Sign in to follow this  
flying engineer

FSX scenery problem

FSX scenery has gone strange and not sure what caused it. Recently did a complete removal and reinstall as per Nicks' guide. Have all of FSGenisis(Galaxy Member), UTX Canada/USA and just upgraded GEX to 1.09. Also used Nicks' guide for UTX setup. Flew from Toronto to Hamilton today and have a major highway, with traffic, running right through the runway??? Am I looking at ANOTHER reinstall or can someone give me some tips on clearing up this strange problem. Thanks in advance.

Guest firehawk44
FSX scenery has gone strange and not sure what caused it. Recently did a complete removal and reinstall as per Nicks' guide. Have all of FSGenisis(Galaxy Member), UTX Canada/USA and just upgraded GEX to 1.09. Also used Nicks' guide for UTX setup. Flew from Toronto to Hamilton today and have a major highway, with traffic, running right through the runway??? Am I looking at ANOTHER reinstall or can someone give me some tips on clearing up this strange problem. Thanks in advance.
I have not seen this problem but it sounds like a scenery priority problem. You might check your scenery.cfg and make sure areas match layers on each scenery. I would also startup the UTX setup program then close it as that resets the configuration. It can't be GEX as GEX only replaces the default textures. Best regards,Jim

the primary reason for this is because UTX places roads in their correct geographical location whereas FSX default airports are not always in theirs. if you have road traffic going through the airport, usually the easiest way to change this is to download a newer version of the airport. both Avsim and Flightsim have a lot of free airport updates that might correct this problem. if you can not find an airport you are looking for you can always download the free program- http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/filemanager/...rrent%20VersionADE9X works on both FS2004 and FSX and, in addition to allowing you to place airports where they belong, allows you to change numerous other items. read the tutorials or check out their forum - http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95for help but it is a fantastic program. once you get used to it, you may not want to stop modifying airports yourself.kyle

the primary reason for this is because UTX places roads in their correct geographical location whereas FSX default airports are not always in theirs. if you have road traffic going through the airport, usually the easiest way to change this is to download a newer version of the airport. both Avsim and Flightsim have a lot of free airport updates that might correct this problem. if you can not find an airport you are looking for you can always download the free program- http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/filemanager/...rrent%20VersionADE9X works on both FS2004 and FSX and, in addition to allowing you to place airports where they belong, allows you to change numerous other items. read the tutorials or check out their forum - http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95for help but it is a fantastic program. once you get used to it, you may not want to stop modifying airports yourself.kyle
Thanks Jim and Kyle. I use a prog made by Steve Greenwood to sort out the layering in the scenery.cfg. Went to the Scenery Solutions site and found that UTX Canada/USA has my problem already reported and listed for the next "patch". Also see that this patch could be a while before it is issued.

As Kyle suggested, you can make temporary fixes using ADE if no one has uploaded an updated airport to the library. Runway locations are pretty much correct in FSX, and most of the road conflicts are with misplaced aprons and taxiways. Where traffic crosses runways in FSX often occurs where roads pass under runways in real life. The easiest fix is to use ADE to add a traffic exclusion on that road.

Art

As Kyle suggested, you can make temporary fixes using ADE if no one has uploaded an updated airport to the library. Runway locations are pretty much correct in FSX, and most of the road conflicts are with misplaced aprons and taxiways. Where traffic crosses runways in FSX often occurs where roads pass under runways in real life. The easiest fix is to use ADE to add a traffic exclusion on that road.
I have tried several times to remove road traffic from KCLT by Ray Smith. Some of the problem is that the new 26L RW takes over land through which a road used to run. I use USRoads, and have been told several times that using the "exclusions" in ADX will not actually exclude road traffic when using USRoads. My only option is to zero out highway traffic in FSX. If you have found a way to solve this problem, I would really appreciate hearing about it.Dave Hinson

