Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

Why did they have to bury user settings so deep...?

Why did they have to bury user settings so deep, i.e. in User/application data/microsoft/FS9 as well as the Flight Simulator Files directory.Makes making backups of settings even more difficult...

Keeps people from losing everything if they nuke the MSFS program folder by accident or by design. And I guarantee you that Microsoft's support reps probably got there fair share of calls saying "Johnci at Avsim told me to reinstall, and all my settings are gone...." :)

Guest The Ancient Brit

Things were so much simpler when I had a Mac. Each application had its own folder branching off the root directory. Thus C:/F9 would be it, with all F9 subfolders and files within the main folder. Navigation was two or at the most three mouse clicks and everything visible and obvious.I don

I believe that is has to do with the direction Microsoft is taking Windows. For backup purposes, files that would normally be backed up such as config or ini files should be stored in the "application data" folders and that is where a backup utility will look for files to backup.Just my thought on this. Don't know if it is true or not.Bob

Don't know about Windows 9x....In Windows XP, the files are physically stored in the user's home directory. In XP, at least, this doesn't make backups any more difficult if you back up the entire "Documents and Settings" directory or individual user home directories inside it. Another benefit of this is if you have usernames for different members of your family, each user will have their own settings, their own saved flights, their own logbook, etc.

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest dpc

I have any idea for you...put a shortcut to the .cfg file on your desktop. Can't get any higher than that. ;-) Dave

I can understand the reason, just don't like the structure of the whole user profile, especially since My Documents can be moved elsewhere.It gets left with redundant settings files and directories just like the registry, and files shouldn't be made hidden.MS should provide better user management of this setup and the registry for that matter.Sorry, just my rant! ;)

Guest CargoMun

I put a shortcut to the CFG file in my FS9 folder where the old one was :D

In my opinion the Registry is a garbage pit where programmers stick stuff that does not have to be there. Same as sticking DLLs into the Windows area. Usually this litter remains long afer the programs have gone and some continue to function sending info on what we are doing to little slimey people sitting in dark rooms compiling your profile and then selling it to marketing types.Dick KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

I agree that this should definitely be a user option for where to place flight plans. Now I have my plans on my C drive and my flight sim on the F drive (not my preferred disk management).It also annoys me that when saving (or loading) a stored plan, you receive a dialog that allows you to switch to a different directory... then when you go to do the save or load you get an error saying you can only save/load from the Flight Sim Files directory.Just one of those small annoying things for an otherwise excellent program.