Sign in to follow this  
PeterR

FS2k4 Water Color

I don't own CoF yet, but I've been looking at all the great screenshots people have posted.Not trying to complain, but I think the color of the water in FS2k4 is way off.I live in Seattle, anf MS makes Puget Sound look like the Caribbean! :-lolThe water is very dark blue here, and in the game, it is very light blue, like you would expect around the Bahamas.Has anyone else noticed this?

You can use Ed Truthan's water textures instead:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...atID=fs2002scenPeter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Kevin,You'll notice this specific subject was mentioned in our just posted AVSIM review of FS2004. My own comments concerning this has been that unlike the prior versions of FS, where the water was basically generic of the whole world, now it is either very right or very wrong and there doesn't seem to be any middle ground. The weird thing is that the water color will change quite dramatically depending on atmosphere conditions and time of year.Bear!

Peter,I tried Ed's textures, but unfortunately MS has renamed all the water texture files and so Ed's water texture sets do not work in FS2004.Bear!

Guest Milamber

No they didn't. I replaced them just fine. The default textures are named 001b2wa1-060b2wa1, just like the replacement textures. Also the replace animation package will work but you just have to double the files in each set, starting the numbering from 17 to 32. I got this info from a previous poster and I tried it myself and it works. Of course if you use the bumpmap effects you don't need to replace the effects but the water textures are a VAST improvement.

Hi, Actually the water in fs2004 remain the same amount of texture of fs2002 files and they are improved over default fs2002 and they use higher resolution than previous fs2002 and addons, 60 texture in total, 172 kb in fs2004 vs 43kb in fs2002 , so this is NOT a real problem, BUT there is only *SOME* 4 texture to change that`s are repeated on many area which make some lighter blue.Another things:When there is some weather, cirrus at 6/8 and above, it use the water reflection, the water color will change and use the water reflection.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest jase439

I'm using Ed's texture w/o the detail textures (the fx package) and it's a noticeable improvement over the 'hot neon' blue.That said, what people are complaining about in the water color has nothing to do with the texture at all. It's the reflective surface mapping on the water which is capturing both the color and luminosity of the sky. Unfortunately, the luminousity effect is way too strong and bleaches out the underlying color of the water.If you turn off the reflective water effects entirely and rely solely on the animated detail textures, the water looks just as it did in FS2002.

""If you turn off the reflective water effects entirely and relysolely on the animated detail textures, the water looks justas it did in FS2002.""THANK YOU!! I came here looking just for that answer as I couldn't get the animation working, no matter what I did. I have several boats that are awesome, including the Garwood by Bill Lyons, with full VC and it was a shame to not have realistic looking water.Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Kurt

ChrisThe water textures (001b2wa1-060b2wa1, 59 total/no #012) are the same resolution, 256 x 256. The FS2K2 textures are dxt1 and the FS2004 are 16 bit (565).Kurt M

Chris,I have to admit - normally my interpretation skills are satisfactory; but your last post has left me clueless.... However, I feel confident you know what you're talking about (I'm sure things are much more clear in French :-)). I know your specialty is clouds; but you might want to consider improving the water textures first. Aside from hardware issues, Flight Simulator's "weird" water has been the number one complaint.Regards,Marc

Guest Bambi

I noticed last night when flying out of Meigs that the lake colors looked very tropical as did the river colors around Northern Illinois. However, after flying about 15 minutes, the texture color of the water changed to what it should look like and looked pretty good from 9,000 feet.Now bear in mind that I have an ATI 9800 Pro video card, so no doubt it may be a driver type of thing happening, but this is the second time that the water texture/color has changed from the beginning of the flight (neon green) to what it should look like.Just an observation while tooling around Northern Illinois and adjusting the graphic options. I did find that on my machine if I run at 1600x1200 resolution, the FPS is better than at a lower setting.

I would like to point out that a FS2004 compatible version of OceanFX is in the making, and that I hopefully have it finished by the end of next week. Fingers crossed though, as I have yet to recieve my copy of FS2004 (the pain of living in Europe). I will need to get that first, in order to make some final adjustments.Johan de Vries

Hi, "are the same resolution, 256 x 256. The FS2K2 textures are dxt1 and the FS2004 are 16 bit (565)."I am not talking with the size, but the resolution, which 565 have better resolution than dtx1.-16 565 bits, have 8 mipmap which reduce some blur at distance, do not have grain on texture, and more clear.-Dtx1 have 6 mipmap, add alot of grain, and get more blurrier on far with 6 mip maps. ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis