Sign in to follow this  
Guest Air1

FS2004 - Wait before you buy...LOTS of problems!

L.Adamson anytime someone has something objective to say about anything on this forum, people cut them up and call them Trolls. I gave my observations last weekend seeing I was one of the few who had the sim first. Everyone came down on me with fire and brimstone. Now low and behold people are finding the same faults that I found. Many upgraded there machines for this new sim with the latest video cards. I have a brand new Dell 8300 with an ATI 9700pro card, another guy reported problems and he has a Dell XPS system. That dumb remark that some make claiming people are only complaining because they have "crappy computers" is hogwash... For you users that don't have problems, that's great but don't put the rest of us down because you don't have to deal with the issues we're finding. That's selfish and cruel to do to your fellow simmers, and then turn around and talk about them if they say something. Are you trying to do Microsoft a favor???The term TROLL has been so loosely used that it's true meaning is now somewhat cloudy for most. Let me spell it out, OBJECTIVE comments is not TROLLING but putting down someone's hard earned effort (or the person in general) is wrong. Speaking out about a multi-million dollar company that's releasing crap that won't work on existing hardware correctly is not TROLLING. You guys that are calling us TROLLS are the real TROLLs because you would rather take sides with a company that can afford to get it right out the gate but doesn't, you would rather hassle the man that's spent his hard earned money and finds himself coming out on the losing end. And that's after he's spent a fortune on hardware.FS2k4 should outshine FS2k2 in every since of the word. We should not have to sit here and still say there were things that were better in FS2k2 that aren't present in FS2k4... The poster is right people should wait and see if Microsoft fixes this sim (not ATI and not Nividia)...Another case of a bigger company bullying smaller companies as well as customers by making them comply to their standards (even though those standards are flawed), WAKE UP PEOPLE....

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest ssurjap

One note:Some people can't afford to UPGRADE.I have a P4 1.6GHz (512MB RAM) and the sim works fine for my flights. I don't have the sliders all the way up (one or two notches above midway) and I only have 20% 3D clouds because I want decent FPS.The only thing that I find wrong with the sim (temporarily, I hope) is (from reading other posts) that the weather is about an hour or two old. I don't mind the taxiway lines going into the grass or other minor stuff.

If you wait like the FS2002 patch ! you can wait for FS2032 mate !No products is perfect! just need a patch or 2 when it's made by Big Microsoft brother !cheers

Let's see..............A few days ago, you hated itThen you loved it.........I guess it's back to "hate" again, or I'm totally confused..L.Adamson

Guest PaulL01

>>All that was>>posted here was one person's observations, what's wrong with>>that??? >>Because I would think that.... that "one person" would have>read many other "favorable" postings around here...........>before coming to a conclusion that we should wait on>purchasing the sim, until problems are addressed.>>I get very aggrevated with postings such as these! It's as>though the writer has "blinders", and disregards any other>positive posting, in order to make their personal point. They>don't seem to go to the trouble of spelling out "why", their>results should effect everybody..>>L.Adamson>With all due respect Larry,Open yer eyeballs!This has to be the most buggy FS version ever! Some folks can't get past encryption of disc 4 and this on good hardware less than a year old as well as >many< other install issues.This on systems running FS2k2 just fine...??? The "far/imposter" clouds do not display properly (they get clipped as you rotate in view or while in flight, Smoke rising from stacks in default scenery gets blocked from view from distant clouds.Wasn't the sky the focus of this much-anticipated version? ATI and NV display the problem the same! Did/do you think that is acceptable? UhhhGG!!!The "new" FS2k2 transparent windows... many that were done with a very pleasing slight reflection of the cockpit are not supported!?!?!Weird random autogen scenery placed here and there (KROC has about 20 cell? towers placed in a repeating line running along side the airport where there should be just one.(Broken) Railroad bridges where there are none. No Bridges where there should be Bridges.Missing coastline/Landclass (see long island). The mipslider only controls mipmaping of objects not terrain?????!!! (Exactly the opposite of what we needed!No scenery refresh from within the game!Besides the ton of 3rd-party stuff that wont work. Well we new that time would have to come but it just adds to the bad vibe. On second thought, that really isn't fair of me is it? Ok. Skip that one. Don't touch it.Well, on third thought...we lost much of the over used scenery code of the past in scenery design without (it would appear) any replacement...Highres terrain? A thing of the past! We have P3-4Ghz systems or the like with very fast VPUs and we are stuck at 4+ meter res? Poohy!!!I have got $30K of high res data sitting here and well...what a waist to be stuck at 4.8+/_ meters. Sad.When these issues are cleared up no doubt this version is another great leap forward, but frankly with all the beta testing that was done this is a very incredibly bad start.I personally am being sent a whole new set of CD's because of install issues with the first build of the program to try out...:-rollThe display issues really have to be placed on MS, they make and defined the D3D commands in DX8 that are used in FS2k4, that

