Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pardue802

FS-2004 - Access Denied in Win.XP Home

Guest tstewart

Hi All,Have had FS-2004 for over a week and have not been able to get game to even start. Spent over 2.5 hrs on phone with support last nite with no solution. Here is the senerio. I am running Win. Xp home which I upgraded from Win.98SE. I am the system administrator and the only person on this computer. I can load the game but when I try to run the Exe. I get an error message" Access Denied- Log on with Administrator Priviledges and try again. I tried creating a new profile with admin priviledges and reloading game. I tried the run as command, disabled all startup programs other than Microsoft programs and did a new install, checked priviledges on registry setting. I was on phone with game support for an hr. and then handed off to a Win. XP tech for another hr. Could not resolve problem and had to send to research. Support said game would run if I did a format with a clean install of Win.XP. I have FS-2002 and have never had any problem with this type of error. I have over 63GB of info on my system and hate to do a reinstall. 28GB is FS 2002 alone! Below is a brief list of other possible solutions that support had me try.I'm open to any suggestions the forum might have seeing as how Microsoft can't fix! Ps I do have Norton Systemworks 2003 on my system but disabled it on installing FS2004. Below is an list that support also tried.Step 1:A> uninstall the gameA> create system restore point call MS gameA> regedit A> look in HKCU and HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftGamesFlightSimulatorR> there is not 9A> check file system R> it Fat32A> msconfig > disable startup, win.ini, system.ini, third servicesA> delete c:program filesMicrosoftgameflight simulator 9 thereA> reinstall F2004R> same errorStep 2:A> add everyone to HKCU and HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftGamesFlightSimulator9A> give them full controlR> same errorA> reboot R> A> logon to the administratorR> unable logon you log because your account restrict A> went to HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTwinlogonR> there is no AutoAdminLogonA> msconfig > normal startup

Guest ssurjap

I have XP home and Norton SystemWorks with no issues with installing. Support had you disable win.ini, system.ini and Third Party Services????Try it without disabling that. Check your User Profile to make sure it's set to COMPUTER ADMINISTRATOR.As a last resort, see what happens if you uninstall NSW.

Guest Milamber

Did you UPGRADE from win98....IE installed XP on top of an existing Win98 partition or did you do a fresh install of XP. If you upgraded like I think you did upon reading your message that could be the source of your problem. A lot of people have had problems with XP that can be traced back to upgrading a previous OS rather than doing a fresh install....So if you upgraded the best thing you can do is follow MS' advice and do a fresh install of XP. Also you should re-format your drive to NTFS. The only reason to keep to Fat32 would be if you are doing a dual-boot. As to all your stuff, the best way would be to buy a new drive (you should be able to find a 80gig+ drive for around $100 or even less) and install XP on it. Then gradually move your old data to the new drive and finally reformat your old drive as a spare. That's how I originally installed XP :) I bet you will find that once you start from scratch your problem will be gone. Of course if you did install XP from scratch to begin with, then I have no help for ya :)

Guest Milamber

Another piece of advice as to installing a new XP system would be to divide your main drive into two partitions...IE a small one (10-15 gigs) for the system partition and then the rest of the drive for the majority of your programs/games. This keeps you from losing all the data you may have installed with your games if you have to do a reinstall of the OS. If you do have to do a reinstall then all you have to do is tell the installer to re-format the system partition and it will leave the other partition intact.

Guest Pardue802

By chance, have you moved your "My Documents" folder location to another place? If so, even though everything else may work fine, that could be causing a problem. That was the source of my two days worth of headaches with FS2004. Move your My Documents location back to its original place, try to start FS2004. If it works, then cool, then you can move your my documents location back to wherever you have it, but you should make sure that you copy all of your files over to the new location.Kenneth

Guest tstewart

I am at work now but will check where I have My Documents loaded. I don't think I moved it. I have a My Documents folder and under that I have a user specific My Docuuments(my name). I will check to see where FS2004 has loaded the Config file. The Microsoft Support Tect did say that it seems that the FS is not seeing registry or some files that it should see to Exe. the Sim. Should the FS2004 config be in my user specific -MY Docs or just in the My Doc.?Thanks all that are helping, this is driving me nuts not to mention a very costly long distance bill to MS!

Guest ssurjap

I actually moved MY DOCUMENTS to a new drive with no problems. I just made sure that I told My Documents where the new directory is.You accomplish this by clicking MOVE under the Properties.

Guest ssurjap

I actually moved MY DOCUMENTS to a new drive with no problems. I just made sure that I told My Documents where the new directory is.You accomplish this by clicking MOVE under the Properties.

Guest ssurjap

Guest ssurjap

SORRY everyone. I don't know why this posted three times.

Guest tstewart

Back from work and just did a complete search of my computer (including hidden folders and there is no fs9.cfg anywhere. I am going to uninstall NSW (even though I disabled it because something is preventing the cfg from being written into MY Docs.

Guest tstewart

Solved At Last!It is the copy protection on the EXE. I used the no-cd exe. with the copy protection and BINGO!Thanks all who helped a one more slash for MS products.

Guest tstewart

Solved At Last!It is the copy protection on the EXE. I used the no-cd exe. with the copy protection and BINGO!Thanks all who helped a one more slash for MS products.

Guest tstewart

Guest tstewart