Sign in to follow this  
Guest Beez_Neez

Beginning in Multiplayer

Guest Beez_Neez

I'd like to try the multiplayer aspect of FSX but I'm not sure of the best way to start. I've tried creating a GameSpy account within FSX but it just tells me that the maximum password length is 16 - even when I have made one up that is shorter than this. Taking a look in the forums, it looks like the FSX/gamespy interface and functionality could be better and I wonder if I'd do better giving this a miss and trying something else instead.The only other option that I'm aware of is VATSIM. I've taken a quick look at their web site. It does look somewhat daunting though :( .What I want is something where 'pilots' aren't permitted to fool around (eg trying to knock each other out of the sky), but I also want a pleasant experience where I'm not going to be terrified of joining in and where the beginner pilot isn't going to get blasted for taking things slowly or making the odd mistake.Lastly, can someone tell me if I'd have a problem communicating with ATC in say VATSIM as I don't have a headset with microphone. What is my shopping list going to be if I do need extra hardware like this?Thanks for reading and look forward to your comments.

Guest jaydee737a
I'd like to try the multiplayer aspect of FSX but I'm not sure of the best way to start. I've tried creating a GameSpy account within FSX but it just tells me that the maximum password length is 16 - even when I have made one up that is shorter than this. Taking a look in the forums, it looks like the FSX/gamespy interface and functionality could be better and I wonder if I'd do better giving this a miss and trying something else instead.The only other option that I'm aware of is VATSIM. I've taken a quick look at their web site. It does look somewhat daunting though :( .What I want is something where 'pilots' aren't permitted to fool around (eg trying to knock each other out of the sky), but I also want a pleasant experience where I'm not going to be terrified of joining in and where the beginner pilot isn't going to get blasted for taking things slowly or making the odd mistake.Lastly, can someone tell me if I'd have a problem communicating with ATC in say VATSIM as I don't have a headset with microphone. What is my shopping list going to be if I do need extra hardware like this?Thanks for reading and look forward to your comments.
Hi Beez,You might try a session called FSMP on Gamespy - this month it is running from Atlanta (Hartsfield/Jackson) Airport. Periodically the session changes to airports around the country. Since I have been using FSMP - we have been at Oshkosh, Miami, Honolulu, Dulles, JFK, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Dallas Fort Worth, etc. Far as getting a Gamespy account setup - just keep at it - you might check the following website -> http://www.flightsimulatorguide.com/fsx-mu...ayer-guide.html Sometimes FSMP has several controllers - tower, ground, arrivals and departures. They are tolerant of new folks. You've got to have headphones & mic working properly. Simple Rules: You are not allowed to spawn on a runway plus a few others. Listen to the audio announcement in the briefing room.When the server is online - you can see who is flying, what airport is in use etc on the Google Maps interface by going to http://map.fs-mp.com/status/aSet.html Good luck on GameSpy account and enjoy,Jim

Guest Beez_Neez

Hi Jim,Thanks for the advice. I'll try creating a GameSpy account again and see if I get any further. Could it be my firewall/antivirus program would have been blocking my attempt to create a GameSpy account?? I've got myself a headset yesterday, so hopefully I'll be able to try out a few of your suggestions.

Guest jaydee737a
Hi Jim,Thanks for the advice. I'll try creating a GameSpy account again and see if I get any further. Could it be my firewall/antivirus program would have been blocking my attempt to create a GameSpy account?? I've got myself a headset yesterday, so hopefully I'll be able to try out a few of your suggestions.
I'd forgot about opening ports in the firewall for GameSpy. I seem to remember something about that a long time ago.You might take a peek at this MS article.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925896Jim

Guest Beez_Neez

I finally managed to get my GameSpy account setup. I used an alternative email address and it worked like a dream. I must have already setup an account a long time ago using the first email address I tried. GameSpy should look at improving their dialogue box creation beacuse it's beyond me why it complained that the password I provided was over 16 chars instead of saying that account already registered with that email. Anyway, jobs sorted now, thanks Jim for your help.

Guest jaydee737a
I finally managed to get my GameSpy account setup. I used an alternative email address and it worked like a dream. I must have already setup an account a long time ago using the first email address I tried. GameSpy should look at improving their dialogue box creation beacuse it's beyond me why it complained that the password I provided was over 16 chars instead of saying that account already registered with that email. Anyway, jobs sorted now, thanks Jim for your help.
Hiya Beez,Glad you got GameSpy to work. Here's some FSMP news - apparently the server which provides the Google map of the pilots in the session (I posted the link in an earlier message) is not performing too well now. If you try to log in and view pilots in the session - you'll receive a message stating: "Your IP is being blocked" or some such. Rest assured that everybody is getting this message and it has nothing to do with your end of the connecting. The FSMP Host is working to resolve this problem.If you get your mic/headset working - I suggest programming one of your joystick/yoke buttons as a "Press to Talk" switch for the mic. I use one of the top left buttons on my stickso I can use my left thumb. If you go to FSX / Options / Settings / Controls / Buttons Keys - scroll way down to TRANSMIT VOICE (start) and TRANSMIT VOICE (stop) - program the Transmit Voice start for some button - program that same button for Transmit Voice stop but this time make sure that the box // Do action when key is released // is checked. All done! You should now have a functional press to talk switch on your stick. Your voice will transmit to ONLY the frequency you have set on the aircraft radio. Note: Do not program or use the Transmit To All buttons. -------Currently FSMP is operating at KJFK / Kennedy International. I suggest you get at least an airport chart of JFK - some of the ground controllers give fairly precise taxi instructions.It will also help you navigate to the active runway. :-)Charts at: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KJFK ( you can download them as PDF's for printing )Hope all this helps and looking forward to seeing on FSMP server,Jim

Guest ShadowBrooks

Hey guys, I was active in the FS-MP community back years ago... and was on the website today. Are the forums offline?I was doing research on Google as to why I couldn't view the forums and a thread showed up stating that the server etc was shut down by the owner and another group was trying to set things up again.Was that all a lie? or just happened a year ago and everything is going good now, and the forum issue is just a temp issue.Thanks.

