Sign in to follow this  
Guest hmstiger

Orbx PNW servers a disaster

Guest hmstiger

When its formally released I predict that the Flight Sim Store's servers won't be able to handle it. It's gonna take all night here.

4 gig. I wonder how long it's going to take to unwrap.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Guest hmstiger
4 gig. I wonder how long it's going to take to unwrap.
Download started at an hour, now is up to 4 hours, and continues to climb....

2.5 of 4.2 gig down, started at 319 kb/sec, but it's been as low as 156kb: right now it's back up to 262. Oh, well. I guess I can watch more Olympic hockey! :( After all - it's taking place in Holger territory!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

My d/l started out at 1.75 MB/s, then dropped down into the agonizing 1.50 MB/s range.Took me about an 1:15 to d/l, de-zip, install, defrag, and fly.Hope things smooth out for you.

Guest hmstiger
2.5 of 4.2 gig down, started at 319 kb/sec, but it's been as low as 156kb: right now it's back up to 262. Oh, well. I guess I can watch more Olympic hockey! :( After all - it's taking place in Holger territory!
No kidding. Hope that I don't get kicked out. Just turned on the hockey game on CNBC. Tired of watching JR babble - drop the puck!
My d/l started out at 1.75 MB/s, then dropped down into the agonizing 1.50 MB/s range.Took me about an 1:15 to d/l, de-zip, install, defrag, and fly.Hope things smooth out for you.
I'd kill for MB speeds.....
No kidding. Hope that I don't get kicked out. Just turned on the hockey game on CNBC. Tired of watching JR babble - drop the puck!I'd kill for MB speeds.....
Pushing the low 200 kbs right now....and the expected time just keeps getting longer

Guest hmstiger
Why rush to get it now when you can download in a more relaxed way in a day or two.
This is the pre-release....think what its going to be like when it goes into wide release....

This is the pre-release....think what its going to be like when it goes into wide release....
My bet is that most people who were really interested in PNW pre-ordered. I assume that the actual release date will have less of an onslaught than there is now. Just be patient guys! This isn't a disaster. This just is the same thing happening that I saw with every single major download release, dating back to the betas of Counter-Strike. ;)The problems may not even be the servers' fault but some bottlenecks in the internet where providers cut corners to save money. Depending on your location you can have stellar download speeds or sit behind a node that chokes the download to death.

No kidding. Hope that I don't get kicked out. Just turned on the hockey game on CNBC. Tired of watching JR babble - drop the puck!
Well I just got kicked out - AFTER 2HOURS and 2.6gig. #%@**&It's now sitting at 54 kb/second promising me I'll get it in FIFTEEN HOURS. *$#*###&$#@**$# %#$$# :( It's a good job I'm a gentle, patient person........ #&$#@**$# %#$$# :( and moreover - #&$#@**$# %#$$# :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest hmstiger
Well I just got kicked out - AFTER 2HOURS and 2.6gig. #%@**&It's now sitting at 54 kb/second promising me I'll get it in FIFTEEN HOURS. *$#*###&$#@**$# %#$$# :( It's a good job I'm a gentle, patient person........ #&$#@**$# %#$$# :( and moreover - #&$#@**$# %#$$# :(
This is one of the most anticipated products of the year....a little planning guys....

Guys, without trying to sound condescending, please understand how the internet works. You could have up to 40 different hops between your PC, ISP and eventually our servers in the USA. Note they are in the USA, not Australia, and we are sharing the same CDN network as Steam, which does not come cheap. We have reports of customers downloading the whole 4.21GB in as little as 19 minutes. I myself downloaded it this morning in 4:19 hours. So you can see how variable internet connections can be, and indeed how fickle as well.I guess what I am saying is that we're a planet of nearly 7 billion people and no two internet connections are alike. Problems downloading are no different for Orbx, than it is for Steam, Electronic Arts, or any other major online product release.So please be patient and not use AVSIM as a venting platform or Orbx-bashing center. You'll get the product eventually and then enjoy the scenery.Here's a tip which may help, and I quote one of our customers; "GetRight lost the connection at around 25% and wouldn't reconnect, so after waiting 10 minutes I paused it manually and then resumed it. The connection instantly came back and now it's downloading at a very respectable 800KB/sec. That's mo' like it.".So suggestion: Wait 10-15 minutes then try again.We sold a real LOT of pre-pay copies, so the servers are getting hammered as we expected, but they are coping quite well, with over a terrabyte served in < 3 hours.And those people downloading it in less than 30 minutes - gee, I wish I had their internet connection :(If you have persistent problems in downloading, please log a ticket with FSS and you will be give a unique dedicated download address off the main CDN. This is working for some customers with chronic connection issues via their local ISPs.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

The Big Dude over there said the server has kicked out 1TB in three hours, and apparently that's good. I actually don't know if it's good, but he says it's good, so I'll take his word for it. One thing, though, I'm sure ORBX will deal with any customer complaints in a fair and civilized manner. (Unlike some companies...)I'm getting PNW soon, I have confidence ORBX will make everything right. :(

Guest hmstiger
The Big Dude over there said the server has kicked out 1TB in three hours, and apparently that's good. I actually don't know if it's good, but he says it's good, so I'll take his word for it. One thing, though, I'm sure ORBX will deal with any customer complaints in a fair and civilized manner. (Unlike some companies...)I'm getting PNW soon, I have confidence ORBX will make everything right. :(
19 minutese would be great. I'm now over 5 hours with a very fast cable connection. Anybody else showing 19 minutes?