>I eagerly ran out and bought my copy of FS 2004 yesterday and>within the last 24 hours I've run into a BUNCH of problems.>>I have YET to be able to sucessfully complete an IFR flight. >I attempted to fly IFR from Seattle WA to San Francisco CA and>after setting up the flight and getting IFR clearance, FS2004>never listed the command to request takeoff, essentially>voiding the flight.>>On another IFR flight from LAX (Los Angeles) to Las Vegas,>McCarrin International, FS2004 directed me to turn WEST (over>the ocean) and never gave me any other vectors!!!!!!!!>>I've also had freezes and crashes.>>My advice... WAIT until these issues are addressed.I've been using FS2004 for about 5 or 6 weeks now and though I have no doubt that you've had the problems you stated, I may have a couple of answers for you. About a month ago I too tried a IFR flight from Seattle to SFO and as you, at first, I did not get the command list for requesting take-off clearance, until I noticed I had taxied to 34R when I should have taxied to 34L as I was cleared for. So, in the end it was my fault not FS2004's.I've only flown a half dozen IFR flights in FS2004 so far and haven't run into that problem of being vectored out into never-never land, but it occurred many times for me with FS2002.Haven't had any freezes or crashes related to FS2004, though I was having a lockup problem after I installed my new video card (ATI 9700 Pro 128MB), but the lockups were occurring even before I installed FS2004.Despite my having a fairly weak, old, and frail system (custom built: AMD 1.2Ghz, 512MB SDRAM, 128MB ATI 9700 Pro video card, running on Win98SE), FS2004 runs very well for me, so far, and whatever issues I've found are quite minor and don't involve anything that I would consider requires a patch.Just because I haven't had any problems, doesn't mean that others won't, as there's just too many variables with all the mix and matched systems being used, so FS2004 is bound to not work on some of them.I would suggest that anyone having problems try to remain calm and rather than point fingers at the top of one's voice (as I would like to do sometimes, :-lol), just post a list of your problems or difficulties here in the forums and hopefully someone can help you through them.I don't think any one person has all the answers (I certainly don't), but there's a lot of smart people wandering about these forums, and surely one of them can offer you or anyone needing it some assistance.Bear!

Guest PaulL01

>I have to weigh in here....>>My guess is that 9 times out of 10 computer games do not run>properly because of the system. It is not Microsofts fault>that people have crappy machines, or not enough equipment to>make their games work. Anyone should know this. You are only>able to do what your computer will allow you to do. Words of>advice,"UPGRADE!" >>You read more posts about how crappy FS9 is because there are>millions of people who are too busy playing the darn thing>because it works. If you want to try the game go for it. >Just remember those specs on the side of the box are for>minimum requirements and you may not be able to run with the>sliders on full.>>There, the soap box is now available for the next ranter....That is moronic! These problems are on sytems that use the most popular as well as up to date hardware! Many or most these are not problems of performance but incompatability, you would call P4-3.0 4600TI/9700P/FX5600 systems in need of an upgrade? :-lolPlease!

Guest PaulL01

Well put Bear!Still the weird disply issues like the odd layering/mis-displying of cloud and smoke layers, the clipping of the far/imposter clouds as well as other disply issues...I have seen on this on Every PC I have seen with FS2k24 installed 9thats two at the shop, one at work and mine here at home. one using a ATI 9800Pro, one with a 5900-non ultra and the other two w/TI4600s, all on XP systems 3-P4's and one AMD XP system...You know, one would think with the DX team just down the hall...:-roll ...And since MSFS were focusing on the clouds and sky.......When I read the many "FS2k4 runs great on my system, no problems here" post it really makes me wonder how crapy I could write software and getaway with charging good money for it. :-lol

>>With all due respect Larry,>>Open yer eyeballs!>>This has to be the most buggy FS version ever! >>Some folks can't get past encryption of disc 4 and this on>good hardware less than a year old as well as >many< other>install issues.>>This on systems running FS2k2 just fine...???>Come on Paul................ my eyes are wide open. I'm also a very fast reader! And from what I've read, the impressions of this sim are far more favorable, than not. Some people will have problems, and they always will. But to term this sim as the most buggy FS version ever............ will only apply to a minority. If you don't believe me............ then get some more reading done..L.Adamson

Guest SlimDady

No problems for me other then a little compatabliaty issues with the older fs2002 things.. I got into the game right away withought any problems even on my older system1.33ghz t-bird512mb ramgeforce 3also if ur running with anything under 1ghz or geforce 2 you dont really have a rigt to complain about it running bad.. U cant expect new games to run on ancient hardware.Just look you had 2 years to learn 2002, geting it to perform the way you wanted, getting used to it.. picking all your fav addonsNow somthing new has come along.. Its going to take a little time to get yourself climatized to fs9, but it will happen.. dont shove it aside so fast, or complain, takes time to get yourself used to changes.

Paul, I gotta ask, why so upset? Its so much fun to fly this version, I just don't get why its a good idea to focus on what's wrong with it. Best,Bob Bernstein

Guest PaulL01

And from what I've read, the impressions of>this sim are far more favorable, than not. That makes the bugs OK? what are you smoking?>Some people will have problems, and they always will. Please!, I defy you to give me any combination of hardware or OS/DX/drivers that will display the clouds/smoke in the right order, or even the far clouds without clipping them, and yours doesnt?.The focus of this version was clouds no?! And if this what was focused on, and the result we have is...and you want to talk about other issues of incompatability? or incomplete scenery issues etc.?Checking around, including here at AVSIM I count 1 out of two post with real problems. I wouldn't count that a success, not by a stretch. Take care Larry,Keep the faith! :)

Guest PaulL01

>Paul, I gotta ask, why so upset? There was a recent lightning storm.....lot of negative ..ener ..gy..(bows head)... Its so much fun to fly this>version, I just don't get why its a good idea to focus on>what's wrong with it. It would be a lot funner if it gets fixed too!

Guest Tim13

These "end of flight sim as we know it" threads are like the swallows returning. They show up like clock work with each new release. :-lol Tim13

I agree that the positive posts have far outweighed the negative.Not smoking anything here-never have.The focus on this sim was improvements in all areas and listening to users for improvements(not just clouds-although the improvement here was logrithmic). I think Microsoft did listen to users and improve quite a bit-check the thread on small improvements.If it doesn't meet your expectations or what you wanted I am truly sorry.It sounds like you would be happy if no company made a sim anymore-keep it up and that might be the case...I have had not one crash yet in molto hours of use.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg