Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Abnormal procedures - EICAS messages

Hi,The EICAS messages described in the Abnormal Procedures pdf document provided with the PMDG 747, are effectively likely to appear on the EICAS? Or are they the real world messages and only a part of them may appear on the EICAS?Please, PMDG Team, write clearly on the documents when an item is not applicable to the PMDG 747!! Otherwise we are disappointed if we find out that the item is not modelled!Thanks.

James Goggi

Shows my ignorance, I thought they were all modelled (or at least almost all).

Dan Downs KCRP

I don't know Dan if they are, that's what I would like to know and that's why I would like a developer to tell us. For example the ENG FUEL FILTER Message, there is no failure to the fuel filter that can be triggered through the failure window. How can one know then if it will ever appear or not?

James Goggi

James, are you suggesting that they delete everything from the manual, such as clogged filters, if it is not accompanied with the means to trigger the event? Just checking.

Dan Downs KCRP

No, no, absolutely. I would be extremely happy to see a fuel filter message even if not triggered in the failure menu. I just mean that if that failure scenario has not been modelled, they should not mention it in the manual.

James Goggi

Uh? I thought that is what I asked. Now I am confused so I'll just leave you to your ruminations.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok, say I am the developer and I know that I have not modelled a fuel filter clogging and I have not modelled an EICAS message saying ENG FUEL FILTER. Why do I write in the manual that one of the possible failures in the PMDG 747 could be ENG FUEL FILTER if I KNOW that I have not modelled it? It is like deceiving the user. I should at least write NOT MODELLED beside it, if I want to include anyway in the manual all the failures of the real 747. Or not?

James Goggi

Ok, say I am the developer and I know that I have not modelled a fuel filter clogging and I have not modelled an EICAS message saying ENG FUEL FILTER. Why do I write in the manual that one of the possible failures in the PMDG 747 could be ENG FUEL FILTER if I KNOW that I have not modelled it? It is like deceiving the user. I should at least write NOT MODELLED beside it, if I want to include anyway in the manual all the failures of the real 747. Or not?
Wow! No offense James, but if you are worried about whether ENG FUEL FILTER is modeled, then you probably should be looking to a simulator more aimed at training professional pilots. Check with the airlines who operate the 747-400. Some may offer time/training in a Level-D sim (for a substantial fee, of course!) Fidel Lopez

Guest hangar744

Hi there,this is how it is on the 744, I'm not sure about the PMDG bird: ENG 1 FUEL FILT - EICAS ADVISORYENG 1 FUEL FILT - EICAS STATUSENG 2 FUEL FILT - EICAS ADVISORYENG 2 FUEL FILT - EICAS STATUSENG 3 FUEL FILT - EICAS ADVISORYENG 3 FUEL FILT - EICAS STATUSENG 4 FUEL FILT - EICAS ADVISORYENG 4 FUEL FILT - EICAS STATUSsincerely,delcom

Developers??? Can you say a word about this subject?Thanks.

James Goggi

Guest hangar744
Developers??? Can you say a word about this subject?Thanks.
James,I think you can find it out yourself using common sense. I cannot check it for you at the moment, because my PMDG 744 is undergoing D-Check, fuel tanks open...so no electrical power allowed :( (I just do not have FS installed at the moment).cheers,delcom

I think you can find it out yourself using common sense.
What do you mean? Well, I read that the developers said that about 350 EICAS messages are implemented, so I would like to trust that all those messages in the abnormal procedures are implemented :(

James Goggi

Guest hangar744
What do you mean? Well, I read that the developers said that about 350 EICAS messages are implemented, so I would like to trust that all those messages in the abnormal procedures are implemented :(
Sorry, I was wrong...there is no way to find it out just by using common sense. I thought the fuel filter bypass switch was interacting through a logic inverter. Then it could have been possible to trigger these messages. Sorry, my bad. You really need a clogged filter to get that pressure switch grounded.I cannot think of any tricks to do that in FS. Perhaps some random failures? They put it in the manual for a reason, I guess.regards,delcom

Guest Darz750

For reply from developers, open a ticket on the PMDG home page, they reply to your issue very quick.At least they did it to me.... :(

Hi James,There are three different things here. There is the internal state simulating the real world. There is the logic to detect and react to that state, and there is the logic to trigger that state. The fact that you have not seen a particular EICAS message doesn't mean anything unless you have explicity generated the situation in which you should see it. To ask a developer to remove sections of the manual seems futile since you know as well as I do that someone will be along tomorrow saying they saw such and such a message in a photo from airliners.net and why isn't it in the manual. The next patch to the failure generator may include fuel contamination logic, in which case, you might get to your message. Then again, you might not.