Sign in to follow this  
G-SWSM

RAM

Hi.I have an older rig now, and untill I can get it together for an up-grade I was thinking about something.I have been given 4 Gigs of DDR RAM, and although my machine has 2 Gigs in there right now, one of them is bad. So I thought about ripping them both out and putting in the two sticks of 2GB.Has anyone else done this? did it do anything for FS at all?I know that Win XP Pro 32Bit won't see it all, aparently it will see 3.25 G. But what the heck it's here so I might as well use it.Just curious.Thanks for any insight.

You want to make sure the new RAM are same generation, meaning, your mobo must be able to handle that type. But of course, 4Gigz is better than 2, although XP doesn

Guest belga1

Hello,AFAIK it will not be a problem but instead this will give some improvements . (provided your mobo support those memory sticks)Edit:Ooops .. cross posting :)Regards.bye.gifGus.

Hi Guy's.Thanks for the replies. Yes, the Mobo can handle them as they are the type for the board, and the board recongises 4GB anyway.Thanks again.

I have an older machine as well...P4, 2.6Mhz. I've upgraded from RAM from 2G to 4G, and vid card from 256 to 512. The vid card was the best bang for my buck, not the ram. The BEST upgrade for FS would be the processor. But, if you got that memory for nothing, go for it. As long as it's supported. Good luck

Hi.Just reporting back.I have installed the 4 Gigs, and Windows has picked up 3.6 of it, What a difference this has made. FS even loads faster now and I can honestly say it runs better too.Screen refresh times are faster etc.Windows XP Pro itself loads and shuts down quicker too. I'm glad I decided to give this a go. If you recall I had a dodgy stick before and was having problems with FS quitting on my frequently, but this has now been rectified too and I have done some extensive testing by throwing everything at it and still no problems.I have even upped the settings on the REX for FS2004 clouds to the full HD ones now at 1024x and it looks fantastic.Just thought I'd share this with you all in case anyone else is wondering about doing this, but has been put off by all the negative reports about RAM and XP.

Just thought I'd share this with you all in case anyone else is wondering about doing this, but has been put off by all the negative reports about RAM and XP.
I didn't mean to imply that you wouldn't see any benefit at all by upgrading RAM...I did it myself. You will see benefits with every one of your applications including FS. It is common knowledge that increasing RAM is the single least expensive way to improve your computers performance...plain and simple. The more of a program you can load into RAM, the better it will perform, and you'll be able to have more programs open at the same time as well. That said, if you think you got a boost from a RAM upgrade, try a CPU upgrade...it'll blow your socks off! With all that RAM on board now the swap file will be yer next project!

Hi Mike.erm, I think we got our wires crossed. I wasn't trying to say or hint that you were wrong or whatever. I was referring to all the posts I have read around the net when googling etc that adding more than 2GB of RAM to XP is a pointless exercise.I am stuck with my Intel P4 3.0Ghz HT CPU though, as my Abit IC7 MAX3 mobo won't support anything higher so I am told. If anyone knows better of course then please feel free to jump in.I am just trying to give my older PC a bit more life while I get the money together to get a whole new machine.Thanks for the replies though all the same guys.

Hi Mike.erm, I think we got our wires crossed. I wasn't trying to say or hint that you were wrong or whatever. I was referring to all the posts I have read around the net when googling etc that adding more than 2GB of RAM to XP is a pointless exercise.I am stuck with my Intel P4 3.0Ghz HT CPU though, as my Abit IC7 MAX3 mobo won't support anything higher so I am told. If anyone knows better of course then please feel free to jump in.I am just trying to give my older PC a bit more life while I get the money together to get a whole new machine.Thanks for the replies though all the same guys.
Oopps! Sorry, I cross my wires quite a bit lately...ole timers is settin in! :(