Sign in to follow this  
pcubine

MD-11 Screen Freezes

This thread could be posted in almost any forum as this problem happens to PMDG MD-11, PMDG 744 and 748 and CS 752, 762, and 763; however the last time this happened was this morning in a MD-11 going from KORD to PANC. With the MD11 I was 3:32 into to the flight. Last night it happened twice in the PMDG 744 on the same route at about the two hour mark both times. Between pre-flight and fight I have wasted ten hours. It occurs in all these planes at one time or another. It only happens at crz altitude; never at TO, climb, descent, approach or landing. The way to spot it is when the DME in ND stops showing any change in NM or the mouse doesn't work or the keys don't work. The only keys I can get to work are Ctrl,Alt, Del to bring up the Task Manager which shows Flight Simulator not responding. I can still hear the plane running but the only thing I know to do is to end the program.I am not looking for a permanent fix. My question is: can I do anything to continue the flight.I am running a KLAX-KATL on the PC where FSX is located. I will be interested to see what happens.Thank youMichael Cubine

This thread could be posted in almost any forum as this problem happens to PMDG MD-11, PMDG 744 and 748 and CS 752, 762, and 763; however the last time this happened was this morning in a MD-11 going from KORD to PANC. With the MD11 I was 3:32 into to the flight. Last night it happened twice in the PMDG 744 on the same route at about the two hour mark both times. Between pre-flight and fight I have wasted ten hours. It occurs in all these planes at one time or another. It only happens at crz altitude; never at TO, climb, descent, approach or landing. The way to spot it is when the DME in ND stops showing any change in NM or the mouse doesn't work or the keys don't work. The only keys I can get to work are Ctrl,Alt, Del to bring up the Task Manager which shows Flight Simulator not responding. I can still hear the plane running but the only thing I know to do is to end the program.I am not looking for a permanent fix. My question is: can I do anything to continue the flight.I am running a KLAX-KATL on the PC where FSX is located. I will be interested to see what happens.Thank youMichael Cubine
The only think I could imagine, is to shut down all programs, virus, etc in the taskbar. Also try to get a good defrag programwhich can optimize your files when defragging. I.e it will let you have all those files you use most, on the first place on the disk.MS defrag program isn

Can you post your system specs including your operating system please. There are several things that can cause this, including memory issues and corrupt FSX SP2.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Michael, try pressing A then Shift+A. This usually wakes up frozen FSX displays.

Dan Downs KCRP

The only think I could imagine, is to shut down all programs, virus, etc in the taskbar. Also try to get a good defrag programwhich can optimize your files when defragging. I.e it will let you have all those files you use most, on the first place on the disk.MS defrag program isn

Can you post your system specs including your operating system please. There are several things that can cause this, including memory issues and corrupt FSX SP2.
GaryI found the packing list. I will combine it's info with the Device Manager info and hopefully this will help you. If you need any additional info please let me know.Processor Intel® Core i7-950 at 3.07 GHzDisk Drives 320GB10K & 640GB7200rpmSATAGb/sharddrives. I believe these are Western Digital drives. Almost everything is on the 320GB drive. Very little is on the 649GB drive.Memory 9GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [5 DIMMS]Display Adapters 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 [DVI, HDMI,VGA]Monitor HP 2159 Series Wide LCD MonitorSound, Video, andGame Controller NVIDIA High Definition Audio RealTek High Defintion AudioOperating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bitAntivirus Norton Internet Security 2009 Integrated7.1chanelsoundw/front audioports HP Wireless keyboard and MS optical mouse.I believe this is all that would pertain to the current problem.Thank youMichael Cubine

The only downloads of SmartDefrag I can find are freeware Version 1.4. I am going to download it from CNet, install, and use it. From what I have read in the past the defragmenter that comes with Windows is not that good.Thank youMichael Cubine
I have this payware http://www.iobit.com/smartdefragserver.htmlI have XP-64 bit pro. It will work under Vista 64 bit also.Operating Systems SupportedMicrosoft

GaryI found the packing list. I will combine it's info with the Device Manager info and hopefully this will help you. If you need any additional info please let me know.Processor Intel

