Sign in to follow this  
maxter

Active Camera now payware :-(

I too am distraught by the turning of another freeware add-on into payware. However, I think in this instance a large portion of the blame can be placed on us, the users. I remember seeing dozens of posts during the last free releases of ACP from people saying that they would happily pay for this wonderful add-on. While the add-on is wonderful, I don't think people really thought the the developers would literally interpret this to mean that people wouldn't mind paying :-roll. Now people are putting their money where their mouth is...Here is what I have to say to the developers of ACP: don't think that people don't appreciate your work because they aren't willing to fork over $15. The truth is, people were grateful that you devoted all your time and effort to provide a free add-on for hundreds of flight simmers to enjoy, not that you happened to have a utility that made the view controls more versatile.I hope this makes sense, so that developers can at least reconsider their future business models...

Wow, have you actually used ActiveCamera 2004? Because it's very hard to comprehend your attitude if you have. I can assure you that it's nowhere as simple as you make it to be or we'd have had multiple versions of it from several authors many times over by now. Can you emulate loading multiple views into a config file for later use with a keystroke? Can you walk around the outside of your plane with a keystroke? Can you get realistic head movements, turbulence, bouncing on the runway with a keystoke? I can understand if you're upset that they're charging and you love the program and can't afford it. But please, don't try to make like it's somehow dirt simple to program 'cause you're so far off base it isn't even funny. For my money (and I've laid it down for ActiveCamera already) it's got a great combination of quality and functionality and it works exactly as advertised. If you and your buddies can beat that, I'd love to see it. Please, by all means, develop a competitive program and give it away! I'd love to hear your views on the subject after you're done... I'll bet they'll be a little different than they are now.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Would have to also say I agree completely with Marty. I don't use Active Camera now but I may try the demo version and then decide whether or not to buy it based on its own merits. Or maybe I'll just wait for one of the incredible talents in the freeware community to develop another version that doesn't cost the user anything. This will stand or fall on it's own merits and supply/demand in the new "market".Perhaps the more disturbing thing is this is just another one of NUMEROUS freeware applications, some which have been free and widely used and appreciated for years, that have suddenly gone to payware in about the last 12 months. The line that "appreciation of my services in a friendly e-mail from a satisfied simmer is my only desired reward" has apparently worn thin for many, but thankfully not all. This includes the whole spectrum of MSFS files but in particular weather, flight planning and scenery applications. Since MS keeps pushing a new version of FS out on a pretty consistent basis, there is a pretty significant spike in my credit card account around the time a new version comes out. Developers often use the release of a new sim to ask for more $$ so that their application is "compatible". Often the response is that "we never intended this software to be updated forever", and "it includes new features to accommodate those in the new FS release". Sometimes this is true, sometimes maybe not so true. At any rate a pattern has definitely taken hold where MS knows that as long as they keep moving forward on the basic sim architecture (read sim scenery), add-on developers will do the real work of helping generate a quality flying environment experience. Which means I'll probably spend $500 or so on this $50 sim to get it to where FS2002 was for me (I'm not including the hardware upgrades each new sim release demands....). This is disturbing to me to some degree and has certainly changed the FS environment and community more than anything else since I've been a happy member. The disturbing trend of releasing payware that is clearly not ready for prime time use at time of release resulting in a predictable run of angry forum posts, patches; not to mention some of the irritating anti-piracy gyrations now in place, is also a concern. I am extremely happy to hear that some restrictions will be adopted to ensure that Squawkbox VATC applications won't go over to the paywrae side, because I was already expecting the announcement in the near future that some type of user fees will be in effect for the code or the on-line flying time. That is great news.My personal strategy is to make a bigger effort to say "thanks" to all of the great freeware developers out there, as well as providing constructive feedback when I can (since I have no programming skills myself), and also to be a lot more judicious about what I lay the plastic down for in the past. This has started to hit a nerve for me recently and I guess it is encouraging to read that I'm not the only one...regards,

Guest Speedbird1

And spare a thought for Virtual Airlines, a lot of people would be quite astonished to know how much British Airways Virtual pays out in sever costs and development time to run for its members each year.We too, have been offered donations in the past but we cannot accept as we are trying to play our part in keeping costs down and the reason we do it for free is because we ENJOY what we provide.This is by no means not a swipe at Active Camera, but I have sensed and I have said it many times to my colleagues at BAV that this is the way the FS scene will go.By turning a product into payware you do open yourself to more scrutiny as you then become obligated to your customers to provide better support than you did on the freeware level.

