Sign in to follow this  
lliaudais

FSX Super Sliders

... and now this "breaking" story...)I don't have any reason to set my TML (TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD) other than 1024;I don't tweak my TBM (TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT) very often;I do frequently start the sim without checking that my scenery range is nice and high.So just out of curiosity, I edited these 3 values in a saved config file - you know, (options > settings > load/save); the one that almost everyone forgets about.

I changed TML from 1024 to 2048I changed TBM from 120 to 150I changed my LOD radius from 4.5 to 6.5

I loaded the new config and got this { after <-- before } and 200% enlargement for visibility.I can only SEE the change in the scenery quality but when I exited FSX normally and it rewrote the FSX.cfg, all 3 changes WERE KEPT.So for those who may need to restore some higher settings after making changes, you can apparently just edit a standard saved config with your preferred settings and reset them on-the-fly while FSX is live - or use the config to make the change AND keep your other settings. No "TML editor" needed?If you need to change anything else that would normally require a restart, give this method a try.(film at 11)Loyd

Yeah I spose your FPS drop too though with that LOD radius change. I went from 4.5 to 6.5 once and it was bad hehe. Lots of stutters etc. Naturally if you have a fast PC you'll be ok.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yup, you can load your FSX.CFG from the Load/Save Config option in the Settings Menu (When your at the home scrome), or the Menu Bar when running FSX. Not every setting you change will be soon although. Some lines will require a restart, or it can produce weird results, or lower FPS without a restart of FSX. Many people do not know about it but if you think about it hard enough, think about how hard it would be for the ACES team to test FSX and reboot FSX every time, after editing just one or a few lines :(. That is why you can load the CFGs into FSX at real time. BTW a quick tip. For people that want test a new FSX.CFG while flying, edit the CFG as normal, then in FSX :1) Hold ALT2) Go to Settings3) Go to Options > Load4) Where it asks for file name type "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg"That will lead FSX to your FSX.CFG and load it.If you want to see some of the lines that get loaded while FSX is running, do the same but instead, when you go to Options, click "SAVE" and save the file in your Flight Simulator X Files folder in My Documents. Minimize FSX, go to your Documents folder then "Flight Simulator X Files", then open the file (which is actually a CFG) that you saved in FSX.