Sign in to follow this  
Guest abers

Need help running FSX

Guest abers

HiI am having alot of trouble getting Flight Simulator X to work well on my computer. The sound is very poor, stuttering and not of great quality. On the graphics when you change between views of the aeroplane, the plane will appear in grey before the actual plane colours are painted on. This also happens when you view the cockpit controls. It doesn't happen all the time but often enough to make it annoying to play!The spec of the PC is:Acer Veriton M670G2Gb RAM Core 2 Duo E8400Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 (512Mb)Windows XP ProI just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what I could do to getthis working properly?Many thanksRupert

I'd suggest you spend some time to read this:http://simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041Follow Nick's instructions and your performance should improve quite a bit.I'd also suggest you get another 2 GB ram for your computer. I've almost hit 2 GB with only FSX, let alone the other 60-70 processes running on your computer.After the ram increase, getting windows 7 64 bit would also be a good idea...

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I'd suggest you spend some time to read this:http://simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041Follow Nick's instructions and your performance should improve quite a bit.I'd also suggest you get another 2 GB ram for your computer. I've almost hit 2 GB with only FSX, let alone the other 60-70 processes running on your computer.After the ram increase, getting windows 7 64 bit would also be a good idea...
Before investing money in more RAM, I'd look at the processor and video card.. If you are not hitting the 2 GB ceiling, more RAM will not buy you anything.FSX without memory hungry add-ons runs just fine on a 2 GB system.I don't know if you can overclock your CPU and get some more horsepower that way, but texture loadingis a normal part of FSX, and yes, if you switch views you may see the textures being loaded, especially onsome airplanes with high texture complexity.The short answer is: lower your FSX settings a bit, if performance is a problem and if you have the funds,start looking for a high end system if you want top performance.. :(

Bert

R.Our 8400's are adequate as is the 512M video.A few thoughts:Other processes? I have a total of 32 at this moment (includes FSX, Firefox, System monitor, Excel, Explorer, Zone Alarm, antivirus, CatalystControlCenter, and a screenshot utility.)When was the last time you defragged your system?Is your memory running at its rated specs? 2G is a little light perhaps, but should be adequate. ( I have 3 at the moment; one got "sick")Do you have adequate Pagefile size?Sound card or onboard audio? (onboard audio used to load down a previous system)You may need system housekeeping more than FSX "fixing", but lots of add-on aircraft (user and AI) will definitely slow things down.Loyd

2G is a little light perhaps, but should be adequate. ( I have 3 at the moment; one got "sick")Do you have adequate Pagefile size?
What? lol. That's kind of contradicting.If he had more ram he wouldn't need much of a pagefile. Supposedly some programs use only a small amount. If he had 4 GB ram and a 64 bit OS, memory wouldn't be an issue at all.I would never recommend FSX to anyone with only 2 GB ram.The OP needs to go through Nick's guide and think about making a ram and OS upgrade. As said before, the E8400 is plenty for FSX, as is the GTS 250.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Do you have a lot of unnecessary stuff running in the background using up your limited memory? Check your taskbar and turn off what you can, including antivirus (when running FSX). There is a great little free program called "Gamebooster" that can do all of this for you.You should have tools for configuring your sound, either in "All Programs" or accessible by right clicking the speaker icon on your taskbar. Select "Properties" and configure sound to 16 bit if it is currently 24 bit.

Art

Guest hmstiger
Do you have a lot of unnecessary stuff running in the background using up your limited memory? Check your taskbar and turn off what you can, including antivirus (when running FSX). There is a great little free program called "Gamebooster" that can do all of this for you.You should have tools for configuring your sound, either in "All Programs" or accessible by right clicking the speaker icon on your taskbar. Select "Properties" and configure sound to 16 bit if it is currently 24 bit.
Do you the service packs -SP1 and SP2? These make a big difference in performance. SP2 comes with Acceleration, so if you have that, you have SP2.