I never used Active Camera in FS2002 and will most definitely not use it in FS2004 now. I've have to save up for a new computer, then save for FSUIPC.But first, I have to save some money for the bus, to get FS2004...

Guest Ashleigh Davidson

"thanks" to all of the great freeware developers out there.True enough Chris, I help out with a few freeware designers. What has become very annoying, are the demands and insulting emails by some. In real terms there are not so many designers around, sure plenty of repainters, you only need to look on the front pages. The file libraries are full of repaints. This is not to take anything away from painters , some do an outstanding job, but to demand and insult what you had for free ? Should we expect anybody of sound mind to tolerate such rudeness and continue ?I really don't know what the answer is. I know of at least 6 great designers who's work is above the current level of payware. Due to the actions past of some, the only people to see them are friends and family. So you all lose out by the actions of the few.Why not go payware ? Simple, they like what they do and have no desire to have the commercial pressue. To them it is what we term, a hobby and a simple thanks would suffice.AD

Did I used it with fs2004? NODid I used it with fs2002? YES! when PMDG came out with an virtual cabin an I've found it (the active camera) neat.Do I love the program? NO! there are few things in live that I love and they aren't sofware.Can I aford it? YES.Am I upset? Absolutly not! I do not get upset about meaningless stuff.. I do Get upset with the nerve of some people thinking that we (the fs comunity) are a bunch of " bumb yes man" accepting all they throw up on us and thus thinking they can make an easy buck! And worst than that making us belive that we owe them a favor!! FS started being an comunity who shared an comon interest in aviation related maters, and as such shared the knoledge, experiences, ideas, from all over the world, and all of us invested personal time and money that could been used in other things in live, to provide others with panels, sound, liverys, gauges, utilitys, planes you name it...this passion grew big and bought a lot of people into fsiming, it was (is) fun and rewarding to see people using an apreciating our work...It grew so big and people started to "demand" such a complexity that the personal time devoted to develop something could no longer sufice.... so undertstandibly payware was born. they "peacefully" coexisted they were diferent things, one could instantly tell the diference bethwen an payworthy aplication from the others. But today it's a diferent thing, we see absolutly amazing products being shared for free and people complain about them, and we see meaningless product that just because are payware people just make them look like the ultimate best thing and go rushing out telling everone whow good and moneyworthy..... Im starting to thing that FS comunity is being currupted, and no longer being a comunity, but a store, kind what hapened troughout the years with the internet: In the begining a comunity, now a huge megastore (try serching for something and i bet that some one sells it, even ideas are now sold in the net) the diference is that the net is huge and can aford to have both a market and enthusiasts, FS is small and were losing the comunity...Now back to the program. YES it is simple, more that simple actualy BASIC, and we dont see more of them because the existing one was good enough an free so why bother? We only need one of these things compared to planes or other things... Everyday I see shared by a lot of people aplications or add ons or whatever, that are WAYY more complex or time consuming....I wish them (Active camera team) all the luck they can get, and many custumers for that mater, because noone is forced to buy they product, so the ones who do it feel that is worthy....

Guest MHawk

This is nuts...now, money for Active Sky? Sheesh... It seems the heart of flight simming, which I always thought was the free-sharing of ideas and efforts...is being broken, week by week.

