Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

Stutter problems? Reminder about AGP Settings

I've been suffering from some really bad stutters in FS2004. I was looking through archived posts, and I ran across some recommendations to reduce the AGP Aperature settings in bios and to disable AGP Texture acceleration in the dxconfig utility.For some insane reason, my AGP Aperature in bios was set to 256MB. I reduced it to 32MB, and disabled texture acceleration.FS2004 is now virtually stutter free for me. This was driving me INSANE, and it's a great relief to have found a solution.There are several posts in the archives that describe the specifics.A caveat, however. Depending on your system, these changes may have no efect or may even worsen the situation. For me, they eliminated the stutters, but did not improve general fps.

Guest jabberthecat

Thank you - I think this has greatly improved FS2004 stuttering problem for me. I changed from 64 to 16 on the AGP setting. I haven't disabled the DX AGP. However I did change my Virtual Mem setting from 200 MB to 100 MB. That is the problem with tweaking - if you change 2 things at once you don't know how/which made a difference.Anyway I need to fly more than 5 or 10 minutes to see if the stuttes develop over an extended time, but so far much improved.Thanks,MylesAnthlon 2000 ( 1.67 gz ), GF4-ti4600, 512MB PC2100.

Myles,As a rule of thumb, provided that your hard drive is properly defragmented and error-free, your virtual memory (or swap file) should be at least equal to 1/2 if not the same as your physical RAM for optimal performance. You will run into situations where 512MB RAM is not enough, and 100MB virtual will not make any difference. Just an FYI - if you change it to 512 and see no performance hit, I'd leave it there. If you see a performance hit, I'd run some disk diagnostics...sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)