Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Graphics corruption in FSX - (UPDATE: possible solution found!)

Guest 413X3

If you can narrow the issue down to something with an external sound.dll file I am sure PMDG can fix the bug eventually.I get strange sounds when switching to external views, the APU sound continues until I move the engine throttles up, the roar of the engines stops the looping of the APU sound. Strange.

I'm reading this and thinking, 'shall I install xp onto my system instead of using w7 64bit'. I get the missing textures but only since concorde x and I only had it with the md11 once with dx10 disabled.

Gavin Price

Ryan, thanks for starting this interesting and useful topic, appreciate the time you are putting into researching this. I too experience Issue #4. I have an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 with an i7 920. Currently I'm using the onboard SoundMax audio although I also had this issue with a Creative Labs X-FI in the same system.1. Have you ever seen this issue happen with the PMDG J41?Occasionally I see the flickering textures in the VC of the J41. This usually occurs in complex scenery airports and weather. I can stop the problem occurring by selecting the standard definition mode in the J41 config tool.2. Have you ever seen this happen in Windows XP (32 or 64-bit)?I used to use XP 32 and never saw this problem, only OOM3. Have you ever seen anything like this happen in FS9?No4. Have you ever seen this happen with a default aircraft or other aircraft you know to not be using custom sound?No5. Can you reproduce the issue on a completely clean

I'd just like to add a little update on my findings. I've now disabled the sounds dll file as suggested, and on the most part this seems very successful. On my test flight, which was at dawn in heavy weather conditions at JFK, in Concorde, by view changing alone I was no longer able to replicate the problem. By toggling between full screen and windowed mode (ALT ENTER), I was eventually able to replicate it. However, unlike before, this time I was able to immediately recover all my textures and return to normal, simply by toggling full screen/windowed again. Before, once the textures had started to disappear, that was it - game over.Regards,Tom Wright

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I think I think I found the problem.When I rename the 'sound.cfg' file, which eliminates the external sounds, leaving only the internal sounds, as far as I can tell, I have NO texture issues.Also when using the 'sound.cfg' file and just after loading the aircraft the INS loads and while it loads my screen always flashes serveral times a second, andwhen NOT using the 'sound.cfg' file and while the INS is loading there is NO texture flashing and corruption.Anyone else with texture problem please try this and let us know what happens.

I think I think I found the problem.When I rename the 'sound.cfg' file, which eliminates the external sounds, leaving only the internal sounds, as far as I can tell, I have NO texture issues.Also when using the 'sound.cfg' file and just after loading the aircraft the INS loads and while it loads my screen always flashes serveral times a second, andwhen NOT using the 'sound.cfg' file and while the INS is loading there is NO texture flashing and corruption.Anyone else with texture problem please try this and let us know what happens.
Uh, what is the path to the sound.cfg, this just in the Concorde, or an FSX general config?If it eliminates the need to dink around with the sound dll's thats handy.

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

It's important for me to inform you that this is NOT a PMDG issue. Crackling sound, airplane deformation (flaps sticking out of the cockpit, no gears etc) and things like that can be easily achieved on my system with default planes. Another thing that happens to me is complete loss of autogen and clouds and distance fog.Q9550, oced to 3.24GHZ, GTX285 with 2GB VRAM, Realtek onboard sound, W7 Ultimate, 8GB. I haven't found a bufferpool setting that removes the problems consistantly, 590MB bufferpools seemed to work for some time, sometimes I can run FSX without bufferpool settings and everything is fine.Bernhard Rems

