Sign in to follow this  
maxter

Active Camera now payware :-(

All I can say is that I evaluate each "payware" product on its own merits. If it renders enough value to me personally...I pay for it. If not...I use the last available freeware version and then eventually phase it out. Im NOT paying for FSUIPC. It doesnt do enough for me, and I think Peter priced it too expensively for what it is. Thats my choice and only my opinion. I wish him success and thank him for his work til now. Same would go here for Active Camera. I use Active Camera Pro. Not later versions. I dont think any other versions are an improvement based on my own use, in fact later versions are seriously buggy IMHO.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest tascaso

Hey....if nobody buys it .... it will soon be free!Tony

well, I agree with Ryan, FWIW. The amazing thing to me is that active camera was ever free. IMO, it changes the whole feel of flying, the sense of realism in a vc cockpit goes doubly up when I use it.Each time I move my view over to see the radio stack, and then zoom in to change the freq, I realize I couldn't do this without AC.Bob Bernstein

I don't think that tactic has ever worked at any time in history.

Hi there i also dont like the way things going with freeware/payware.i like the work from activeCam, but to get 15 bucks it should work perfect and it does not, the outside walkaround makes still a mess with the terrain, so i dont will get it.... i am gonna wait till the better version comes in freeware.... :-)just my 2 centsMcDaniel

Well it's not suprising to see some trolls jumping from forum to forum spiling their complaints like a plague. [h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [h4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4] [h3] Realism on the horizon [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG @ 215/545|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]

>I am disgusted as well, Ryan....but not at having to pay for>addons to make my simming experience that much more realistic,>but all the negative comments towards a product that one day>is better than sliced bread and the next is the worse thing on>the face of the earth.Michael, did you actually read my *post* or just the salutation? "Disgusted" did not refer to having to pay, it referred to the people bashing Anticyclone's work, attempting to cheapen the actual act of programming it with non-sensical and unfounded statements like "it's only 50 lines of code" and just the majority opinion here that everyone is entitled to anything anyone else makes for this simulator for free.Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

This 'freeware moving to payware wave' is a sad trend. I think it's related to the fact that a large majority of the people over the world are forced to live 'economy driven', me included. This is happening since quite a while in business but it also starts to show up in our private lives. It's more and more accepted nowadays that everything has to be payed for. It would indeed be a very sad thing we have to pay for the coffee at our friends place. But it sure looks like 'we' are slowly but surely moving in that direction. Geesh, do I suffer from a mid-life crisis?? @-@

I want only say that we'd never be able to see things like this in FS2004 without Active Camera

Guest in_04

I have not used Active Camera before but was looking for the new release to get it. But now there is no way! For the $15 I can drive my car for more than a week. I will not spent near to 25% of the price the whole FS2004 cost for such a little utility.I know that it cost several houres to program such a tool and I have spent much time for utilities in the past, anyone remeber Weather Unlimited for FU3? Thats one of the utilities I made, others where never released but where very good.But I didn't do them for money, because you couldn't sell enough to get a good amount of it.So I think it is time to start programing again. Currently there are several ideas in my head what FS2004 should get on tools. But I know that the problem is the time I took to program I couldn't fly :-( So I think no tools from me for the next month (because FS2004 looks to good) but after that I will start again to program and the tools will be free!They wouldn't be perfect, they wouldn't be 100% error free and there would not be a great support from me. But they will work, at least on my PC, and they will be FREE!So lets start action against this payware thinking of many developers.ByeMarkus

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Markus!Hello, I have been doing some research on calls with Flight Sim through Assembly language to create a REALLY fast InterProcess instead of FSUIPC. If you want to get together and code some stuff together let me know!!!! I have been looking for other programmers who are into Flight Sim for just this reason. I develop with Visual Studio 6 & Visual Studio .NET as well as Assembly.

I think this type of uproar usually happens when something that was previously freeware becomes payware without significant changes. This is quite different from something where an earlier version was free but then a new and totally rewritten version is payware.It is pretty common that things that are worth a payware price originally that are distributed as freeware are automatically de-valued. So if they then later on try and charge a fee for it, that fee is considered too high. Because people were so used to getting the product for free. But this is also a choice the developer has made when they go freeware initially.I've never used ActiveCamera so I have no idea whether the asking price is too high. But it's threads like this one that will no doubt have more people bypassing the freeware route and go to strait payware from the beginning to avoid this de-valuing of their work.The thing that some people refuse to accept is that payware is a natural progression from freeware. Not everyone will go in that direction (in fact most won't). Most payware developers were formerly freeware developers. And there are always new freeware developers coming out with stuff.At this point if I were to develop something that I thought had even the slightest chance of being payware in the distant future I would seriously consider not releasing a early less mature free version of that add-on. Its just not worth the potential firestorm that could erupt should I make that switch to payware later on. I might rather let it sit on my HD and collect dust rather than release it as freeware.I'm sure other developers are beginning to think the same way. starting out as freeware may not be worth it.So by complaining about these switches from freeware to payware, you may be shooting yourself in the foot twice and may have accellerated the process of end of freeware as we know it.For this hobby to continue to be strong and vibrant, payware must be a part of it. And payware must continue to be a progression from freeware. The truth is when comparing all the freeware that is out there payware progression from freeware represents an extremely small percentage of add-ons.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

-If your Portuguese is better than my English then I'll apologise (I don't have MS word with it's fancy autocorrect function)-I never said I was a programer, I'm a BIOLOGIST!!! with interest in computer science, thus having programed a litle in several languages(you get the point no need to be picky with the speling :-roll ,the ones who program( very very well) are friends here at university...- about 50 lines of comand--> don't you understand irony??? :-violin Don't take it literaly!!! Of corse it has more than 50!!! maybe 50 is for defining variables.... the point is that the program is SMALL, and easy to implement!!! (even I can say that!!)I'm entitled to my opinion, live with it! I live with yours. If you bought the program and fell that is worthy, allright then good for you.