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Michael there is so many things that this could be it could get quite difficult to fix. A lot of others are experiencing a related failure see this: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=263150 It would seem that others are saying that FSX will resume after 10-30-minutes on its own. Some say hitting ALT + Enter to switch to window mode then doing it again to switch to full screen seems to bring it back.CommentaryYour system is a great system however there are three things I would like to improve as follows: (more of a personal commentary than a definitive cause of problem)1) GT 220 is way too weak for that system and does not do the rest of the components justice. I am not suggesting this is the cause of your issue but personally I couldn't sleep at night with that card in my box. Money prevailing I would change that card to a minimum GTX260 with a preference for a GTX 285 Note may require a larger power supply if changing to one of these cards.2) 9GB RAM on 5-slots is a waste for FSX and could potentially cause you trouble because the more sticks of RAM you put in the more load you place on other components of your system like the PCI bus, more power consumption and line load on board, more load on the memory controller. Also since they put in 5-sticks of RAM you are not taking advantage of triple channel memory presuming your board is capable. a) Remove one of the 2GB sticks and the one 1GB stick and make sure the remaining three are in the correct slots for the motherboard when using 3-sticks. This will leave you 6GB for your system more than ample for any home user.3) Vista. If I was FSX dedicated I would go with XP-64 failing that W7-64.:( I presume your system is new any chance for a W7 upgrade? It may be included with your recent Vista purchase. Check Microsoft and see: https://windows7upgradeoption.com/Faq.aspx Additional QuestionsMichael if you respond back include:c) What other software do you use with FSX? In example: weather program, scenery, yolk rudders, FSUIPC SP2 or Acceleration.d) Can you say if you are doing anything else when the freeze occurs or just in cruise not doing anything e.t.c.e) What is your Power supply rated power in watts?f) FSX SP1 SP2 Acceleration?g) Is this a new system? If no did FSX ever work right? If it did work right any changes prior to the issue starting?h) Do you know what the Motherboard manufacturer is?i) Do you know what the RAM is as far as make and timing?Plan of Attack What I would do in approximate order if I were in your shoes.P1) Update all software.Pa) BiosPb) Video http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista...96.21_whql.html Pc) SoundPd) ChipsetPe) Go to Microsoft updates and select "Custom" Then update everything except Drivers. Only install the Drivers if you are sure of what they are.Pf) Update DirectX http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...6a-9b6652cd92a3 Pg) Update C++ http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB961894/Re...?ReleaseId=2067 Ph) Ensure FSX SP1 and SP2 are installed or that you have Acceleration installed. (You do not need SP2 if Acceleration is installed).P2) Run Flight1 Registry Repair Tool http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exe P3) Create a new user account http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303032 P4) Remove RAM as stated in commentary 2a, above.P5) set your computer up as stated in this post: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 Note: Pay special attention to items that are not applicable to Vista/W7 and those that are. P6) Tune your computer using this: http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208959973 Note: Pay special attention to items that are not applicable to Vista/W7 and those that are.All of that above may not cure your problem however it is sound advice and the way that I would (have) set my system up regardless.If I still had the problem after all of the above I would test my memory one stick at a time using mem86 http://www.memtest86.com/
GaryI am still reading the links that you have provided and researching various hardware options in particular the GTX285 video card. I have had one freeze in 18 flights since I ran the defrag Sunday night. These flights include KLAX-KJFK, KSEA-KBOS, KDFW-KLAX, KDFW-KSFO, flights up and down the east coast and within Florida. The freeze was 43 minutes into a PANC-PHNL. I recovered and continued on by pressing the a key, releasing it, and pressing a + Shift keys. Once I have finished the links on your post, reviewed the hardware situation, and am able to answer your question I will reply.ThanksMichael Cubine

Guest tagrant60

Just hit the ESC(Escape) key.... (dont shut it down of course!)..... the click on "continue flying"..... works every time for me.Tim

Just hit the ESC(Escape) key.... (dont shut it down of course!)..... the click on "continue flying"..... works every time for me.Tim
In post #1 I wrote that none of the keys worked with the exception of Ctrl+Alt+Delete. I can't escape when the keys doesn't work.Thank youNike Cubine