Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boone

Anyone utilizing wives/girlfriends as co-pilots?

With all the excitement regarding the release of ACOF, I thought I would lighten things up a bit. Do any of you guys let your wives/ girlfriends in on the fun of our beloved hobby by allowing them to perform the duties of a virtual first officer? (I have done so on many occasions, and find that it's a great way to spend quality time together, not to mention the fun in imparting the knowledge of simulator flying with someone you love) . Maybe some of you would like to share some of your experiences with your significant other sharing the right seat.J.C (MYNN)

Guest DanWalloch

Why put them through even more torture?? :-) On the other hand......there were those days when pilots and flight attendants shacked up..... :-) :-)

>Maybe some of you would like to share some>of your experiences with your significant other sharing the>right seat.:( :-shy

That seems like a good idea, unless of course, she gets as addicted as you are, and you find yourself competing for time on the 'puter! ;)

Good point. But then again, I get a lot of enjoyment watching her attempt a well executed approach and landing in the PSS Dash 8 (Quite possibly one of the most difficult aircraft in which to achieve a 'greaser landing '). But, if it ever gets to that, I guess I'll have to buy another computer, lolJ.C. (MYNN)

Guest frankcubillos

My wife loves FS, she says it keeps me home and outta trouble.....She's right! :-lolShe's the one that comes up with interesting flights and swings by to check out the take offs, landings and the scenery. Kids love it too. So yep they tolerate Dad's obsession with FS quite well. :-)Good thread.http://fsgateway.com/frank/fs9paibeta.jpg

LOL....My wife wouldn't touch MSFS with a ten foot pole... I've tried to get her to show more of an interest, but I think her years working for Mexicana soured her towards anything aviation related.My three year old daughter, OTH, loves to come in and work the aircraft. She doesn't keep it in the air, but she's very effective at orienting the aircraft about any way she wants to... Until it hits the ground...By the end of next year (or whenever Sport Pilot is implemented), I hope to obtain my license and buy a fairly inexpensive two-place, like a Rans. I'd say it's a sure bet that my daughter will get first crack on a flight with her ol' Dad.... Payback for her being such a strong supporter of my hobby :)-John

Great question,Twice in 18 years of simming my wife has moved me aside and attempted to land the aircraft (once successfully). Beyond that she thinks I'm nuts. She will, however, take the yoke in our Cessna on occasion, but it wears thin very quickly. The question kind of struck home though, as we tragically lost our best friend and hangar partner in the crash of his homebuilt Sonerai (cover of Sport Aviation Feb. 2002) Sunday before last. She is questioning the whole flying thing now - but it will pass with time.Leon

Guest edrutl

My wife tolerates my FS habit (as someone else mentioned - it keeps me home and out of trouble). But she has ZERO interest in FS. She'll humor me occasionally when I show her something cool, but by and large, she likens it to our 2 year old son playing fireman. As she says, we both have fun - but none of us are any closer to being a real fireman/airline pilot than we were that morning.ed

Interesting thread!My wife has done both the private pilot and instrument rating written tests with me (in real life, of course), and has taken flight lessons (she took a course to be able to land if I become incapicated). She is invaluable in the cockpit in the real 172 (knows just what ATC want when they call, etc.). When I call up ATIS, she'll say "that doesn't sound too good does it", when that is the case.So, it's no surprise that she takes a real interest in my simming too. But her own hobbies are geneology(sp?), photography and sewing (she has 4 machines, I still don't know why she needs 4!).Our cat takes more interest, and hangs out with me here at the PC for hours on end- but would rather sleep!Bruce.

My girlfriend once let this freudien gem slip out..."I want to try the flight stimulator!"Sadly, I don't own a force feedback joystick for my computer, lest her subconscious get what it wished for. But, 99% of the time, she think's I'm nuts. "Greg - you didn't ACTUALLY land in St. Maartin. You're still here. By the way, when are we GOING to St. Maartin?"-Greg

>>So, it's no surprise that she takes a real interest in my>simming too. But her own hobbies are geneology(sp?),>photography and sewing (she has 4 machines, I still don't know>why she needs 4!).It's the female version of why we have to have all those addon acft!

My girlfriend and I have an agreement: I play FS, she plays The Sims!The good thing about being a simmer is that I have a spare PC built from upgrade cast-offs about every 9 months - perfect for the Mrs!She has taken a passing interest in some aerobatics in the SF260, though shies away from taking the controls!Excellent thread btw, so nice to have something other than whinges about FS-ACOF!!CheersLungs

Guest Boone

My wife thinks I'm mad....More often than not I'm greeted to, "I can't believe you'd rather play that flying game than cuddle up next to me on the couch".I'm thinking of rationing out FS to 2 maybe 3 nights per week, depending on when her favorite shows are on. Fortunately the new season of junk t.v. programming is about to start. This way I stay in her good books and she is less likely to slag me off in front of her mates!She's a lovely girl really.BOONEJust another candidate for FS related marriage councelling.