Sign in to follow this  
Carenado

NEW C185F SKYWAGON FDE OPTIONAL PATCH RELEASED

With the collaboration of Glenn Davy and Bernt Stolle, we have released this patch which improves the behavior of the aircraft replacing the aircraft.cfg file. (the original aircraft.cfg file is backed up and called "aircraftold.cfg" in case you want to undone the changes)Many, many thanks to them!!!You can get this patch from HERECarenado

Guest acezboy561

Awesome. Im gonna tease myself and wait till 7S3 pre-pay is avilable (tonight at 9pm for me) from orbx.

Bernt,Thank You for the EXCELLENT work on the new flight dynamics. WOW!!! She flys like an airplane now. I am a bit concerned as to why Carenado seemed to abandon this one, the flight dynamics on their official release just dont seem up to their level of standards?Thanks Again!

Bernt,Thank You for the EXCELLENT work on the new flight dynamics. WOW!!! She flys like an airplane now. I am a bit concerned as to why Carenado seemed to abandon this one, the flight dynamics on their official release just dont seem up to their level of standards?Thanks Again!
Thanks for everyone's work on the latest patch to make this an enjoyable aircraft. Now I just have to practice taxiing a tail dragger without running off the taxiway.Just a couple questions about the Skywagon from a novice...1. Right now I can only turn the radios on/off with the master avionics switch even though the radio has an on/off knob that rotates. Would there be something in the config file that would actuate the on/off function with the radio knob?2. Anyone else getting the taxi light switch status info when rolling your mouse over the bottom left gauge in the six gauge cluster on the co-pilot's side?3. Is there any way to enlarge the six gauge cluster pop-up window. For me the pop-up window isn't any larger or clearer than the in-panel gauges.4. Is there supposed to be a sound when the fuel pump is turned on? My other planes that have the fuel pump have a sound of the pump running when I turn the switch on. This one I'll have to verify because I THOUGHT I remember last night there not being a sound (I'm at work now). I thought I remember the sound of the fuel pump running before this latest patch.Thanks.-John

Guest BeaverDriver
Thanks for everyone's work on the latest patch to make this an enjoyable aircraft. Now I just have to practice taxiing a tail dragger without running off the taxiway.Just a couple questions about the Skywagon from a novice...1. Right now I can only turn the radios on/off with the master avionics switch even though the radio has an on/off knob that rotates. Would there be something in the config file that would actuate the on/off function with the radio knob?2. Anyone else getting the taxi light switch status info when rolling your mouse over the bottom left gauge in the six gauge cluster on the co-pilot's side?3. Is there any way to enlarge the six gauge cluster pop-up window. For me the pop-up window isn't any larger or clearer than the in-panel gauges.4. Is there supposed to be a sound when the fuel pump is turned on? My other planes that have the fuel pump have a sound of the pump running when I turn the switch on. This one I'll have to verify because I THOUGHT I remember last night there not being a sound (I'm at work now). I thought I remember the sound of the fuel pump running before this latest patch.Thanks.-John
I can help you with a couple of those, and will have to check into the others.1) I'll check the radios again when I get home. We did have a different configuration in there and it may not have got changed back. Will get back to you in a bit, but if you have the original aircraft.cfg file available, simply copy the radio section complete into the new file and you should be good to go.2) & 3) I'll have to look when I get home. You can modify the size of the gauges, but whether it will make the gauge more readable is up for debate.4) On the real aircraft the fuel pump does make a sound as it is electrical. I think there actually is a sound with this one, but it's turned way down in volume. I swapped out the Beaver's Fuel Boost pump sound instead because it is more realistic for this airplane (basically the same sound, but you don't hear a big solenoid clicking in with the 185 IRL).Hope that helps a bit.Glenn

I can help you with a couple of those, and will have to check into the others.1) I'll check the radios again when I get home. We did have a different configuration in there and it may not have got changed back. Will get back to you in a bit, but if you have the original aircraft.cfg file available, simply copy the radio section complete into the new file and you should be good to go.2) & 3) I'll have to look when I get home. You can modify the size of the gauges, but whether it will make the gauge more readable is up for debate.4) On the real aircraft the fuel pump does make a sound as it is electrical. I think there actually is a sound with this one, but it's turned way down in volume. I swapped out the Beaver's Fuel Boost pump sound instead because it is more realistic for this airplane (basically the same sound, but you don't hear a big solenoid clicking in with the 185 IRL).Hope that helps a bit.Glenn
1. Are you sure you could turn the radio on/off using the knob on the radio in the original cfg file? I thought I tried it when I first got the plane and didn't think I could do it.3. Is it possible to bring in the 6 gauge cluster pop up box from one of the other Carenado planes into the C185?4. Tried the fuel pump just now. No sound that I can hear. Maybe just my bad hearing.Two new questions:Does the oil dilution switch have any function in the sim?The fuel pump switch is a double rocker type, but it seems you can only throw both at once. Is this accurate?

Guest BeaverDriver
1. Are you sure you could turn the radio on/off using the knob on the radio in the original cfg file? I thought I tried it when I first got the plane and didn't think I could do it.3. Is it possible to bring in the 6 gauge cluster pop up box from one of the other Carenado planes into the C185?4. Tried the fuel pump just now. No sound that I can hear. Maybe just my bad hearing.Two new questions:Does the oil dilution switch have any function in the sim?The fuel pump switch is a double rocker type, but it seems you can only throw both at once. Is this accurate?
Answers/Comments1) Yeah, I never used the radios until quite late on, so I don't remember. Mine won't turn off with the on/off switch, only the Avionics switch. That isn't correct.3) I guess you could, but the engines will have different parameters so they may not be accurate. Not sure if that would work or not. This is more of a gauge issue and doesn't really have anything to do with the FDE's that Bernt and I worked on.4) No, there's no audible sound with the fuel pump in this airplane, although there should be. The real one makes quite a noticeable noise.New Questions - Answers1) No, not in the sim. I'm not sure but what the oil dilution switch wasn't an option that Cessna offered (not much good in the tropics :) ). I don't remember ever using it.2) Yes, but the right side should be yellow while the left side red, and yes, you should be able to select each one at a time (pretty sure I can - need to use the mouse). The right side is used for starting the engine, while the left/both side(s) is/are for emergency use only. The procedure is, Mixture Rich, Fuel Pump to Start, push throttle in until you see about 12 to 15 gph on the fuel flow gauge, throttle back out, fuel pump off, throttle cracked, mags to Start. The fuel pump switch should be labelled as Emerg on the left side of the switch and START on the right side.Hope that helps

Answers/Comments1) Yeah, I never used the radios until quite late on, so I don't remember. Mine won't turn off with the on/off switch, only the Avionics switch. That isn't correct.3) I guess you could, but the engines will have different parameters so they may not be accurate. Not sure if that would work or not. This is more of a gauge issue and doesn't really have anything to do with the FDE's that Bernt and I worked on.4) No, there's no audible sound with the fuel pump in this airplane, although there should be. The real one makes quite a noticeable noise.New Questions - Answers1) No, not in the sim. I'm not sure but what the oil dilution switch wasn't an option that Cessna offered (not much good in the tropics :) ). I don't remember ever using it.2) Yes, but the right side should be yellow while the left side red, and yes, you should be able to select each one at a time (pretty sure I can - need to use the mouse). The right side is used for starting the engine, while the left/both side(s) is/are for emergency use only. The procedure is, Mixture Rich, Fuel Pump to Start, push throttle in until you see about 12 to 15 gph on the fuel flow gauge, throttle back out, fuel pump off, throttle cracked, mags to Start. The fuel pump switch should be labelled as Emerg on the left side of the switch and START on the right side.Hope that helps
Glenn,Thanks for checking into those items.Guess we'll have to live with the radio knob and gauge cluster issues.Sounds like I can just ignore the oil dilution switch.Would it be more accurate to copy the fuel pump sound file from another plane into the Skywagon sound directory?I would like to see the fuel pump switch corrected, both the color and the dual activation. However, if the dual function isn't programmed into the sim, there's no point in being able to activate the switches separately, just like having an oil dilution switch you can flip but it has no effect on how anything functions (if this is indeed the case). Reading the operator's manual for the Skywagon I did read about the dual colored double switch. If you get a chance, let me know if you can work the fuel pump switches separately. I tried to mouse click them separately, but couldn't.Did you happen to check to see if you get a taxi light switch status when rolling your mouse over the lower left gauge in the 6 gauge cluster?Thanks, John

Guest BeaverDriver
Glenn,Thanks for checking into those items.Guess we'll have to live with the radio knob and gauge cluster issues.Sounds like I can just ignore the oil dilution switch.Would it be more accurate to copy the fuel pump sound file from another plane into the Skywagon sound directory?I would like to see the fuel pump switch corrected, both the color and the dual activation. However, if the dual function isn't programmed into the sim, there's no point in being able to activate the switches separately, just like having an oil dilution switch you can flip but it has no effect on how anything functions (if this is indeed the case). Reading the operator's manual for the Skywagon I did read about the dual colored double switch. If you get a chance, let me know if you can work the fuel pump switches separately. I tried to mouse click them separately, but couldn't.Did you happen to check to see if you get a taxi light switch status when rolling your mouse over the lower left gauge in the 6 gauge cluster?Thanks, John
Well, to me the radio should be fixed so you can turn it off via the on/off/volume control, but this isn't a major item in my mind. As for the oil dilution switch, there isn't anything obvious that happens from the outside or cockpit anyway. If it toggles, and you want to introduce an increased level of realism, then if the temperature is below -20C, hit the switch for about 15 or 20 seconds (very variable - the colder, the longer) then turn it off. This introduces a liquid into the oil so it's not so thick on really cold mornings, so that the airplane will start. However, where I used to fly, we would remove the oil for the night and keep it inside the house/building so it would be warm come morning, then pour it back in after we had done the engine pre-heat. The whole process of getting an airplane going in the winter (a northern winter that is) is extensive, takes 1 to 2 hours, and is a royal pain to be honest. But, this is a neat feature to see it there, and there would be no outward indication that it is or isn't actually working. Just don't use it above -10C (and even that's pushing it a bit)!I'll check on the fuel pump activation. I think I can, but I may be thinking of something else. Let you know tonight here. I'll also check for the taxi light switch. That would be kind of weird.Back in a while... .Glenn

Guest BeaverDriver
OK, had a chance to look into the other items you mentioned just now. The fuel pump is labelled correctly, but not coloured correctly. No, I can't turn on one side at a time unfortunately. On the taxi light pop-up, no I didn't see that. The only place that popped up was when hovering over the taxi light switch itself.I'd like to see them fix those items I must admit, but none are horribly critical for me.I did copy the Beaver fuel pump/boost to the 185 to simulate the sound of the aux fuel pump. Except for the noise of the solenoid itself, it is pretty accurate, much more so than the 206 fuel pump.Hope that helps,Glenn

OK, had a chance to look into the other items you mentioned just now. The fuel pump is labelled correctly, but not coloured correctly. No, I can't turn on one side at a time unfortunately. On the taxi light pop-up, no I didn't see that. The only place that popped up was when hovering over the taxi light switch itself.I'd like to see them fix those items I must admit, but none are horribly critical for me.I did copy the Beaver fuel pump/boost to the 185 to simulate the sound of the aux fuel pump. Except for the noise of the solenoid itself, it is pretty accurate, much more so than the 206 fuel pump.Hope that helps,Glenn
Thanks again for checking. Wow, that's weird about me being the only one to have the taxi light switch status show when I put the mouse over the lower left gauge in the six gauge cluster. Looks like I'm going to have to have a talk with my mechanic. I'll copy the Beaver fuel pump sound to the Skywagon.Everyone else is up flying and we're still inspecting the aircraft. Blame my technical background.John

Guest Sky_6
this thread makes me quite speechless :(
Simon Evans is renowned for his agnostic behavior, although the model is beautiful, the L19 FDE blows..and really is unflyable at this point, same support BS with FSD.Remember Bernt, the FDE's you provide, are loved by the community and well appreciated . You truly are valuable to the FS community-Let the good times roll...I have propostioned Fernando (Carenado) to put you on his payroll..lol