Sign in to follow this  
Guest Air1

FS2004 - Wait before you buy...LOTS of problems!

I eagerly ran out and bought my copy of FS 2004 yesterday and within the last 24 hours I've run into a BUNCH of problems.I have YET to be able to sucessfully complete an IFR flight. I attempted to fly IFR from Seattle WA to San Francisco CA and after setting up the flight and getting IFR clearance, FS2004 never listed the command to request takeoff, essentially voiding the flight.On another IFR flight from LAX (Los Angeles) to Las Vegas, McCarrin International, FS2004 directed me to turn WEST (over the ocean) and never gave me any other vectors!!!!!!!!I've also had freezes and crashes.My advice... WAIT until these issues are addressed.

I agree with Aviator. I had my copy last Friday from Provantage. The sim runs terrible on my system. I will not debat the pros and cons of FS2004 because that really helps nobody. I have had graphics issues, CH control issues. I am not going to rip it off my computer but I am glad I still have FS2002 running. This is jsut my opinion. No flames please.Pat Callaghan

Pat Callaghan
AMD FX-8350 4.0ghz. Asus M5A97 MB
16gig Crucial DDR3 ram, Radeon HD-7970 Video
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

I can say probably for the first time ever, that this version of Flight Simulator runs perfectly on my system.I've had nothing but smooth skies (aka no crashes whatsoever).Sure the 3d clouds take their toll, but then again I don't have the top of the line computer either.And perhaps you just needed to wait a bit on the vectors. The ATC proceedures are much different than FS2002. That apparent from the begining of the flight where you get clearance to an initial climb altitude, not the cruise altitude. If it says 'resume own navigation' it pretty much leaves you alone to vector yourself. The FS2004 ATC is not as much of a tyrant in 2004 as it is in 2002.Oh, one thing does remain constant between 2002 and 2004. You have to be close enough to the departure end of the assigned runway in order to have the option to request departure.Also... if you are VFR and the airport is IFR conditions, you won't get an option to request departure. The ATC won't let you take off. Just like in real life :)

Howard H.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"

-Mahatma Gandhi

>I agree with Aviator. I had my copy last Friday from>Provantage. The sim runs terrible on my system. I will not>debat the pros and cons of FS2004 because that really helps>nobody. I have had graphics issues, CH control issues. I am>not going to rip it off my computer but I am glad I still have>FS2002 running. This is jsut my opinion. No flames please.>>Pat CallaghanI had CH problems which were easily fixed by going to their website and obtaining the newest version of the control manager. All you have to do then is recalibrate your controllers with the new version of the manager and it should work fine.KP

Guest RonB49

My copy arrived yesterday from The Avsim Store and I was worried because of all the negative threads (like this one) that I had read. I installed it, I read the readme file, I set my preferences, and then I flew.Are there some problems? Sure. Are they any worse that the problems that I encountered when I installed FS2002, FS2000, FS98, FSW95, FS5.1, FS5.0a, FS5, FSII (for Amiga), or FSII (for C-64)? I doubt it. The problems are more complex because the software and the hardware is more complex, but no worse than before.Just work through each problem. In your case, here's what I think happened.1. KSEA Ground Control directed you to one runway (16R, for example) and you stopped at 16L. In that instance, you are not offered a takeoff option.2. The first waypoint in your flightplan was very near to the airport (it was probably LAX VOR). ATC directed you to turn to a heading that they calculated would put you over that waypoint -- it did not. From that point on, ATC constantly repeats the heading from the airport to the first waypoint (LAX VOR is west of KLAX). The solution is to delete the first waypoint from your flightplan if it is very near the airport or insure that you fly over the first waypoint (regardless of what heading ATC is demanding).3. Update your drivers, update Windows, defrag your drive, etc, etc, etc.Try it again today and it will be better. Try it tomorrow and it will be better still. R-

Guest Toni Rauch

I really envy you guys - pro's and con's set aside, at least you've had the chance to try the sim.I can't even get the damn program to load passed the splash screen...!Toni.

Guest Joshieca

The biggest thing anyone can do to making the new simulator run better is to 1) get a video card with at least 128MB of ram, 2) get a CPU which is at least 2 ghz or better. The new simulator seems to run best with faster CPU's, not so much with faster or better video cards. Also, make sure your drivers are up to date....get the most current video card drivers, update your direct x, turn off anything you have running in the backgroud before you use the simulator, even start the simulator up from fresh reboot helps.I can remember that when FS2002 came out, a lot of people were really exciting about it, but then they quickly turned against the program, sighting its faults. People were complaining about the ATC using only one runway, about the ATC not having all of the airlines names, about the weather, about having only a limited number of gates and parking spaces, about not having enough AI flights, about joysticks not working right.....now look at what the developers have done to FS2002....everyone of those complaints were answered, and improved upon. FS2002 has had close to two years to age properly, FS2004 has only been out for five days, so we need give it some time and enjoy what the developers have in store for us. - Josh[div align=center][link:www.jetdoc.com/ABT/unicom.html]Listen Live - Win Prizes - UNICOM Info Click Here][/b

Guest otter55

30+ hrszero issues / zero glitches /nothing but perfect functionality thus fardonp4 3.061 gig ramti 4600

Guest CargoMun

I've had those vector problems as well Aviator mentions - doing an IFR it puts me in total different direction and then never responds - well it might but I ran out of patience after 40 miles detour (wich is a long time in a C172). This was midway not even close to airport :-roll

I've been one of the "lucky" ones with an older, slower system and have had ZERO probs with ATC, lockups, or anything else for that matter! I've had to turn down some sliders here and there, but it still looks better than 2002 with the sliders around 75 percent. I agree with those who've mentioned drivers, just make sure you've got the latest, and a clean hard drive helps too!AMD 1.2 Ghz512 DDRAM64 Meg GeForce 2 400MX with 44.03 Drivers60 Gig WD 7200RMPKen

"Wait till the issues are addressed?"LOL ;-)You're going to be waiting for a while i'm affraid ;-) I'd say keep reading up on how to actually fly the sim first. You might surprise yourself ;-)Works great for me. Heck, I flew on VATSIM all night last night with it, no problems at all and YES, I saw others and they saw me ;-)

Guest Air1

Mine is running fine with PIII 1 Gig, gf3 ti200 and only 384 megs of ram. I see no point in waiting. I will update my sys one of these days.Steve

"I really envy you guys - pro's and con's set aside, at least you've had the chance to try the sim.I can't even get the damn program to load passed the splash screen...!"***************************]]Make sure you didn't change your default flight to an addon plane, esp. an addon specifically made for 2002. This will cause what you are describing.If you did this, just click "START/Programs/Microsoft Games/FS9/Reset Defaults.