Sign in to follow this  
jimimac

what resolution is best for fsx

hi, just connected my pc up to a 50ins plasma to see how fsx would run i set the resolution to 1900x1080 usually 1440x900 on my monitor. i get 21fps and feel fsx could run a little bit smoother on both monitors but i think this maybe down to my graphics card gt8600, hope to replace this with a gtx260 when the price drops. overall fsx looks and runs the same on the 50ins with the res set at 1900x1080 as the monitor at 1440x900. im using 4g ram, phenom 2 965 3.4 cpu.so what do resolution do you recommend to run fsx at. thanks, jim mcpherson

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

hi, just connected my pc up to a 50ins plasma to see how fsx would run i set the resolution to 1900x1080 usually 1440x900 on my monitor. i get 21fps and feel fsx could run a little bit smoother on both monitors but i think this maybe down to my graphics card gt8600, hope to replace this with a gtx260 when the price drops. overall fsx looks and runs the same on the 50ins with the res set at 1900x1080 as the monitor at 1440x900. im using 4g ram, phenom 2 965 3.4 cpu.so what do resolution do you recommend to run fsx at. thanks, jim mcpherson
Jim- How close can you be to this 50" screen before it becomes "grainy"? ( The closer the better to increase visual perspective!)A couple of years ago I did some experimenting to see how much could be packed onto a single VERY large screen as a substitute for my 3 small (17/19")monitors. I was a bit surprised with what could be done along these lines! I didn't pursue the idea - lack of money & space, but have always hoped someone might try this out.Also to my surprise, the double (Capt/FO) panel config actually flew not badly on my ancient AMD 1.8 system- sadly everything was too small to be readable on a 19" monitor!Are you an experimenter by any chance? I would be keen to hear of other experiences along these lines.Alex ReidPMDG 747- Triple Views LF,F,RF - CDU/ Lower EICAS & SW panel added with wide screen format (Black areas are unused monitor space for this expm't.)PMDG 747- Triple Views w both Capt & FO inst panels + Dual CDUs, lower EICAS & Throttle popups. Aloft over CYVR.

hi, i was about 4ft from the screen, i used the pmdg 737 and from that distance everything was really clear i could read the displays ok, obviously i was using fs9 but was just as good in fsx. i have connected my 19ins monitor to my pc, i will try the large screen again and view it a bit closer and let you know. jim mcpherson

thank you,Jim

I personally see almost no change in framerate when switching resolution - that's pretty standard for a CPU limited engine.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I personally see almost no change in framerate when switching resolution - that's pretty standard for a CPU limited engine.
do you think with the graphics card i have i should run fsx at a lower resolution, would that help fsx to run smoother. jim mcpherson

thank you,Jim

Hey Jim, With your current card, it may, but then again it is easy to test, just give it a shot and see if it does.Like Ryan said, FSX is a CPU limited engine, meaning the video card isn't doing things we would expect it to be doing, some things I was surprised to learn was actually being done by the cpu, like casting shadows. Do a 5 minute test. Load a flight with a set weather theme at a busy airport at your res, then check your fps and try various views noting each fps once it settles down. Then just change the res (restart FSX after) then do the same and compare, but make sure everything is set the same. You may see a little improvement but that depends on what problem you are having. People with faster GPU's though won't notice any difference or improved fps like Ryan said. I have tested tons of resolutions with 0 fps change for my setup.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hey Jim, With your current card, it may, but then again it is easy to test, just give it a shot and see if it does.Like Ryan said, FSX is a CPU limited engine, meaning the video card isn't doing things we would expect it to be doing, some things I was surprised to learn was actually being done by the cpu, like casting shadows. Do a 5 minute test. Load a flight with a set weather theme at a busy airport at your res, then check your fps and try various views noting each fps once it settles down. Then just change the res (restart FSX after) then do the same and compare, but make sure everything is set the same. You may see a little improvement but that depends on what problem you are having. People with faster GPU's though won't notice any difference or improved fps like Ryan said. I have tested tons of resolutions with 0 fps change for my setup.
hi dan i tested as you instructed and there was not much of a noticable difference,i will update my graphic card to a 260gtx and also add another 2g of ram will hopefully help fsx to run a little bit smoother, also in fs9 and fsx should the target framrate be set to a value or to unlimited. thank you, jim mcpherson

thank you,Jim

1920x1080 is the native resolution for a 1080p TV and will give you the best image. Of course, the penalty is performance, but a decent video card will solve any frame rate issues (even something like an HD4850 will beat out that 8600 and won't break the bank). I run FS9/FSX on a 42" tv set on a stand just in front of my desk (about 3' from my face) and I love it. Almost real sized gauges, and looks absolutely fantastic w/ a TrackIR setup :).

... also in fs9 and fsx should the target framrate be set to a value or to unlimited. thank you, jim mcpherson
Hi Jim, That one seems to be different for different people and systems. I always have had better luck with leaving it at unlimited personally, but it's one of those things you'll have to test for your own rig.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier