Sign in to follow this  
rgbinns

Using FSX's MAP option is GREAT

I have found that using the MAP option (WORLD/MAP from the menu) in FSX is really rather good especially at times like this when there is so much you want to see as in the new PNW. Yes it is small and you keep having to nudge the edges of the screen to move on but the really great thing is if you grab the aircraft icon and hold the mouse button down you can move your aircraft to another location.Also, if having grabbed the aircraft icon you move it (even if you are flying) directly over a airport and release, it will drop down onto the active runway ready for takeoff. Dont forget to return throttle to idle before returning to FSX. Click OK and you are back in your aircraft. Then of course you can display or hide airports, VORs, NDBs, ILS feathers, airway intersections, high and low altitude airways as well zoom in and out on the map and other things just like good old 'FSNavigator' but on a smaller scale.Also on the left you can change your altitude , speed and heading just by altering them to your requirments - Click OK and bingo you have just shot up to 10000 feet or whatever.All this time I have been moaning about the loss of FS Navigator while this little gem was hiding up there in the menu!!!! If you want ILS freq or runway details just click on the airport on the map, if it is a larger one you will get a FACILITIES window from which you then select your desire, click OK and there are all the details of the field. On smaller fields it goes straight to the FACILITIES INFO page. I always knew that 'MAP' was up there but never bothered to REALLY read and learn about it. Better late than never.Hope this will help others also,regardsRichard.

Richard Binns
MSFS 2020 - Asus ROG Strix Z390-E - Skylake i7 9700k - EVGA RTX 3070 Black - 32gig G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 - Thermaltake Thor 850w Platinum PSU - Corsair Hydro H80iGT cooler - Samsung 43" UHD HDR TV - Thermaltake V71 Case - Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB  - 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus V-Nand 1TB

Guest firehawk44
I have found that using the MAP option (WORLD/MAP from the menu) in FSX is really rather good especially at times like this when there is so much you want to see as in the new PNW. Yes it is small and you keep having to nudge the edges of the screen to move on but the really great thing is if you grab the aircraft icon and hold the mouse button down you can move your aircraft to another location.Also, if having grabbed the aircraft icon you move it (even if you are flying) directly over a airport and release, it will drop down onto the active runway ready for takeoff. Dont forget to return throttle to idle before returning to FSX. Click OK and you are back in your aircraft. Then of course you can display or hide airports, VORs, NDBs, ILS feathers, airway intersections, high and low altitude airways as well zoom in and out on the map and other things just like good old 'FSNavigator' but on a smaller scale.Also on the left you can change your altitude , speed and heading just by altering them to your requirments - Click OK and bingo you have just shot up to 10000 feet or whatever.All this time I have been moaning about the loss of FS Navigator while this little gem was hiding up there in the menu!!!! If you want ILS freq or runway details just click on the airport on the map, if it is a larger one you will get a FACILITIES window from which you then select your desire, click OK and there are all the details of the field. On smaller fields it goes straight to the FACILITIES INFO page. I always knew that 'MAP' was up there but never bothered to REALLY read and learn about it. Better late than never.Hope this will help others also,regardsRichard.
Wow! Good info. Didn't realize you could grab the aircraft icon, drag it to an airport and the aircraft will be on the active runway when you go back to FSX. Not sure what I would use it for but in PNW you can drop in on an airport, look around, then go back to map view and drop it somewhere else, look around, etc. Saves time rather than using the "Go to Airport" function. I bet those people who use to work over on the Microsoft ACES Team were wondering when we would figure this out! :(

I never realised you could drag the aircraft symbol - many thanks for the tip.
Still things to learn. Thanks!

RichardYes, the map tool is a great little tool and I use it all of the time. If I am reviewing a plane and want to move it onto the grass to get contrast the map tool is great to do that. It is better for me to put a plane at any height, speed and heading using the map. You can also got to any point just by inserting the latitude and longitude. The flight planner in FSX is also a little gem as in the "map' view there you can insert any number of waypoints and/or modify your flight path by dragging your flight plane route with the mouse. This makes it a breeze when flying in mountaneous areas as you can choose river courses and valleys to fly along.Great tip! :( PeterH

RichardYes, the map tool is a great little tool and I use it all of the time. If I am reviewing a plane and want to move it onto the grass to get contrast the map tool is great to do that. It is better for me to put a plane at any height, speed and heading using the map. You can also got to any point just by inserting the latitude and longitude. The flight planner in FSX is also a little gem as in the "map' view there you can insert any number of waypoints and/or modify your flight path by dragging your flight plane route with the mouse. This makes it a breeze when flying in mountaneous areas as you can choose river courses and valleys to fly along.Great tip! :( PeterH
Yes as I said after ALLLLL that time using FSX, such a handy utility was already at hand.It would be even better if we could drag it to another monitor when in windowed mode, so the map could be seen while flying.But I am not grumbling!!!!!

Richard Binns
MSFS 2020 - Asus ROG Strix Z390-E - Skylake i7 9700k - EVGA RTX 3070 Black - 32gig G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 - Thermaltake Thor 850w Platinum PSU - Corsair Hydro H80iGT cooler - Samsung 43" UHD HDR TV - Thermaltake V71 Case - Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB  - 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus V-Nand 1TB

Yes as I said after ALLLLL that time using FSX, such a handy utility was already at hand.It would be even better if we could drag it to another monitor when in windowed mode, so the map could be seen while flying.But I am not grumbling!!!!!
You can also go to Google earth-lookup interesting things to see-then enter the lat/long coords on the map screen and go right there..

I use it from the day I heard that there will be no FSNav for FSX.I also use FSX flight planner where you can drag the path to easily create waypoints wherever you want after entering departure and arrival airports.EDIT: very smart idea Geof! :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Want a map on your other monitor... Did you miss Plan-G? http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/Google online map modes: terrain, map, satellite; flight planning, tracking, distance to aircraft, most of the airport basic data, lots of control over what is displayed. Reads FSX data base for its source of info on airports.FSX and FS9 compatible.Loyd

Want a map on your other monitor... Did you miss Plan-G? http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/Google online map modes: terrain, map, satellite; flight planning, tracking, distance to aircraft, most of the airport basic data, lots of control over what is displayed. Reads FSX data base for its source of info on airports.FSX and FS9 compatible.Loyd
Thank you so much for sending me to Plan-G Loyd. Have already installed it and it is working beautifully.SUPER product. Everybody check it out!Many thanks for the info mate.regardsRichard.

Richard Binns