Sign in to follow this  
Guest 1000101011

REX + GEX + UTX

Guest 1000101011

Hi there all!First off I am new here so go easy on me - today is like christmas for me as I have so far purchased the following for my new PC (ATI 5870 // 4GB RAM (will this be enough?) // AMD Phenom II 3.2Ghz Quad Core etc):X52 Pro Flight stickFSXTraffic Xnow I am looking for what you guys would recommend are essential terrain, weather and improved texturing addons, from the bit of research I have done I am looking at these but not sure if some will overlap others:REX (this looks amazing, especially the coral reef wave video)GEXUTXHow does this look? if there are any other essential addons you guys can think of that will make my sim look as good as possible, I would be greatful for some input. I've also been looking at some of the PMDG models, any others? (AC-130 would be awesome // B52).This is one of the models I am looking at right now: http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/product/js4100.htmlI also notice the ice crystals developing on the windshield, is this a mod or default effects with the model?Also looking at virtual airlines at some point too.Thanks very much guysMartin

Hi Martin, can you fly? Forgive me for asking such a basic question but when you say are new, how new are you? If you are not familiar with GA and basic navigation then I would recommend you start with the default aircraft and do the training missions in between having fun, otherwise you will end up spending good money on stuff like PMDG's 747 and not be able to get off the ground. That will leave you annoyed and frustrated and you will be tempted to find another hobby instead. If you don't believe me, just look at some of the older posts in the JS41 forum, where experianced simmers could not even get the engines started (myself included)! Spend the money you want to spend on scenery and terrain on an introductory flight at your local flight school instead. Then, knowing how it should feel and after you have tought yourself how to take-off, land, and navigate in FSX, you can pick the extras that suit your needs. Want to fly low and slow, Carenado 152 and Tongass Fjords. Commercial suits you better, PMDG 747 and Mega Heathrow. Like to fly VFR/IFR regional shorthops? UTX, GEX, JS4100 and freeware airports. Tramp Freighter? PMDG's MD11 and up-to-date navigraph subscription.

Guest 1000101011

Hi PaulNo problems about the question, in all honesty I am a novice - I used to own FSX a couple of years ago but sold it with my PC, I had the PMDG 737 and Concorde (Flight 1 or PSS I can't remember), printed the PDF's and went through the pre-flight checks - I got it (Concorde struggled - 737 ok) off the ground but didn't really get the best out of the product due to my lack of experience, it was make it up as I go along which is not the way I want to do things now.Soooo I wish to start from the beginning working my way up to flying cargo runs for a virtual airline, I would prefer cargo military (or just military such as Hercules, Starlifters, Galaxy, AC-130 etc just enjoying long distance flights in real time when I have the time, hence why I want my version of FSX to look good and as real as possible no matter where in the world I maybe, I think my PC is up to the job (may add another 4GB ram)).What would your recommendations be?ThanksMartin

now I am looking for what you guys would recommend are essential terrain, weather and improved texturing addons, from the bit of research I have done I am looking at these but not sure if some will overlap others:REX (this looks amazing, especially the coral reef wave video)GEXUTXHow does this look? if there are any other essential addons you guys can think of that will make my sim look as good as possible, I would be greatful for some input. I've also been looking at some of the PMDG models, any others? (AC-130 would be awesome // B52).
Martin, Second one is easy: The icing is standard. If you sit there on the ground for pre flight, you will notice the collection on the windshield.I've been using Rex 2.0 for about 6 months and love it. It is highly real and has great weather textures. Marginal frame hit, but so worth it. I usually fly RW WX, and I've had some difficulty pulling the weather down to the minimums regularly, but other than that, its great.I actually just purchased UTX (USA) and GEX (N.A.) this weekend and love them both. I'm using the "recommended settings" that they calculate for you and haven't noticed any frame hit. I'm going to play with them some more in the coming weeks, but since they let you activate or deactivate certain features (and tell you what kind of a load each has on the system), I think it would be possible to do manipulate it so as to minimize any hit.My specs: Asus P6T, i7-920, 6GB, GTX 260 (my weak spot, probably), Velociraptor drives. Windows 7, 64b-pro. And, to respond to the other people: I'm not sure it matters if you fly to enjoy these products. I used to avoid these kind of add-ons and just focus on buying highly realistic plane add-ons. These products all effect the look and feel in FSX. You could fly the default 172 and enjoy them.

Guest 1000101011

In that case the icing looks awesome, I know its only a minor detail on an incredibly detailed model but it looks great! its all about the realism after all.In terms of REX 2.0 I presume as far as real time world weather // cloud // lighting effects this is the only add-on required? based on your post I'll add GEX and UTX into the mix too then, I was just worried about overlap with similar products but sounds like they all compliment each other real well... the screenies are excellent!I think that I need to get the jist of basic flying nailed down so I will begin doing this in the basic planes, but if I could buy a detailed model that would go half way between the 747-400 in your sig and the default FSX planes without sacrificing the learning curve, I would like to do this as they are so much more realistic, do you have any recommendations on PMDG models that might be ok for learning in too?I assume the basic FSX tutorials are good enough for the basics of flight?Just added another 4GB to my system, so I now have 8GB hopefully that should sort out any issues with performance! (broke the bank aswell!)Thanks for the info guys it is much appreciatedEDIT: I don't suppose there is also a detailed B1-B model available (payware) is there? (once I've finished the tutorials!)

