Sign in to follow this  
Guest magnum_force

Dedicated flight sim computer

Guest magnum_force

If you are like me and have a dedicated flight sim computer, I use no antivirus software, as I check everything I download before transferring it to my sim computer.I use Black Vipers "things to turn off" for maximum performance.But, if you ever want to run a non intrusive malware scan on your dedicated sim computer, as I do from time to time, first, install Revo uninstaller.It is excellent freeware.Then download free edition Malwarebytes.Install Revo first.Then install Malwarebytes free edition.Update free definitions from Mbytes.Scan drive c:Use Revo uninstaller to immediatly unistall Mbytes after scanning.When unistalling, select advanced unistall when Revo offers you four choices ranging from easy to advanced.Delete all Mbyte registry keys and anything else Revo finds.Defrag.Its a great way to use one of the highest rated Malware programs just to make sure you are running clean.Hope this helps. :(

Could you please add some links to the above suggested programs? I also use a "dedicated" computer for my FS2004 and I use NO antivirus program. Also, what is this "Black Vipers" program? Does it turn off unnecessary programs running in the background? Please give more info of these programs you use. Thanks jerrycwo4

Hi.Very helpful of you BillW. I always wonder why people reply to a post when they offer absolutely nothing whatsoever in the form of Help.Jerry.Here is the direct link to the BlackViper web site, and I have linked it to the Win XP page. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htmScroll down a little and look at the table lower down, it shows the things that can be turned off safely, especially for people such as yourself that are running a FS only PC.These things described in the table can be turned off and on by using the "My Computer" icon on the desktop.Simply Right Click on the My Computer icon and select Manage. Then you will see a new window open up, scroll down until you see the item marked "Services" and them Maximise the window.Look for the things described on the BlackViper web site and just double click on them in turn. At each one you will get a small window pop up, in there look for the middle tab marked Log On and select "Disabled" then click on apply and move on to the next item.Thats it really, nothing too complicated, then re-boot the PC when finished to set the things you have just altered.The other program that magnum_force was referring to is a freeware program, and I use it myself. Just be careful with it at first until you get used to it. Again unlike some here is a direct link. http://www.malwarebytes.org/Click on the link on the left side marked "Download free version" and you are away.Hope this helps you.

Best freeware anti virus is at Microsoft Security essentials. It's free and works better than anything else I have used. Small footprint, neat interface, simple and very effective. best of all it is free and takes 10 minutes to set up ands scan.Gerry

Since Magnum force didn't seem to come forward with the links, I gave a suggestion to find the freeware. Steve, you were a bit judgemental about my intent.

Check out Alacrity by KenSalter:http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/This freeware enables you to set up a profile for running Flight Sim while shutting down other non essential progams. It links to Black Viper and advises what to shutdown or keep running.