Guest crashing_pilot

>But first, I have to save some money for the bus, to get>FS2004...phew....i'll not upgrade until fs2006 hits the shelves...i'm out of money,so that's a no go for me ;-) (though i could still afford the busride fortunately ;-) )but,on the bright side:1)fsuipc is still free for me(though i will send the dude my money,he DESERVES it,and i'll be ready for fs2004 in 2 years ;-) )2)i've managed to save most addons together,and3)i've got no issues whatsoever,they're all sorted out :-lol4)i'm just having fun,no more,no less...hard to get nowadays it seems.so,i guess i'm the real lucky dude eh?:-lol :-lol

>This is nuts...now, money for Active Sky? Sheesh... (We knew what you meant *grin*)

Guest Fortress

>And spare a thought for Virtual Airlines, a lot of people would be quite astonished to know how much British Airways Virtual pays out in sever costs and development time to run for its members each year....and don't think that isn't greatly appreciated Stephen - because it is!Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo[p]AMD XP2800+ Barton, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2, 1Gig Crucial PC3200 DDR 400MHz, Gainward 128 MB GF4-4200, SB Audigy, 3 x WD Caviar SE[/p]

>People brought machine binding onto themselves by "sharing">software with their friends, neighbours, family and colleagues>who would then "share" it with their friends and their>friends' friends, etc.No _I_ didn't. However, ActiveCamera is attempting to make me suffer for it.>I'd rather have a piece of software that's locked to my>hardware (if there is a good mechanism to get it reenabled if>the hardware changes) than having a piece of software that>costs several times what it could to account for the lost>sales due to piracy.Given the choices you list, I'd rather pay extra. (I prefer the "I bought it-I use it: theory, versus the "I bought it-I get to use it unless I want to do anything that a typical flight simmer would do so now I have to remember that site and find my original numbers and then email and wait for someone to send me what I paid for before so I can use what I paid for and that's only if they still exist and if they didn't I have to wait to beg online to find out who if anyone is keeping this up" theory.)

Sorry, man. I just completely disagree with you. In fact, we're so far off in our opinions it's hard to believe we've been using the same module. I guess the difference is that you don't see any value in ActiveCamera, whereas I can barely sim without it. I'm a VC flyer, plain and simple. AC2004 adds a LOT to my experience... it makes it much more realistic and believable and thus very much enhances the time I spend simming. I say that's worth the price of a couple of pizzas. Don't agree? I can live with that. But don't go around spreading the idea that somehow this was a simple program to create as the basis for your anti-payware arguments because it's just patently false. Unless you're currently looking at the decompiled source code for AC, don't even pretend you know what went into it because you have no idea. And if you are looking at decompiled source code, I'm sure Serge and Guillaume would love to know about that, too ;-).

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest HeavyFan

$15 upgrade for a Little program to view the plane outside is RIDCUOLOUS!!!! seems everything is becoming Payware, and Active Camera is not the Best little Program either for $15! When you go up high in spot view with Active Camera, the scenery gets all Distorted! So I would buy it if it was bug free, but for$15 upgrade, I will stick with the Default MS Spot View Feauture, to view my planes outside!!! Man this Hobby is getting very Expensive! First FSUIPC, then FS Meteo, now Active Camera, this is turning out not to be fun Like FS2002, did "FS2004 Readme say Freeware needs to be Payware to run FS2004??" MIKE :-fume :-fume :-mad :-mad :-roll :-roll

>Wow, have you actually used ActiveCamera 2004? Because it's>very hard to comprehend your attitude if you have. I can>assure you that it's nowhere as simple as you make it to be or>we'd have had multiple versions of it from several authors>many times over by now. Can you emulate loading multiple views>into a config file for later use with a keystroke? Can you>walk around the outside of your plane with a keystroke? Can>you get realistic head movements, turbulence, bouncing on the>runway with a keystoke? I can understand if you're upset that>they're charging and you love the program and can't afford it.While I'm not who you were replying to, you must remember that some of us don't use and don't like alot of those features that appeal to you. While can understand how the majority would like those things, I don't have a mousewheel (eeek! a 20th century mouse) and I don't like all that head bobbing. I don't do a virtual preflt so I don't need to do a walkaround. I just like to watch my acft flyby occasionally. In fact that is the reason I kept using an early active camera in FS2002 (several version old!)... I don't need the extras. I certainly feel no compulsion to pay for them. I feel even less compulsion to pay for others' sharing payware through being subjected to machine binding. (show me a flighsimmer that hasn't changed something in their machine, and I'll show you... someone who's broke? *grin*)