I would suggest something like Carenado's Cessna 185 or 206 for quality GA flying to enjoy your scenery while learning the basics. Stepping from there to a full blown commercial is a BIG step, but perhaps something like the SimCheck A300 might soften the blow. It is a twin jet heavy with VOR to VOR navigation, limited autopilot with no VNAV, and no FMC, but will give you short and long haul cargo routes, flight, route and fuel planning and practice flying SIDs, STARs and routes. Or, if you prefer, you could go the turbo prop route with the ATR52 or JS41. The JS41 is by far the prettier and more accurately modeled, but is not the easiest aircraft to fly. Both are short haul passenger and will get you in and out of smaller airports and keep you closer to your scenery. Both can be flown from fully VFR to nearly fully FMC assisted RNAV, dependent on your skill level. There is a C130 from Captain-Sim that you can get. It looks pretty and would give you the military/cargo options that you are looking for but I found it hard to get enthusiastic about it. I felt like the default airbus to fly. Nothing actually wrong with it, just not remotely interesting. Top end stuff like PMDG's 747, MD-11 and upcoming 737 all have steep learning curves and demand that you fly them 'by the book'. That said, once learnt, they are hugely enjoyable and are very easy to fly (one you know how) because they are so highly automated.

I think that I need to get the jist of basic flying nailed down so I will begin doing this in the basic planes, but if I could buy a detailed model that would go half way between the 747-400 in your sig and the default FSX planes without sacrificing the learning curve, I would like to do this as they are so much more realistic, do you have any recommendations on PMDG models that might be ok for learning in too?I assume the basic FSX tutorials are good enough for the basics of flight?
Yhea, but keep in mind that it is truly basic. And in my opinion they are terribly written, they are the only flight training material I was bored to tears trying to read.The PMDG JS41 is good if you want to "learn" flying because it is the closest to being a GA aircraft, slow speeds, low altitudes, still has LNAV capabilities, a pretty basic vertical profile computer, but it is good to give you a chance to try and fly VOR based cross country, and IAPs.The bigger the aircraft the more skill will take to fly it, not neccesarily to operate the flight controls, but the fact you have to think so many steps ahead to prevent the aircraft from getting into a position that could be absolutly disasterous. When you start flying say the 744, you now have to learn how to operate the FMC, a Boeing type Autopilot, and get pretty good at flying ILS down to DH.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

In terms of REX 2.0 I presume as far as real time world weather // cloud // lighting effects this is the only add-on required? based on your post I'll add GEX and UTX into the mix too then, I was just worried about overlap with similar products but sounds like they all compliment each other real well... the screenies are excellent!
There is some overlap, where REX 2.0 has some improved water textures and the like, but they are really completely different programs. REX 2.0 is primarily weather and the others are ground effects. Don't feel obligated to buy all at once (although you should buy UTX and GEX together if you do buy them), so maybe just buy REX for now, give it a spin and then come back to the land changes later.

Guest 1000101011

Thank you very much guys for your help, I have decided on:PMDG JS41Traffic-XGEXUTXRex 2.0and later TrackIR 5 Pro (I have no money now! - what is the verdict on this, is it a must have?)Today my X52 Pro arrived, FSX Gold and extra RAM, so looking forward to some learning tonight when I get in from work!Can anyone recommend an alternative tutorial product? are any included with the models, it needs to cover basic flying or are the default tutorials good enough for this? Obviously this won't be done in the JS41!

Here's what I run as far as other addons besides our own:Scenery:Ultimate Terrain XGround Environment XREX2Ultimate Traffic 2FS Genesis USA 10m meshFS Dreamscapes Arizona 5m meshFTX PNWOther aircraft I use frequently:FeelThere ERJ 2.0Eaglesoft Citation XCarenado 182RGFlight1 Mustang (I was hard on this when it came out, but the updates have improved it tremendously, I like it now)Lotus Sim L-39Lionheart Quest Kodiak (this is awesome for PNW bush flying)Leonardo Maddog 2008Level-D 767-300

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest realatp
Here's what I run as far as other addons besides our own:Scenery:Ultimate Terrain XGround Environment XREX2Ultimate Traffic 2FS Genesis USA 10m meshFS Dreamscapes Arizona 5m meshFTX PNWOther aircraft I use frequently:FeelThere ERJ 2.0Eaglesoft Citation XCarenado 182RGFlight1 Mustang (I was hard on this when it came out, but the updates have improved it tremendously, I like it now)Lotus Sim L-39Lionheart Quest Kodiak (this is awesome for PNW bush flying)Leonardo Maddog 2008Level-D 767-300
Hey Ryan about that Mustang. I bought it when it first came out, but got a refund because of awaful FPS. Have any of these "updates" you talk about address performance? Thanks man.

Guest 1000101011

Thanks guys - very helpful!Last question sorry to be a pain, can someone recommend a fast track (if there is such a thing) to being able to fly heavy as opposed to short journey prop based, I would need to learn IFR // VFR, holding patterns, landing etc I have done this in games such as Lock On Modern Air Combat but that does not quite have the technicality as FSX (and I want to do it right) - what would be the quickest way to do this? I know you probably hear this alot and are thinking lack of patience etc, but I am itching to fly cargo // military (transport) as a hobby and wondered if anyone had found a quick way (but correct way) to do this without pages and pages of theory? I.E what should I do (essential) in the tutorial and what can I skip for now and pick up later.Thanks guys

I don't really have any performance problems with it Jordan - the main things I was upset about at the time it came out was the lack of terminal procedures and approaches other than the WAAS ones - they did add full Navigraph database support and that fixed that issue. The only feature that's really missing now is VNAV, which they've already said won't be done.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest realatp
I don't really have any performance problems with it Jordan - the main things I was upset about at the time it came out was the lack of terminal procedures and approaches other than the WAAS ones - they did add full Navigraph database support and that fixed that issue. The only feature that's really missing now is VNAV, which they've already said won't be done.
Thanks Ryan. I hope there up coming G1000 (172 182) projects have a good simulation of the G1000 or I'll pass. Probably will buy the Mustang again, didn't know G1000's where capable of VNAV.