Sign in to follow this  
Guest melevine

Do you think a Video card upgrade makes sense in my case?

Guest melevine

I'm running MSFS2004 on:a Dell Dimension 8400 3.6ghz processor (admittedly several generations removed from today's latest and greatest CPUs), w/4GB RAM running WinXP sp3 using NVidia 7950GT overclocked w/512mb RAM running 3-21" monitors (via TripleHead2Go) and 1 17" monitor from the video card's second head. I am using 9 GoFlight units and CH yoke, throttles, pedals. Finally use TrackIR. I have lots of complex airport scenery and many complex aircraft.......but the sim runs with reasonably good/adequate framerates for my purposes.My sim is tweaked to the max....as I have, over the years, faithfully read and followed (and tried) just about all the hints for getting the best performance. I do not plan to switch to FSX. I also do not plan to upgrade to the latest quad core computer since my setup works well. Is it still possible to eek out a few more FPS?Question: Since the prices are very reasonable on these, would it make any sense to upgrade to a new Video card (lets say something like GeForce 9800 GT 1GB GDDR3 ? or is the limiting performance factor for me trying to gain more FPS in this case essentially the CPU (not the GPU)?Thanks in advance,Mike

I'm running MSFS2004 on:a Dell Dimension 8400 3.6ghz processor (admittedly several generations removed from today's latest and greatest CPUs), w/4GB RAM running WinXP sp3 using NVidia 7950GT overclocked w/512mb RAM running 3-21" monitors (via TripleHead2Go) and 1 17" monitor from the video card's second head. I am using 9 GoFlight units and CH yoke, throttles, pedals. Finally use TrackIR. I have lots of complex airport scenery and many complex aircraft.......but the sim runs with reasonably good/adequate framerates for my purposes.My sim is tweaked to the max....as I have, over the years, faithfully read and followed (and tried) just about all the hints for getting the best performance. I do not plan to switch to FSX. I also do not plan to upgrade to the latest quad core computer since my setup works well. Is it still possible to eek out a few more FPS?Question: Since the prices are very reasonable on these, would it make any sense to upgrade to a new Video card (lets say something like GeForce 9800 GT 1GB GDDR3 ? or is the limiting performance factor for me trying to gain more FPS in this case essentially the CPU (not the GPU)?Thanks in advance,Mike
My opinion, in a word, no. You're always going to get performance increases with any upgrade you make...that's a fact. The question is, will you see it with the naked eye. I guess that's a matter of opinion, but given the speeds that the various computer components operate at, it's highly unlikely, given the upgrades you've already made.As someone who runs a slightly older 8300 (2.6) on XP that I've tweaked about as much as you have, I'd spend the money on a new machine. You've got you money's worth out of this one. :(

Guest melevine
My opinion, in a word, no. You're always going to get performance increases with any upgrade you make...that's a fact. The question is, will you see it with the naked eye. I guess that's a matter of opinion, but given the speeds that the various computer components operate at, it's highly unlikely, given the upgrades you've already made.As someone who runs a slightly older 8300 (2.6) on XP that I've tweaked about as much as you have, I'd spend the money on a new machine. You've got you money's worth out of this one. :(
Thanks Mike.......I could be wrong about this, but I thought that I read somewhere that MSFS2004 is not optimized to run on (or take advantage of) a multicore processor (dual or quad core....the machines of today)? So...that is one of the reasons that I hadn't even considered upgrading the computer itself since I only want to continue running FS9 and not FSX.Mike

Thanks Mike.......I could be wrong about this, but I thought that I read somewhere that MSFS2004 is not optimized to run on (or take advantage of) a multicore processor (dual or quad core....the machines of today)? So...that is one of the reasons that I hadn't even considered upgrading the computer itself since I only want to continue running FS9 and not FSX.Mike
Right, it won't take full advantage of it, being a 32bit program written long before today's processors, but with all that increase in processing power, it should give you a hell of a flight! :(

Well I differ in opinion. I'd say a gtx260 or 275 will improve FPS and smoothness A LOT!, esp because you're running a large resolution. I know when I went from my old 8800gts 512mb to my GTX275 on my 24inch monitor, the difference was pretty dramatic, esp because I run higher levels of AA and AF with a lot of add-on scenery. As long as you're not planning on upgrading everything in the near future, I'd def get a newer card to hold you over. And these 8000 series CPUs are very underestimated, I'm not planning on upgrading for a while.EDIT* Sorry, just realized from the other thread thats a P4 CPU and not the core duo. Because of that, I assume you won't get that 'dramatic' increase, but I believe still substantial.

Guest melevine
Well I differ in opinion. I'd say a gtx260 or 275 will improve FPS and smoothness A LOT!, esp because you're running a large resolution. I know when I went from my old 8800gts 512mb to my GTX275 on my 24inch monitor, the difference was pretty dramatic, esp because I run higher levels of AA and AF with a lot of add-on scenery. As long as you're not planning on upgrading everything in the near future, I'd def get a newer card to hold you over. And these 8000 series CPUs are very underestimated, I'm not planning on upgrading for a while.EDIT* Sorry, just realized from the other thread thats a P4 CPU and not the core duo. Because of that, I assume you won't get that 'dramatic' increase, but I believe still substantial.
Hi Red,That is what I'm just trying to do here, to get a little improvement in "smoothness" (responsiveness of the plane to my yoke/pedal inputs) via a moderate bump up of FPS principally in the approach to the more complex airports in real weather (which can be quite cloudy at times and be very demanding on the CPU and GPU). As for flying at altitude or on the climb out from those same places....FPS increase just fine and the sim hums along nicely for me.So.....if I'm correct in reading you...you DO advise me to upgrade to one of those cards. Is there any downside for me if I try that (for example....not having a large enough power supply, overheating?). I did increase my power supply two years ago from the smallish one that came with the Dell computer to (if my memory serves me right ) a 500 watt unit. I sometimes check the temp on the current setup and have never seen any rise from its normally low reading. Since I'm currently running an Nvidia 7950 GT with 512 RAM....do you think that a jump up to a 9800GT with 1GB RAM would also give me enough boost (since the prices now are good on those generation cards) or do you think that a GTX 260 or 275 would be the only way to go in this case? I haven't priced those yet.I do appreciate your responses...thanks.Mike

500watt PSU should be just fine as long as it's a decent one, just make sure you have the proper plug as most cards now require additional power plugs. You SHOULD see at least a modest increase in FPS, but probably more because of your high resolution. It's really had to say with that CPU. If it were me, I'd try to go with at least a 260 if it will fit in your case.What you can do is, if you have a bestbuy or similar next to you, go pick up whatever card they have and try it out (they should have at least the 260). You always have 30 days to return it.

Guest melevine
500watt PSU should be just fine as long as it's a decent one, just make sure you have the proper plug as most cards now require additional power plugs. You SHOULD see at least a modest increase in FPS, but probably more because of your high resolution. It's really had to say with that CPU. If it were me, I'd try to go with at least a 260 if it will fit in your case.What you can do is, if you have a bestbuy or similar next to you, go pick up whatever card they have and try it out (they should have at least the 260). You always have 30 days to return it.
That's a great idea.....Thanks again.Mike