Sign in to follow this  
Guest MB327

Broken/Missing Bridges screenshot gallery

All,I've put up a screenshot gallery for all to post screens of missing or incomplete bridges you've found. Visit:http://idle.thehueys.com/bridgesIf you have screens you'd like to include, simply click the [add photos] link on the top right.My hope is to have a repository of images that may help MS in fixing our lost/broken bridges.Thanks,Jeremy

Guest Jozef_K

Jeremy,How many bridges do you think there are in the world? And do you really think they all could be in the scenery? Perhaps you are only talking about the USA, but even then, I think there are too many to depict them all.When I compare FS2004 with FS2002 and fly along the river Rhine (Germany), there are quite some more bridges now than in FS2002, but by far not all. Jozef http://www.dse.nl/~joker32/pictures/signature.jpg

Perhaps so, but they were in fs2002, and if they were in 2002, why aren't they in 2004? Don't get me wrong, I am overly happy with the sim, ATC, weather, landclass, GPS... I just want the bridges fixed.idle

Guest Milamber

I have to agree with Jeremy. If they were in 2002 why couldn't they have been included in 2004? I know there is a debate about this and there obviously seem to be two sides :) I also understand the new method for bridges (IE autogen objects), but I wish they had still included the major bridges that were already existing in 2002. Nobody expects that ALL bridges around the world to be modeled but I don't think it is too much to expect the big ones (ie well-known) to exist, especially when they did exist in 2002. In any case, they are gone and we can't change that, regardless of the outcome of this debate. All we can hope is that talented scenery designers look at this debate and perhaps the above mentioned gallery and decide to create the bridges. My vote is for the Coronado Bridge in San Diego. The bay just looks empty without it!

Sadly the Tappan Zee Bridge north of NYC is gone as well.

Guest cast1010

>Don't get me wrong, I am overly happy with the sim, ATC, weather, landclass, GPS... I just want the bridges fixed.You should focus more in the AIRPORTS, that's where you should land and fly from/to. :-lol :-lol Bridges missing is a minor issue, much more important things to appreciate and enjoy in FS2004.Carlos.

>Bridges missing is a minor issue, much more important things>to appreciate and enjoy in FS2004.>>Carlos.Not for a VFR flyer. Bridges are pretty important. But I do agree, like I said originally, there's much to be happy about.idle

Jozef, I am going to boot up FS2002 and see if the Memphis, TN USA bridge is there. It is not in FS2004. The old railroad bridge is there, but not the big newer highway bridge, it should be right by the pyramid.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest MB327

I agree that many are missing or I have not found a way to turn them on. That was one of the first thing I noticed while buzzing around St. Louis Missoure. None of the downtown bridges are there and they were all present in FS2002.

Guest Paragon

The StoreBaelt bridge in Denmark, one of the biggest suspension bridges of the world is missing!

As mentioned in a post a few days ago-many of the old bridges were from old code (pre2000) (I would expect fraaammmmeeeratees would be one reason they are gone).From few days ago:If any old timers like me remember the mid 80's-airports were hand drawn and each placed individually. Therefore-to get an add on the the few included airports of fs at the time-one paid the same amount of $ as the sim to get an individual US state-like Michigan. One got a crude runway that didn't always match up-and we were thrilled at the time.Fs2000 improved on this by having accurate, world wide airports using Jepp data. In a few places where the data was in error you might get a misplaced runway, or wrong ils freq. etc-but it gave simmers world wide access to mostly very accurate world wide airports. No more hand drawn-and greater accuracy for a wider area.In the same way-the bridges in fs2004 are different.Pre FS 2004 bridges were a mix of scenery types: custom objects (such as those made in Gmax), and specialty scenery code (mostly pre FS 2000 stuff).In fs2004 those old style bridges are no more. MS replaced a fair number of these old style bridges, but not all.They added a new autogenlike type: autobridge. Autobridge places one of a random set of bridge types at all intersections of vector road data and water polygons. If there is no road crossing water there will be no bridge.These are generic bridges and are not meant to represent the bridge that's there in real life.A new way of doing business-and like with anything new there will be some problems. Ultimately though-this is the future, as now you will find bridges almost where ever they occur-not just where someone had time to "hand draw" one. I would expect this also improves frame rates. I would expect you will find a greater representation of worldwide bridges wherever they occur (not just major urban areas where someone hand drew one). However, this seems to be at the expense of some of the more famous ones.I am sure these major missing bridges will be gradually replaced, and can still be gmax replaced anyway by end usershttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest dpc

So in a nutshell, MS decided to make bridges an autogen item. In doing so they did a poor job with. You can say that the airports, weather, lighting, whatever are great. I agree completely. However, they missed the mark big time with the bridges. To some it matters, to others it doesn't but they still missed it with the bridges.

Well I guess one can view it in many ways.The bridges are in an evolutionary stage now. There are now more worldwide representations of all bridges at the expense of the old hand drawn famous ones-which probably caused problems of performance with the new code of fs2004. It would seem reasonable that redoing all these old famous bridges by hand (some who were being reused from pre 2000) was just not possible in this time cycle.I don't view it as a "poor job" but a choice for the gradual evolution of a product. In any case I am sure it will not be long before replacement bridges appear.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest CargoMun

Both the Great Belt bridge (that was present in FS2002) AND the one between Denmark to Sweden is missing. Thats very dissapointing :(