Sign in to follow this  
mrdfw

XP Pro 64bit vs Windows Ultimate 64bit

Upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 about 5 weeks, after ongoing issues with BSOD and freeze ups with FSX/Acceleration, Having most problems when flying PMDG payware, which I really like.. I have decided to reformat, install XP Pro 64, seemed to work fine previously, any downside of this, has anyone compared the two O.S. any advice would be appreciated...

Ray Vlasek

HelloI am also back on XP64 , I had a few issues with W7 but have none at all in XP64Does not look and feel as nice as W7 but it is trouble free and supports the sim and all my addons so that is good enough for me.

I have acquired a copy of XP64 and I'm really considering dual booting with windows 7 just so i can use XP for FS. I hear many good things about XP64, mainly little to no FSX crashing or black screen. Just the thought of reformatting is not making me feel good.

Christopher Edwards

I have acquired a copy of XP64 and I'm really considering dual booting with windows 7 just so i can use XP for FS. I hear many good things about XP64, mainly little to no FSX crashing or black screen. Just the thought of reformatting is not making me feel good.
Same here, lot of work, but I'm finding Windows 7 pretty particular, maybe too new...

Ray Vlasek

I've also downgraded to XP 64, bit but now I've problems with AA in windowded mode.When I start FSX in windowed mode for the first time everything is fine, but switching to fullscreen and then back to windowed mode my AA is gone.AA now only works in fullscreen mode after switching one time back and force, can someone confirm this or tell me how to fix this problem?With Win7 I've no problems with AA.Tested with several drivers and nhancer.Regards Mats Weinberger

Guest Shockwave
Upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 about 5 weeks, after ongoing issues with BSOD and freeze ups with FSX/Acceleration, Having most problems when flying PMDG payware, which I really like.. I have decided to reformat, install XP Pro 64, seemed to work fine previously, any downside of this, has anyone compared the two O.S. any advice would be appreciated...
Going back to XP myself on duel boot.Win7-64 cant handle complex add-ons well in comparison to XP, its either rock solid with bad stuttery performance, or rock solid but lowered image quality, or stutter free/high image quality and black screen issues or other graphic artifacts...done with it. >XPI7-920 @ 4.2 12 GB 2000 8-8-8-24 285GTX

That may have been your experience, but that doesn't mean everyone's PC will behave that way.I recently did a comparison between XP and 7 and for me, 7 definitely ran better. Not a huge difference, but it was noticeable.I also have not had a SINGLE FSX crash or issue related to running Windows 7, with FSX itself or any of the addons I have purchased.

Going back to XP myself on duel boot.Win7-64 cant handle complex add-ons well in comparison to XP, its either rock solid with bad stuttery performance, or rock solid but lowered image quality, or stutter free/high image quality and black screen issues or other graphic artifacts...done with it. >XPI7-920 @ 4.2 12 GB 2000 8-8-8-24 285GTX

Guest Shockwave
That may have been your experience, but that doesn't mean everyone's PC will behave that way.I recently did a comparison between XP and 7 and for me, 7 definitely ran better. Not a huge difference, but it was noticeable.I also have not had a SINGLE FSX crash or issue related to running Windows 7, with FSX itself or any of the addons I have purchased.
If I had meant just my experiance I would have said it that way, but for good reason I didn't.Win7 has a new graphic memory manager (WMMD1.1) that makes it impossible to run certain scenarios all at the same time, I only can summerize part of it for you.Try running with something like a PMDG 747 or a CS757/727 flight into FSDT JFK or Kord with high res 4096 textures or even less, add some traffic, some high res clouds, now run that at a decent res of 1920x1200 and add some good 8xsAA to that with 16xAnsio. Try going into the menu while inthat scenario or go for a long flight. Win7 cant handle that combo very well at all, from missing textures to black screens, something always breaks in those types of scenarios in Win7, you can even get custom drivers to try to cope or go with BP=0 or BP=400000000 Stutter stutter stutter, or turn thos sliders down and lower your IQ settings, while in XP we dont have too, not like in Win7.If you use compatability mode, it will run rock solid, but then whole chunks of the 3d objects in thos add-ons fail to show. Its a fact. Not just on my system, All I7 platforms and others under those same conditions on win7. Suggest you do a search about it if you want to save yourself some time.