Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

To dilloll0

A few days ago you added some info to a post about changing the water colors with the "Ultimate Water Progam." That is, taking certain files from it and placing them into another folder to get the Inland and Tropical waters like you like them. I can tell by your post that you know what you are doing. Would you give us all some more help by listing WHAT files you got from WHAT folder (and where the folders are located) and where you placed them ? It would be a big help to all of us. I can not figgure out how to do it on my own. I like you was not satisfied with the way the water looked in REX and I do Like the water from the Zenteck (sp) Ultimate Water Program. Thanks jerrycwo4

I'm going to have to get some time freed up and get back to you guys on this. It's kind of hard to explain or should I say time consuming but once you get where I'm coming from it's actually easy in practice. I'll write something up as soon as I can.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

First you should leave REX to do the job, you know, chose texture, sky, clouds...after that turn off REX, and install Zinertek water, than again turn on REX and UNCHECK everything accept tropical water, and SAVE IT. Then REX is goin to change only tropical water textures, everything else is from Zinertek. And you will have great looking water in FS.Hope this will help. :(

First you should leave REX to do the job, you know, chose texture, sky, clouds...after that turn off REX, and install Zinertek water, than again turn on REX and UNCHECK everything accept tropical water, and SAVE IT. Then REX is goin to change only tropical water textures, everything else is from Zinertek. And you will have great looking water in FS.Hope this will help. :(
This is actually true... There is one more thing that needs to be done. The files '056b2wa1.bmp', '057b2wa1.bmp', and '058b2wa1.bmp' are all tropical textures in your FS9\Texture directory. These files add extra tropical textures that you can actually do without. What I mean by this is REX omitted the extra tropical textures which looked like big squares in the Caribbean that served no purpose and wasn't realistic to what's actually there in the real world. When you reinstall Zinertek's Ultimate Water after your initial install of REX's textures Zinertek puts the default scheme back in FS so these big blocks are back in the Caribbean like before. I like how REX took these files and made them standard water textures leaving 90% of the coral texture around islands (don't get me wrong here, reefs are still present you just loose the big coral blocks in the middle no where or sometimes right next to islands).Here's how it's done:1. Find the files I mentioned above (after Zinertek water is installed). Make backups of these three files.2. Copy the texture '051b2wa1.bmp' to a test folder. '051b2wa1.bmp' will be the file all three of the Tropical textures will become.3. Copy '051b2wa1.bmp' three times and change each of the three files to one of the names of the three files mentioned above.4. The new files that are actually the same texture with different names should be placed in you FS9\Texture folder.Launch FS9 and fly around the Caribbean. Without the extra Tropical texture the Caribbean waters have a more even flow. Like I said I liked the way REX omitted these textures or should I say covered them up like I've shown above. I just did the same with Zinertek's water manually which works out just as good.In REX you can always switch up what coral texture you would like to see in FS's waters. Like what was mentioned above you un-check everything except 'Tropical Water' and then go choose what you want within REX. Never have any water options checked you don't want to change and diffidently don't check 'Ocean Water' or 'Water Env. Reflection' or you loose everything you've gained by going back to Zinertek's Water (thus repeating everything I just showed you here).

FS2020 

Sorry, Don't you mean the Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\World\texture folder in both references?

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Thanks Dillon, PROPS :(Any suggestions on how I can also keep the inland water from Flight Environment.... my wishlist would be 1) REX Tropical (as you have configured)2) FE Inland water (most realistic colors of all)3) Zinertek for everything else Thanks again :(

WAT1460.png

Thanks Dillon, PROPS :(Any suggestions on how I can also keep the inland water from Flight Environment.... my wishlist would be 1) REX Tropical (as you have configured)2) FE Inland water (most realistic colors of all)3) Zinertek for everything else Thanks again :(
You might have to start over again with your water install. You don't need to install all of REX's textures again just the water.1. You need to find out what .bmp files are for inland water in your FS9\Texture directory. REX keeps a nice backup of everything in their backup folder. I'm at work so I don't have the correct path. Just look in 'Programs Files' and find REX's install. I should be obvious what folders have the various backups. Look through them if you have problems and make sure you have the option 'View\Thumbnails\' chosen in Windows Explorer so you can see an example of the texture. You can also browse through REX's texture examples and find the file name for the inland water texture REX uses in the same installed directory for REX's application.2. Once you have the file names (if there's more than one) you can run FE configurator and hopefully have the option to just update the water textures.3. Make a copy of FE's inland water texture and put it somewhere. The same should be done with the files I told you to switch over above so you don't have to do all that work again.4. Install Zinertek's water.5. Run REX's configurator and only choose The two options mentioned above in this thread.6. Copy over the updates I mentioned above and then the FE inland water texture.That's about it....

FS2020 

You might have to start over again with your water install. You don't need to install all of REX's textures again just the water.1. You need to find out what .bmp files are for inland water in your FS9\Texture directory. REX keeps a nice backup of everything in their backup folder. I'm at work so I don't have the correct path. Just look in 'Programs Files' and find REX's install. I should be obvious what folders have the various backups. Look through them if you have problems and make sure you have the option 'View\Thumbnails\' chosen in Windows Explorer so you can see an example of the texture. You can also browse through REX's texture examples and find the file name for the inland water texture REX uses in the same installed directory for REX's application.2. Once you have the file names (if there's more than one) you can run FE configurator and hopefully have the option to just update the water textures.3. Make a copy of FE's inland water texture and put it somewhere. The same should be done with the files I told you to switch over above so you don't have to do all that work again.4. Install Zinertek's water.5. Run REX's configurator and only choose The two options mentioned above in this thread.6. Copy over the updates I mentioned above and then the FE inland water texture.That's about it....
Thanks,I understand what process you are performing. I guess the biggest trick here is identifying the FE inland water texture files. Once I can figure out which files are INLAND FE bmp's it's just a matter of applying those to the current MSFS files after everything else has been completed.BTW, unfortunately FE is an all or nothing install - (Clouds, Sky texture, Water). It has to be installed first and then the clouds, skies, other waters have to overwritten by subsequent programs (REX, Zinertek) Hopefully developers in the future will follow the REX lead and provide the options for pick and choose items from the software's user interface. :(

WAT1460.png