Sign in to follow this  
Guest kidaamnesiac

Wont stop climbing?

Guest kidaamnesiac

Hi all,I was doing a flight in the 747 today. I was on my departure climb to FL270, LNAV and VNAV armed. I had a bird strike, from FS2Crew, but continued as it all checked out.So I get to 27000 and the plane doesn't level out but keeps climbing to about 36000 feet. I don't get it. EICAS shows the elevator position is really far down the bottom. My hardware controls are fine, it's never happened to me and there's no warning of a failure. I command the plane to descend to 6000 feet for example, but it won't go lower than 33,000 feet. I have a screen shot but I don't know how to insert it into my post. I'm stumped here.So what could it be?! Any help would be appreciated.ThanksAndrew

Hard to tell, the mode annunciator on the PFD should give you a clue. Instead of using Fast Reply, open the more options and then you should be able to figure out how to add the picture.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest kidaamnesiac

Thanks. Uploading picture here. Forget the route, this was after making a 180 in the hopes of making a landing.

The FMA indicates SPD|LNAV|ALT and your MCP ALT is in the HOLD ALT so it looks like it is doing exactly what you told it to do. Check the manual and read up on the autopilot/flight director controls. If you want to descend here manually to FL270 use SPD (250 is pretty slow at this altitude) and VS to control your rate of descent to FL270.There is no way I can tell from this pic why it didn't level off at FL270. Sorry.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest kidaamnesiac
The FMA indicates SPD|LNAV|ALT and your MCP ALT is in the HOLD ALT so it looks like it is doing exactly what you told it to do. Check the manual and read up on the autopilot/flight director controls. If you want to descend here manually to FL270 use SPD (250 is pretty slow at this altitude) and VS to control your rate of descent to FL270.There is no way I can tell from this pic why it didn't level off at FL270. Sorry.
That picture was taken after a while of trying everything. I have done many flights with this bird. Originally I had the Left AP engaged with LNAV and VNAV - I also tried V/S and nothing. This is why I am so confused. I can't see any reason why this would happen. The following screenshot was taken slightly earlier before I started trying other things. As you can see, I just passed my target altitude and the MCP is set correctly as far as I can tell.

The answer is probably in the FMS. Notice on the ND the TOC is still ahead, so I wonder what the cruise altitude in the FMS is set to?I'm a little confused by the SPD indication while on VNAV PTH, and your power is on CRZ instead of climb. By any chance did you open another window like the MSFS map? I've had the 747 drop out of VNAV/SPD but the indications still said it was working. Pressing the VNAV button twice will reset it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest kidaamnesiac
The answer is probably in the FMS. Notice on the ND the TOC is still ahead, so I wonder what the cruise altitude in the FMS is set to?I'm a little confused by the SPD indication while on VNAV PTH, and your power is on CRZ instead of climb. By any chance did you open another window like the MSFS map? I've had the 747 drop out of VNAV/SPD but the indications still said it was working. Pressing the VNAV button twice will reset it.
FMC had all legs from and including TOC at FL270 until the T/D... I did open another window so maybe that's it. I am thinking it is a software glitch rather than a failure or incorrectly set-up system. I mean, I checked everything and I am not a 747 newbie which is why I am so confused.I'll try resetting it as you said next time. If that's not it, I'll post again. Thanks for your time.

A bird strike - he mentions this in his initial post. Is this something only simulated in FS2Crew? I have never seen this or any other option to kill the wildlife in FS?!Thinking out the box here - perhaps part of the bird is now sitting in the pitot tubes?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

That graphic of the crack is only FS2Crew. I use FSPassengers and they have tons of cool failures, but now that I think of it, not sure I ever seen a bird strike,,, yet, or if it has one. I have FS2Crew also but haven't loaded it up in a long time. I'll have to see how it runs with FSP, shouldn't be a problem.I wish FS was more updated like modern games graphic wise. I would like to see the a bload trail on the windshield have it so if the wipers were turned on dry that you would just smear the blood all over the windshield :( * Don't mind me, I've been playing Assassin's Creed 2 most of the weekend :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Reminds me of a flight a couple of years ago, cruising at 14500 vfr and I hear a bug hit the windshield. It took about three seconds for my to realize that wasn't normal. That bug must have been thrown up by a summer thunderstorm and I'm pretty sure we were both suprised by the encounter.

Dan Downs KCRP

Haha, I was open throttle once on my motorcycle going about 130 mph (old bike) down alligator alley in Florida and a big @$$ bug hit me square in the forehead (no helmet doh). It sounded like someone clocked me with a 2x4 and threw my head back quite a bit. Sad thing was, me and my friends were going to FT.Lauderdale for the weekend and I had a HUGE bump dead center of my mellon the whole time.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest kidaamnesiac

Yes it's an FS2Crew thing. I did the window cracked check list and it was all okay, no other active failures.

Guest averredude101
Thanks. Uploading picture here. Forget the route, this was after making a 180 in the hopes of making a landing.
Can you only get that crack on the windshield if you have fs2crew?

Yes it's an FS2Crew thing. I did the window cracked check list and it was all okay, no other active failures.
..and logically, the check list calls for window heat off as can be seen in your screenshot :( I must investigate these addons - don't know anything about them.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor