Sign in to follow this  
Guest ordmr

Need Good Single-Slot VideoCard Upgrade

Guest ordmr

HeyI own a HP m9340f. Overall, it's a good PC: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @2.66Ghz, 6GB RAM, Vista Home Premium. I'm running FS9.There's a shortcoming on this PC, though: Nvidia Geforce 9500GS.I really need to upgrade this videocard. However, as I've been digging here and there, apparently the mother board only admits single-slot videocards PCIX-16.Could you suggest me the best single slot video card available for FS9? I was thinking of the 8800GTX or ATI 4370 but I better trust the experts.Thank yuo!

I suspect getting a motherboard with a PCI-E slot may be as important an upgrade as the video card if it indeed has a PCI-X slot for video. Surely it has a PCIe-16 slot for that video card. I don't understand what you mean about single-slot video cards. There is only one slot required for one video card. The high-end cards, however, cover up a second slot (usually a PCIe-1 slot) for the cooling fan.

Art

What do you mean by "the motherboard only accepts single slot PCI-e x16 cards"?Unless you have a small case and the PCI-e x16 slot is at the bottom, there's no such limitation. I find it more likely you are misinterpreting the specs which state there is a single PCI-e x16 slot. This does not mean you need a single slot card. You will find your PSU is a limiting factor, though. Likely it is not spec'd to output more than ~25A maximum on the +12V rail, which severely limits your graphics card choices. You could fit an "Eco edition" 9800 GT or a GT 240, but anything higher than that is likely to be too much for your PSU to handle, also possibly too big for your case.

Guest ordmr

Oh, ok, guys. Yes, you were right and I was wrong, thanks for clearing it up for me. The specs mean they occupy the other PCI space with the fan! :)Thanks y'all