in-process" programs such as the Traffic Toolbox outside of FS, so you cannot run it on a separate computer via Wide-FS.You can however use a program such as Maxi-Vista which will allow a monitor on a separate computer appear to be simply another remote monitor on your host (FS) computer. The advantage of such a program is that it off-loads the video processing to the remote machine's video card, rather than bogging down the host computer's video card... ;)
Hmmm,I have always used Synergy but you are the second person in a couple of days I have heard of using Maxi-Vista and it really sounds phenomenal... I guess I know what I will be setting up tomorrow LOL

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Having the Traffic Map (or indeed Explorer) open in the FS window makes horrid stutters as it updates it's list!
There's something wrong there...that shouldn't be happening. Have you tried reinstalling TToolbox?

Would that still work if the FS PC is in fullscreen mode?Geoff

There's something wrong there...that shouldn't be happening. Have you tried reinstalling TToolbox?
I've looked into this a bit more - what I actually find I have is not the MS SDK Traffic Toolbox but a version of it that came with the Traffic2004 add-on (long since uninstalled in favour of better, self-managed, AI). This has the key difference that it is a window embedded inside the FS fullscreen view while the MS SDK Traffic Toolbox seems to be only for windowed mode (or at least you cant have it open on top of FS in fullscreen but it works with FS minimised). The SDK version IS much smoother but not much use if I can't see the sim at the same time (I have problems switching between fullscreen and windowed and have no interest in going windowed full time)...I'm really suprised that nobody has developed a FSUIPC based ATC-radar style live traffic map for FS9 (that would then also be able to run over WideFS) - there are so many versions of traffic viewing boards...Geoff

The SDK version IS much smoother but not much use if I can't see the sim at the same time (I have problems switching between fullscreen and windowed and have no interest in going windowed full time)...I'm really suprised that nobody has developed a FSUIPC based ATC-radar style live traffic map for FS9 (that would then also be able to run over WideFS) - there are so many versions of traffic viewing boards...Geoff
Rgr that...I'm fortunate enough to have two larger sized screens so running in windowed mode is more like full screen used to be when the monitors were smaller. Then I just slide traffic explorer over to the right screen with the radios and gps, when I'm using it.It doesn't look good anymore for FS9 addons, especially AI.