Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

FS COF Splash screen, then zilch!

Guest Toni Rauch

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I've read the posts on this and tried every suggestion mentioned so far, but the sim hangs at the splash screen every time. The installation went fine with no errors and all the files seem to be in all the right places, but the program still hangs.Any solutions will REALLY be appreciated....My system is a Dell Dimension Intel P4 2.8, GForce 4 128 meg video card, SB Audigy, 512 meg RAM, and LOADS of HD space.ThanksToni.

If you moved My Documents folder put it back in the right place. If it is solved try to move it using drag and drop or tweakui.Jos

Guest Stephan

I had the same. Run dxdiag and make sure AGP is activated.GreetingsStephan

Guest Toni Rauch

Thanks GuysNo help I'm afraid.'My Documents' folder has never been moved and altering the AGP setting in DXDIAG makes no difference.Still 'hangs' on the splash screen and 'Control/Alt/Delete' reports 'Programme not responding'. This is a really poor show from Microsoft.....Toni.

Guest jmarcure

This happen to me this morning. Last night I just switched off my computer without doing a shutdown. This morning when I tried FS2004 it just hung at the splash screen. I had to delete the FS9.cfg file in order to get it to work. After doing this I also had to reset all of my settings in the sim but otherwise it worked fine.Hope this helps you.Jon

Guest Toni Rauch

Thanks JonNo help unfortunately.Deleting the fs9.cfg and re-loading simply causes the .cfg to rebuild. The sim still freezes at the splash screen and Control/Alt/Delete simply reports that the program is 'not responding'.This is the ONLY program causing such frustration.....Toni.

A wild guess, but I've had crashes (maybe not hangs) using Anti-Aliasing and 4x.xx nvidia display drivers. As a test, turn off anti-aliasing in the driver applet before starting. As another test, download the nocd (unauthorised) version of fs9.exe and see if it starts up any better..

Bert

Guest JonP01

I have the same problem. The splash screen then nothing. Tried all the suggestions so far. I'm not very impressed. If one person has a problem, it could be put down to a problem with that persons system, but there have been posts all over the place about this. I guess I have 6 days to sort it out before I ask for my money back.

Double check that you have a "Flight Simulator Files" directory in your My Documents folder.If it's not there, create it.

You've tried a reinstall, Toni? And just to state the obvious, you are starting up with CD#4 in the drive, unless you're running the crack file? I've heard of some systems freezing rather than giving the "Install Disk#4" message.Otherwise it could be a DirectX problem, judging by some peoples' card/version combinations and the probs they've had. I don't have your card though (wish I did!) so can't judge that.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Toni Rauch

Hi MarkThanks for the help but I solved my problem with FS2004 a few days ago by reinstalling the latest DirectX files. (Must have had a corrupt file or something like that, albeit that I got no 'error' messages.)However, it seems that others are having the same problem and the solutions posted so far don't seem to be helping....As this seems to have become quite a common issue with so many end-users, it makes you wonder about Microsoft's testing policies.Toni.

I think you answered your own question Toni regarding Microsoft's testing policies (and testers). Before that, I should also say welcome back! Did my suggestion help w/your getting back online?Back to what you said--in your case, the issue turned out to be system related--something gone south in the DirectX install. Other freezes are almost certainly related to some odd system setting. For the users who have had issues getting COF to start, I'd say there are ten for every one that haven't had issues, other than what's been reported about sim performance or functionality. Some of those are pretty legit.But some of these problems can't be labbed in a test environment. There's millions of possible dll combinations, applets, spyware or virus infections that can come into play. I recommended in another thread that a user reinstall DirectX. I'm glad that solution worked for you, but you may have users with mismatched drivers, defective video cards, faulty ram, etc.... Microsoft can't test against those situations, else they'd fill up their website with a COF answer book alone.As for the problem only manifesting itself in COF--I know in my case it's the only application that requires DirectX 9. But I've scanned the usenet countless time, and the phrase "I've only had a problem with......." can have the ending blank filled in by umpteen different applications. I've heard "I'm only having a problem with Quake", "I'm only having a problem with Quicken", etc..... I'm glad you reported back the fix.... At least you didn't have that dang MSBlast thingie.... :)-John

Toni, I have the same, exact problem although I did have the worm. I am re-installing DX now and will get back to you. I reinstalled it once from the COF CD but that didn't help. Hopefully this one will do the trick. I'll post back my results in a few minutes.Turnip

It worked. Reinstall DX from the Microsoft web site ( The latest version ) DO NOT reinstall DX from the COF CD.Thx all for the help.Turnip