Guest jaydee737a
Hey guys, I was active in the FS-MP community back years ago... and was on the website today. Are the forums offline?I was doing research on Google as to why I couldn't view the forums and a thread showed up stating that the server etc was shut down by the owner and another group was trying to set things up again.Was that all a lie? or just happened a year ago and everything is going good now, and the forum issue is just a temp issue.Thanks.
I just fly in the session and am not the host so I can't really answer your question. I did drop onto the website this morning and it certainly looks active.I could not get into the forum either. Jim

Guest Beez_Neez

Hi Jim,I had already set the Transmit Voice (Start) to a joystick button, just as you described. However, I didn't think about assigning the Transmit Voice (Stop). Does that mean that it would have locked on after my first press of the button!! I'm quite sure that wouldn't have been the case, otherwise I'm sure someone would have told me, surely!?!Setting the Voice (Stop) will be the very very first thing I do the next time I fire up FSX.I've joined some of the really informal free flight fun carefree games in multiplayer and it's quite a different experiance to flying solo - very addictive!I'll take a look at FSMP for KJFK as soon as I can (wont be for a couple of days though.BTW I clicked on your link to the google maps - "whos flying what and where" and it seemed to work.Thanks once again

Guest jaydee737a
Hi Jim,I had already set the Transmit Voice (Start) to a joystick button, just as you described. However, I didn't think about assigning the Transmit Voice (Stop). Does that mean that it would have locked on after my first press of the button!! I'm quite sure that wouldn't have been the case, otherwise I'm sure someone would have told me, surely!?!Setting the Voice (Stop) will be the very very first thing I do the next time I fire up FSX.I've joined some of the really informal free flight fun carefree games in multiplayer and it's quite a different experiance to flying solo - very addictive!I'll take a look at FSMP for KJFK as soon as I can (wont be for a couple of days though.BTW I clicked on your link to the google maps - "whos flying what and where" and it seemed to work.Thanks once again
Hiya Beez,If you have the button push set to Transmit Voice Start - you will start transmitting mic when you press it -- BUT -- it will lock your mic ON.You just program the exact same button on the stick to Transmit Voice Stop -- but -- when programming the button make sure that the little box which says ( on button release ) is checked. see attached image.This makes the joystick button activate your mic when pressed and held down - but kills the mic when released.Hope this helps,Jim

Guest jaydee737a

The FSMP Multiplayer server is now located at Dulles -- KIAD.Jim

Guest Shane_ef
The only other option that I'm aware of is VATSIM. I've taken a quick look at their web site. It does look somewhat daunting though :( .What I want is something where 'pilots' aren't permitted to fool around (eg trying to knock each other out of the sky), but I also want a pleasant experience where I'm not going to be terrified of joining in and where the beginner pilot isn't going to get blasted for taking things slowly or making the odd mistake.Lastly, can someone tell me if I'd have a problem communicating with ATC in say VATSIM as I don't have a headset with microphone. What is my shopping list going to be if I do need extra hardware like this?Thanks for reading and look forward to your comments.
Hi BeezYes the vastim website is a little daunting at first but once you get into it, it is alot of fun, with professional atc/pilots virtual airlines and fly ins/events, and the vatsim community is far far from daunting, it's a community and everyone realises that every pilot has to start somewhere and that they once were the newbie making mistakes.Your not going to get blasted for doing anything wrong, more that you will be instructed on what you should do next time, no atc will slat you and roar at you as this is a BIG NO NO, there are atc controllers on vatsim that on a quite day will virtually (pardon the pun :( ) tell you how to fly an approach or what to say etc.. I personally :( prefer vatsim to anything else, i find it alot of fun, i generally fly helos on vfr and used to fly for a VA, i'm also a RW pilot in training and on bad days when i cannot fly, a session on vatsim helps me to keep up my comms skills.. It has a code of conduct for pilots and controllers so there isn't any messing etc... everything is very friendly, and professional,... On the comms issue, all you need is a little free program to use vatsim and communicate with atc.. My 2 cents is if you want something thats as close to real world procedures etc.. then Vatsims the way, BUT this is just my opinion, i wouldn't try to push vatsim on you, etc ... if you prefer FSMP etc.. then thats your choiceRegards Shane

Guest N6722c
Hi Beez,You might try a session called FSMP on Gamespy - this month it is running from Atlanta (Hartsfield/Jackson) Airport. Periodically the session changes to airports around the country. Since I have been using FSMP - we have been at Oshkosh, Miami, Honolulu, Dulles, JFK, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Dallas Fort Worth, etc. Far as getting a Gamespy account setup - just keep at it - you might check the following website -> http://www.flightsimulatorguide.com/fsx-mu...ayer-guide.html Sometimes FSMP has several controllers - tower, ground, arrivals and departures. They are tolerant of new folks. You've got to have headphones & mic working properly. Simple Rules: You are not allowed to spawn on a runway plus a few others. Listen to the audio announcement in the briefing room.When the server is online - you can see who is flying, what airport is in use etc on the Google Maps interface by going to http://map.fs-mp.com/status/aSet.html Good luck on GameSpy account and enjoy,Jim
website link updated tohttp://map.fs-mp.com

website link updated tohttp://map.fs-mp.com
Thanks for the link. This is something I really want to start getting back into. I have not flown for real since 2006. Had kids, and that was it as far as fun flying for real. Thank goodness for flight simulation. I'll keep looking through the forum for more good info.