Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sparky_Pilot

Update FSX built in database

Guest Sparky_Pilot

Hello to allRecent add-on aircraft come with integrated FMC/FMGC functions, for which exists nav database updates, such as the ones provided by navigraph ...This new "AIRAC" cycles bring always new waypoints, new SID's, new STAR's, new fixes... as in real life...It seems to me that there's an incompatibility between this add-ons, and the FSX itself, since a flight plan created in FMC will not be followed by FSX ATC, because deep inside FSX the database doesn't have any kind of update.You might say: Create a flight plan in FSX and import it to FMC ....Yeap, nice, but the SID's and the STAR's are not integrated in FSX database.But on the other hand, a flight plan created in FMC could be imported to FSX, as long as the new waypoints, SID's STAR's .... were there in FSX built in database.So the basic question is:Is there a way to update the FSX built in database?Best regardsJo

Hello to allRecent add-on aircraft come with integrated FMC/FMGC functions, for which exists nav database updates, such as the ones provided by navigraph ...This new "AIRAC" cycles bring always new waypoints, new SID's, new STAR's, new fixes... as in real life...It seems to me that there's an incompatibility between this add-ons, and the FSX itself, since a flight plan created in FMC will not be followed by FSX ATC, because deep inside FSX the database doesn't have any kind of update.You might say: Create a flight plan in FSX and import it to FMC ....Yeap, nice, but the SID's and the STAR's are not integrated in FSX database.But on the other hand, a flight plan created in FMC could be imported to FSX, as long as the new waypoints, SID's STAR's .... were there in FSX built in database.So the basic question is:Is there a way to update the FSX built in database?Best regardsJo

Bert

FS9 and FSX DB are frozen in time by MS. There is no known way to change that fact.As you say, real world DB is updated often which causes the differences we all observe.Best practice is to offer Navigraph Updates but deal with discrepancies in FS DB as an issue which we cannot change. :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest anthony31fs

Short answer is Yes.It is possible to add waypoint data to FSX (and FS9 for that matter). I once wrote a bgl that added all the IFR and VFR waypoints for Australia into FSX and FS9. The only problem is that it was an addon rather than a replacement for the original waypoint database so there were a few duplicate entries. Never the less it works fine and has been a great help in sim flying.SIDs and STARs are another matter though. You can, in theory, add approach procedures to airports by editing the airport file (afcad) although I have never done this myself.

A flight planning app like FS Build 2 is able to export flightplans that include waypoints that aren't in the FSX database. They're just LAT/LON definitions so the sim has no problem using them, ATC in the sim never directs you to a specific waypoint by name anyway. You can enter a real life flight plan into FS build and then fly it with FSX ATC using this method.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

It is also possible via ADE9X to update Approaches on a per-airport basis, but adding a SID or STAR is a much more difficult process. Even so, it is still on a case-by-case basis, and not something that could be done world-wide in one massive update...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Sparky_Pilot

Thank you all for the prompt repliesSparky

With Microsoft out of the picture, has any one / any company / any organization considered acting as a clearinghouse or as a gatekeeper for updated BGLs that contain changes to waypoints, navaids, airports, approaches and terminal waypoints?

Guest 413X3
Short answer is Yes.It is possible to add waypoint data to FSX (and FS9 for that matter). I once wrote a bgl that added all the IFR and VFR waypoints for Australia into FSX and FS9. The only problem is that it was an addon rather than a replacement for the original waypoint database so there were a few duplicate entries. Never the less it works fine and has been a great help in sim flying.SIDs and STARs are another matter though. You can, in theory, add approach procedures to airports by editing the airport file (afcad) although I have never done this myself.
Anthony, is this available in the avsim library?

Guest anthony31fs
Anthony, is this available in the avsim library?
Yes, sorry I don't know how to link to the file directly but do a search with "Anthony Lynch ifr vfr" and it will show up.Fenric: The nearest thing at the moment is navigraph who provide up to date nav info but mainly for those companies that use custom databases ie Wilco, PMDG, etc.

Thanks Anthony. It's a shame, to have such a wonderful tool just... abandonded.