Sign in to follow this  
Guest Spooky2000

No Plane Shell: Texture problem with the 747-400 in FSX

Guest Spooky2000

Hi,today I installed my PMDG 747-400X, only to discover that the plane is displayed without body shell textures (in the FSX menu airplane preview as well as ingame), so that I can only see a skeleton: look at the jpg attached to this post to get what I mean. It also makes no difference whether I start FSX with TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 or TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 in the FSX.cfg (I need resolution of 4096 for REX2 textures...)All other planes in FSX are diplayed correctly (MyTraffic 2010 AI, FSX-default planes). What could be the issue? Is there a way to fix this?Thanks in advance,Lars Larsen

Gosh, there is so much difference between default/traffic models and the PMDG model I don't know where to begin.You've got plenty of power so it must be something with your configuration. Just for testing, try renaming fsx.cfg to force a new one and see if that helps.You might try running the installer again and selecting repair to both aircraft and C++ redistributals.I had this happen once and a reinstall fixed it and it hasn't happened since. I don't know what that was.

Dan Downs KCRP

That happens to me also (only in FSX) but only for a quick second as the 747 is loading in the setup display window, not after the sim actually loads.

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg

Same as Bill mentioned for me too. It happens but comes back in a sec or two (ok 3 at the most). As for the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096, I run REX2 as well and have that set, it has no effect on the lesser textures so isn't the problem. Even with my system and using AI addons, you need to balance the sliders a bit. Keep in mind that if you have "Special effects detail" (or maybe it's scenery complexity, not sure, brain fart),,, up high then all the AI will be taxing the CPU quite hard when your at the gates. This means if you have your AI traffic set fairly high, and the above setting up high enough, that all the jetways are being called at about the same time and baggage cars etc... I normally turn "Road Vehicles" to single digit numbers and this helps a lot when parked at the gates. Especially the larger hubs.Edit: This overworking of the cpu, memory etc... is even more effected at time transitions of the day, such as dawn and dusk, just to add to what to expect. If I slew in a outside view soon as I start FSX at a gate it can get pretty sluggish so I just go about preparing my flight. Once things settle at the airport I have better fps and things run smoother. The main culprit here I think is the video memory and memory in general. You really don't have much ram for FSX, especially with REX2 @ 4096 textures and running the 747. Something has to give and your seeing the end result or hint to that affect.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

This happened to me as well after a fresh install of FSX and the PMDG 744X on a new PC. I found several forum topics that suggested a complete uninstall/reinstall of FSX which cleared up the problem in nearly every case. I took the plunge and the problem was resolved for me. I hope this works for you but YMMV.Doug

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I have seen memory deprivation cause this as well. Use the 3GB switch otherwise a 64-bit OS is the answer.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

I have a similar problem.When I pass to outside view , then for a very short time (1 second?), I see only the skeleton. It happens only with the 747-8 passenger (Lufthansa) in my case.I have never seen this on the 747-8F or the -400 models.Guy

I had this happen to me. I did two things to remedy the issue and it has not returned since.1. Reduced my sound quality to basic config from high fidelity2. I brought all my sliders back to 0. The skeleton was no more. I experimented with the sliders to the stage I can slide most of them half way.In conclusion though, I think it was the high definition sound that was sucking away memory resources, as I have since played with the sliders all the way for short periods and my problem has never returned.I have a QX9650 cpu, Vista 64bit with 8GB of ram, so, plenty of memory. I have a 512MB GTX9800, sufficient for the purpose.Regards

Geoff Bryce

Guest Spooky2000

Hmmm... thanks for the replies so far!I added another picture to show that the skeleton problem also occurs in the FSX start menu, when there really should not be a memory problem yet, because I didn't even start the simulation... Just to make it clear: the skeleton-view won't disappear after some seconds or with AI traffic off or quality sliders set to the left side or at small airports/in the air... it just stays this way all the time, without any shell flickering on/off or so.I will try the PMDG installer repair option (if there is one), and then try a new FSX.cfg, but I will definitely not deinstall and reinstall the whole bunch of programmes - before I would waste so much time hoping it might help, I think I'd rather sell my copy of the 747.. would be a pity, though... Still, I'm thankful for any hint/advice/comment on this problem.Cheers,Lars

It is normal for the exterior view to take a second or two to 'paint,' depending on your system and system load. However, it is not normal for the preview window to have this latency nor is it normal for it to take longer than a couple of seconds for the textures to 'paint' in any of the normal views.Some recommendations that I recall seeing here are:Adjust slidersRename or delete fsx.cfg and force FSX to create a fresh one without tweaks.Run PMDG installers and select Repair.Reinstall PMDGReinstall FSXThe only similar problem I had a year ago was solved with a reinstall of PMDG.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Spooky2000

OK, by now i tried- adjusting sliders: no effect so far)- renaming fsx.cfg: new fsx.cfg did not affect this in the slightest- PMDG installer: repair option did not help at all- I also reinstalled c++ redistributable, which did not change a thingI will now deinstall and reinstall PMDG 747. Is there anything I should pay special attention to in the process of deinstalling?Lars

If you have liveries it is a pain. You gotta uninstall those before you uninstall the airplane. Don't reinstall liveries until the airplane is working.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Spooky2000

How can i deinstall liveries? (I must admit that I installed 1 extra livery (LH).)EDIT: I just realized that I can deinstall the extra livery via "Add and Remove Programs" in the Control Panel. I will give it a try now...

How can i deinstall liveries? (I must admit that I installed 1 extra livery (LH).)
If you ran it from an installer, it should be an uninstall option in your add remove programs in control panel. If you manually installed it, then you just need to remove the texture folder and make sure there are no left overs after uninstall (ie PMDG folder and both 747-400 and 747-400F folders are removed from your fsx/simobjects/airplanes/ directory).

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest Spooky2000

Ok, thanks, I did all that. But after the new installation it now looks even worse: There is no shell and almost no skeleton anymore... (look at attached pic). Any ideas?