Sign in to follow this  
Guest Speedbird1

Stay away from the FX5900 cards

Guest gasebah

Hi guys,I have an ATI 9700 Pro and have yet been unable to undock windows and make it stay on my 3rd monitor which is rotated 270 degrees.As I was hoping this can be done with a Nvidia card (Nvidia has excellent multi mobitor support while ATI seems to find this feature less important, e.g. rotation in the CP is on and off) I bought a FX 5900 Ultra. After having played around with it I will return it and change it for a 9800 Pro.The card is a yoke IMHO. It does not outperform the Radeon 9700 Pro except in 3DMark 2K3. I have the same score in 3DMark 2K2 with the 9700p. But then again I did not really expect it to and had not cared about performance gains as I only wanted to solve my undocking problem. But here comes the big show stopper: the image quality. The Nvidia sucks big time. AA is totally crappy even at 4xS and I can see no difference in AF however close I look. Performance is the same between both cards. In FS2K2 not in benchmarks that is. I crancked the the card up to my default settings 1600x1200x32, 4xAA and 8xAF. The picture was unstable, swimming and you could clearly see the yaggies that were unstable in movements. 4xS did not cure anything except hitting the frame rates. I really ask myself how someone in their right mind can score that card over a Radeon 9800 Pro.Needles to say that I was not able to make undocked windows stay on my rotated monitor. It works if I leave it at 1024x768 but as soon as I turn the res to 768x1024 the screen flickers and bad things happen. MS has messed up the multimonitor support big time. I really ask myself what they meant with improved multi monitor support.Alex

What is your system specs and has anyone else with the 5900 ultra had simular results?Kil~I'm thinking of buying the 5900 ultra and am interested in knowing if its worth it.I have a P 2.0512 ramGeforce 3 64mb

Guest Speedbird1

Well I do not have the Ultra but I have a Leadtek FX5900.Pretty happy with the results.The only problems I have been having is the menus and some flickering.If I set the display settings to 4x AA, in full screen mode the menus are patchy until you move your cursor over them and if you go to select another aircraft the GUI is pretty messed up, but If I change it to 4x-9tap in Riva Tuner everything is fine.Also 6x AA within the normal display settings screen solves the problem as well.Have tried Drivers 44.03, 44.67, 44.70, 44.90 & 45.20, although I am still waiting for these WHQL 44.67 that were supposed to be released by NVIDIA yesterday that MS were harping on about on their website.Can live with it but something is not quite right.