Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

Problem with installation of FS2004

Guest UlfB

Hi,I've a problem with FS2004 and Windows XP registry. When I start FS2004 and FS2004 initializes I get the message 'Cannot find the MS Flight Simulator Registry Tree. Ary you sure it was installed properly?'. The message box has the window title 'Mag Var Init' and an OK button. That's it. I click OK and FS9 starts and everything is OK. I've tried to reinstall FS9 twice but the message still pops up everytime I start FS9 and it's a bit annoying.Is there anybody in the community that can help me out on this one?A clue to the cause might be that on the first install of FS9 the message didn't appear. It started to appear after an installation of FSD's Piper Seneca V model using the original Flight1 wrapper, but this might not be the cause of the FS2004 registry problem. I uninstalled the Seneca after copying the aircraft folder and gauges folder. Then I uninstalled FS2004 and reinstalled it twice and still them damned message appears every time I start FS2004.Am I the only one, or? /Ulf B, Sweden :-zhelp

Guest TimD

Ulf,Don't know. Do you use some kind of "registry sweep" tool, or something like that? Do you have different login accounts on your Windows XP installation?I can tell you where FS 2004 is looking for the registry entry. Run the regedit program from your Windows Start/Run dialog, and look up the key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator9.0Is that registry key there? The FS 2004 installer should have put it there.http://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif

You are definitely not the only one. I have had the same problem after I installed a Flight One addon. What you need to do is completely remove all of your old folders and re-install. Unistall flight sim 9, then go and see if the folder, Program Files, Microsoft Games, FS9, is still there. If it is, delete this folder. Then go to your Documents and Settings folder, Name of user Folder, Application Data, Microsoft, FS9, and remove the FS9 folder. This will ensure you have nothing left of fs9 on your system and when you reinstall it will not give you this error any longer. (Remember that this folder is hidden and you must change your hidden options to see this folder.) Recommend you don't install add ons until you know for sure they are for FS2004.

Guest UlfB

FSD,I found the cause!The setup program for the FSD Seneca V wrote the following key to the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator8.0I've uninstalled FS8 so the registry section was empty. I deleted the registry key and now FS2004 starts without showing the error message./Ulf B, Sweden :D

Guest UlfB

Hi,Thanks for your advice.See my reply to FSD. The problem was triggered by the FSD setup program, but the cause of the problem is in the FS2004 code. The FS2004 registry section was allright all the time so the FS2004 error message wasn't correct.I've installed several FS2002 add ons and I will continue to do that. But I recommend to frequently set restore points which enables me to rollback the system if things get too messy. Very useful feature in XP./Ulf B, Sweden :D

Guest UlfB

Hi,A true mystery, then. But I've got rid of the problem anyway and the FSD Seneca is as wonderful in FS2004 as in FS2002./Ulf B ;)