Sign in to follow this  
Guest NoseGear

Controller Pilot Data Link Communications...

Guest NoseGear

Hey Panel Designers,I'm not sure if you know what CPDLC is... (go look at the wikipedia article) But I was wondering if in anyway it was possible to design a little panel (like the one attached) that works with the default ATC, without the vocal communications so messages come up on the panel. Basically a functioning replacement to the ATC window.On some aircraft it is built into the FMC/FMGS but on Airbuses they have a seperate panel which would be easier to make.This isn't a request it's just to give you guys something to discuss and think about...Faris

I can do it if you tell me how to interact with the ATC system from a programming perspective, that is READ the ATC options normally displayed in the ATC window and WRITE, which means triggering one of the proposed options.Eric

Eric, The write portion can be done in XML, if so, most likely C too. As you said the read portion will have to be "Hi-Jacked" from FS, A C programmers job.RomanXML ATC REPLY LIST(>K:ATC) (>K:ATC_MENU_0) (>K:ATC_MENU_1) (>K:ATC_MENU_2) (>K:ATC_MENU_3) (>K:ATC_MENU_4) (>K:ATC_MENU_5) (>K:ATC_MENU_6) (>K:ATC_MENU_7) (>K:ATC_MENU_8) (>K:ATC_MENU_9)

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Guest NoseGear

I'd love to be able to tell you... but I can't. I'm not a programmer I just wanted to see if it was possible etc.From my viewpoint, it would appear that you need to programme it to read and display the correct messages, then send a message back through to the ATC (In the default ATC window it's 1 2 3...etc)It would be great area to venture into and since almost everything is replaceable in FS2004, why not this?!

Eric, The write portion can be done in XML, if so, most likely C too. As you said the read portion will have to be "Hi-Jacked" from FS, A C programmers job.RomanXML ATC REPLY LIST(>K:ATC) (>K:ATC_MENU_0) (>K:ATC_MENU_1) (>K:ATC_MENU_2) (>K:ATC_MENU_3) (>K:ATC_MENU_4) (>K:ATC_MENU_5) (>K:ATC_MENU_6) (>K:ATC_MENU_7) (>K:ATC_MENU_8) (>K:ATC_MENU_9)
You're right, these events also exist for C/C++ developers like me. The problem is just to read what is proposed by the ATC system. It is not accessible through the SDK, not through FSUIPC, and AFAIK it is not accessible through SimConnect either.It should be "hijacked", but this is not part of my knowledge...Eric

My understanding is that Flight Simulator builds the ATC output string from a series of standard tokens. There are sound files corresponding to each token which are used to create the spoken message. It would be neccesary to get acess to the sting, either in memory or by intercepting it on the way to the screen.I've no idea how this might be done, except I feel it might be quite difficult.

Guest NoseGear

Off-topic...I just realised Eric Marciano replied to my post.Wow.... If anyone can do this it's gotta be Eric! I love your A320 Panel that you made for Wilco, I actually just finished a flight using it!Anyway... back to the topic.I'll let the programmers discuss programming and i'll go back to re-painting. :(

I have no time to take care of it now, but this is interesting. I will look at it more deeply as soon as I can.Eric

Guest NoseGear
I have no time to take care of it now, but this is interesting. I will look at it more deeply as soon as I can.Eric
That's fine... It would be nice to see it as a reality sometime in the future.Slightly being nosy, may I ask what you are working on right now?Faris