Sign in to follow this  
Nimbleflyer

Short card recommendations needed

I have an HP Pavilion a6220n with a GeForce 8500GT card 256MB RAM, 128 bit memory interface. I want to upgrade my video card but there is only room for a short board (6 inches), and I need PCI Express 2.0. Can anyone suggest a good card? I'm wondering about the GeForce GT 240 or ATI Radeon HD 5750. I use a single 20-inch monitor for FSX.

You need a computer designed to accommodate high performance parts. I'm sure this isn't the answer you wanted, but that is the reality of the situation. Your computer is designed to be an entry-level PC, not meant for gaming. As such, its chassis is not large enough to accommodate a high-end graphics card which is necessary for what you desire.

I have an HP Pavilion a6220n with a GeForce 8500GT card 256MB RAM, 128 bit memory interface. I want to upgrade my video card but there is only room for a short board (6 inches), and I need PCI Express 2.0. Can anyone suggest a good card? I'm wondering about the GeForce GT 240 or ATI Radeon HD 5750. I use a single 20-inch monitor for FSX.
HelloIf 6" is the longest card that will fit then neither of these will work, then there is the question of your power supply being up to supporting a modern card.I doubt there is a good gaming card 6" in lengthATI Radeon HD 5750 7.25 inchesGT 240 9 inches

HelloIf 6" is the longest card that will fit then neither of these will work, then there is the question of your power supply being up to supporting a modern card.I doubt there is a good gaming card 6" in lengthATI Radeon HD 5750 7.25 inchesGT 240 9 inches
Thanks..........I can take a 6.6" card which the 240 appears to be on nvidia's website specs. The 5750 looked smaller in pictures. I would change the power supply as well. I thought I'd wait til next year to buy a real game machine, but ?

The ATI 5570 and 5670 are 6.6" also. Would these or possibly the GT 240 run FSX better than my 8500GT (which actually does a good job)?

Some say I should forget about ATI for FSX, and go with Nvidia. It's a choice between the ATI 5670 and Nvidia GT240. Opinions?