I have tried several times to remove road traffic from KCLT by Ray Smith. Some of the problem is that the new 26L RW takes over land through which a road used to run. I use USRoads, and have been told several times that using the "exclusions" in ADX will not actually exclude road traffic when using USRoads. My only option is to zero out highway traffic in FSX. If you have found a way to solve this problem, I would really appreciate hearing about it.Dave Hinson
There is no runway 26L at KCLT. I assume you are talking about the added north-south runway. Using Ray Smith's scenery and UTX-USA, I have no traffic crossing the runway. There is traffic crossing a taxiway to this added runway, which I cannot seem to eliminate. I am not familiar with USRoads, but why would you use it if you are using UTX-USA? Eliminating USRoads may be your solution for traffic crossing the runway, if that is the problem. When using UTX-USA with latest updates, it is best to set vehicle traffic to about 10%.Edit: I got you mixed up with the OP, so perhaps you don't use UTX-USA. Other than USA Roads for FS 2004, I've never heard of USRoads.

Art

I've had Ultimate Terrain Europe correct roads and then have cars whizzing across runways as a result, and example being at Manchester UK (EGCC). I solved the problem by purchasing UK2000's Manchester Extreme airport scenery, although even freeware stuff will probably solve issues if it is well made scenery, since if well designed, additional freeware or payware scenery will include an 'exclusion zone' where autogen stuff is prevented from generating at the scenery's location.A look in Avsim's scenery section will usually turn up a solution for most airports where this kind of thing happens, so unlike with what I did, you won't necessarily have to get your hand in your pocket.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

There is no runway 26L at KCLT. I assume you are talking about the added north-south runway. Using Ray Smith's scenery and UTX-USA, I have no traffic crossing the runway. There is traffic crossing a taxiway to this added runway, which I cannot seem to eliminate. I am not familiar with USRoads, but why would you use it if you are using UTX-USA? Eliminating USRoads may be your solution for traffic crossing the runway, if that is the problem. When using UTX-USA with latest updates, it is best to set vehicle traffic to about 10%.Edit: I got you mixed up with the OP, so perhaps you don't use UTX-USA. Other than USA Roads for FS 2004, I've never heard of USRoads.
Correct - a mistyping - it is 36L, and my traffic also crosses the taxiway to that RW - also I have traffic on the ramp in front of the terminal, traffic that should be on the other side of the terminal. I wondered if I could just shift the ARP slightly south to correct this terminal problem (the terminal runs approximately E-W).I also use UTX - USA, and that is what I was trying to say causes the problem. From my reading of other posts on this subject, it seems that some Google Earth KML procedure is the only thing that can delete UTX traffic.Dave Hinson

I was able to eliminate vehicle traffic across the taxiway to the added KCLT north-south runway with ADE by placing the exclusion polygon just south of the taxiway. I find no vehicle traffic at the terminal even though the access road is running through the terminal/ramp. However, there is traffic on the GA ramp on the east side of the airport. The conflicts are due to the terminal and ramps being larger than in real life, which Ray Smith did not address in his scenery file. Apparently, he did exclude traffic at the terminal access road.As far as vehicle traffic across the Hamilton ONT runway in the OP, this is due to the runway being extended and the roads being cut off in real life. UTX roads are apparently based on old mapping prior to the runway expansion. I find many railroads in UTX-USA that were eliminated many years ago in real life.

Art

In UTX a "road" generally consists of an "encasement" polygon (grass on the right-of-way), the road texture line, and an invisible "freeway" line, which causes the traffic objects to be generated. You have to exclude all three to get rid of the entire road. SBuilderX is my recommendation for doing terrain work (FSX SDK required).scott s.

In UTX a "road" generally consists of an "encasement" polygon (grass on the right-of-way), the road texture line, and an invisible "freeway" line, which causes the traffic objects to be generated. You have to exclude all three to get rid of the entire road. SBuilderX is my recommendation for doing terrain work (FSX SDK required).scott s.
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I shall experiment with them. :( Dave Hinson