Sign in to follow this  

FS9 Haze .. a puzzle.

In FS2K2, to increase overall haze, you just had to reduce your visibility mileage setting. Not so in FS9.I spent the better half of last evening trying to find the right combo settings for creating haze on the horizon to buffer the distinct, sharp division between the end of land or water and air, otherwise known as the horizon! I searched the Learning Center under "Weather" but only could find suggestions for creating fog. I know it is a combo of settings between cloud ceilings, dew point and air temperature, but what is it? If you have been able to create haze at the horizon, please share your settings.ThanksChris

I also have a haze problem, but I believe it is a problem with my Radeon 9200. I replaced it with my old creative card, and got the haze back (along with a bunch of stuttering, 256k memory card). I am flying with that clear visability to the horizon. As I reduce the visibility settings, it simply pulls the distinct horizon in to XX miles. Irritating, especially in mountains.I get an odd "zero display service error" when installing the radeon drivers, nobody, ATI included, has a clue what that is. Everything else seems ok during the install.What kind of system are you running? Good luck...Dave JAthlon900/Asus A7V, 512 PC133 SDRAM, Radeon 9200, SB Live!, WD ATA100 40Gb HDD

I hate to say it and please forgive me but I am glad to hear other Radeon users with the same problem as I have. I was thinking I was going crazy. The horizon thing is so annoying it makes me not want to fly 2004. You're right too about dropping the visibility, it only brings the "wall" of the horizon in closer. It looks horrible. I would have to think that this is definitely a driver issue and will hopefully be addressed by ATI but from their past track record I am not holding my breath. If you happen to find a fix to this would you be so kind as to email me your solution? I will do the same for you if I figure it out first. My email address is flyme2@attbi.comThanks in advance and good luck.

Well, our common denominator is that we are all using Radeon cards, mine being the 9000 PRO 64 MB. Interesting note here is that I went on line for the Jeppesen weather download, which brought me to the default Seattle-Tacoma. I dialed in dawn for the time of day, and I was greeted by the most beautiful sunrise, WITH haze at the horizon, than I have even seen from any FS version. It was stunning in it's beauty.So, now where does that leave us? Is it particular to daylight hours only? I'm going to try dusk when I get home tonight and see if I get the same results. I've wanted to upgrade to a 128 MB card anyway so this maybe my excuse to go back to Nvidia.Chris

On second thought, I D/L the latest Radeon drivers the other night, but have not flown FS2K2 with them. I will make a comparison tonight to see if the same anomaly now is present in FS2K2. Chris

Guest Thomas K

I have the same problem with a Radeon 9700 Pro. The horizon line is becoming a real eyesore in an otherwise flawless simulator. I'm hoping u're right and that this is just a driver issue but I've seen a lot of screenshots on the net that all show the same problem. These 2 shots illustrate the problem at its worse. The haze at the horizon is basically not haze but a wall. The problem is even worse at dawn/dusk. The horizon haze is completely opaque and looks like an ocean of some sort.

Aha !Try haze (for example 20 NM visibility)with no clouds. As soon as you make clouds, the beautiful soft line that you love so much changes in a harder one (if I'm right, when you reach the top of the clouds).Bye,Bol

Correction,It's the height of the visibility that can define: when you make weather of some sort, it's possible to set the visibility in distance and - as said above - in height. A visibility-height of,let's say, 50000 gives you even in a heighflying 747 a soft horizon.Bye.

Guest imemyself

That doesn't work for me. Even w/o clouds at all and w/ a visibility up to 99,999 it's still a nice sharp 0 pixel horizon line. :(

Hi.Try set the WX Vis. to Unlimited. Also see "Fs9 solutions / issues" last message see if it helps, if not post here and I will help you to get get a clear view. TV

Yeah, I've been ranting on this one for a while myselfWhen I reduce my vis, there is no "gradation" in the reduced vis, it simply lowers the sky (if no clouds) like a wall in to a XX mile horizon. If I have "fog" then a white wall moves in to XX miles. Vis is perfect out to the wall then bam, end of visibility. Really messes my orientation up when the horizon suddenly drops by an inch on a clear day (like on approach into LAX today...)My old 256kb Creative does fog but stutters terribly. I've played with cloud settings, visabilities, eye ranges, etc...no fix yet.

I too cannot see haze on the horizon nor fog.Here's a shot of what fs 2004 looks like to meEvery thing is fine exept that major problem...On this picture, visibility is set to 10 miles.In fact it looks like visibility is limited by a wall...If you have any advise, dont be shy...EricP4 2.4 mhz 256 ramWin xpATI radeon 9100 catalist driver 3.6 (latest driver) installed

My O my !!Well..., I checked it again. In weather settings (where you can change wind, clouds and visibility, set visibility for example to 20 NM. The trick is to set also the height of visibility with a slider. If you set the slider at - give or take - 5000, you get with each flight at 5000 a sudden change from a soft to a harder horizon. My card is a Radeon 9700 Pro !!I hope this worksBye

I don't feel so alone anymore!!Yup, that's exactly what I see...and if you pull the vis in to about 3 miles or so, the "horizon line" pulls in to that range, right? We're all in the same boat...DaveAthlon900/ASUS A7V512Mb PC133 SDRAMATI Radeon 9200SB LiveWD 40Gb ATA100 HDD

OK.. after about 3 hours of experimentation, here is what I found.I don't believe it is a driver or a card problem. I ran FS2K2 on the latest drivers and haze was present at 30 miles and more so as you decreased the visibility miles.These are the settings that worked for me and gave me a buffered horizon.Set visibility to either 20 or 30 miles. You can try 40 but I didn't go that far.Set the temperature/pressure settings so that your dew point is no more than 10 degrees below your temperature setting. Set the altitude to 300.In the visibility box, set the "Tops" to 300 and "Base" to 50.Try it and experiment. Tell us about your results.Chris