Pinned the thread now by request.Interesting responses already guys, thanks. I'm especially curious on Kyle's report of seeing this with the A2A Cub... that's not exactly a complex aircraft in the same sense of these airliners we've though the problem limited to. I realize it's got a lot going on in terms of flight modelling, animation, textures and sound though. Hmm. Do you see it both with and without the advanced AccuSim version?The early occurrence of ASUS boards is pretty striking to me as well. That P6T series in particular seems like it might be a commonality among a bunch of you guys...
Ryan,I believe you mentioned that your onboard audio chip was a Realtec ALC889 and that you are not seeing the same problems. I just installed a ASUS P6X58D Premium mobo and it is interesting that this board has the Realtek ALC889 audio onboard. I am not flying yet because my system is not finished. I will be available to perform some plain vanilla FSX testing shortly (I would like to help in anyway I can). I plan to very gradually add add-ons one at a time to do sort of a platform "validation". It might be possible to "narrow the brush" a bit by saying "ASUS mobo with axy audio chip" do or do not see these problems. As shown below, the ASUS P6T has a Realtek ALC1200. Is there any one out there with this particular board/audio combination that is seeing these problems? Also, the other flavors shown have ADI chips. Are these the same family of audio chips that are found on the sound boards for which people are see these problems? ASUS Rampage GENE - SupremeFX X-Fi audio ASUS Rampage Extreme - SupremeFX X-Fi Audio Card - ADI

Anyone try the sound dll stuff yet? I'm really wanting to see if people have the same positive response with that that my small test group did.
I've flown the 747-800x and the J41 with the sound dll edit; about 4.5 hrs. on the 747 and about 30 min. in the J41. No graphics strangeness at all, and I was getting them a lot before. No skeletons, no missing menus. This is fun!

Dave Skuback - KBLM

'Cause down the shore everything's all right

Uh, what is the path to the sound.cfg, this just in the Concorde, or an FSX general config?If it eliminates the need to dink around with the sound dll's thats handy.
the ConcordeX's sound.cfg in it's sound directory

First of all thank you Ryan for collecting informations from different threads and starting this topic.Glad to see PMDG involved in finding a solution for this problems.I downgraded to XP 64 for some weeks because nearly every flight ends with corrupted or disapearing textures, sometimes black screen under Win7 64.I'm an IFR flyer so my aircraft are 747, MD-11, LDS's 767 and CS757.With all listed aircraft I got problems under Win7. I was able to reproduce texture loss much faster by increasing Texture_Max_Load to 2048 or 4096 as it is needed for REX HD clouds or McPhat's CS757 UHDT liveries.Also increasing Lod_Radius has a great influence, the more of video memory is used in FSX the sooner there are texture problems and the mentioned aircrafts also load more video memory than default aircraft.Switching several times between windowed and fullscreen mode also accelerates texture loss.Please take a look at the explanation from the former patch for Vista at microsoft support, there was a fix which is also included in SP1 for Vista, I don't know how Win7 now handles virtual address space, may be it has something to do with the problems.http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...mp;x=9&y=15Started a testflight last weekend with a friend, both with same fsx.cfg settings, same addon aircraft and airports, the only difference he was on Win7-64bit.On approach all IVAO aircrafts on destination were lost under his system he only could see black squares, minutes later he got texture corruption of the entire scenery with Win7, everything was fine with XP64.Regards,Mats Weinberger

Hello Ryan Here is my information for your database. I used to have this texture problem all the time. mainly with PMDG MD11 and sometimes with PMDG 747. After trying many suggested solutions, I could not get it to stop. It's very interesting that a lot of Asus PT6 V2 deluxe motherboards seam to suffer this texture problem as this is the same motherboard that I use. I have used it with the on board audio and also with the Creative Sound blaster Xfi PCi express card. no change. I finally went out and bought Windows XP Pro 64bit and installed it as a dual boot system. Windows XP 64bit for FSX and Windows 7 64bit for everything else and I have not had any more of the problems listed in your original post. :( 1. Have you ever seen this issue happen with the PMDG J41?No. Already went to Windows XP Pro 64bit when I purchased the J412. Have you ever seen this happen in Windows XP (32 or 64-bit)?No.3. Have you ever seen anything like this happen in FS9?No, But I have not used FS9 with addon's4. Have you ever seen this happen with a default aircraft or other aircraft you know to not be using custom sound?No5. Can you reproduce the issue on a completely clean

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Ok, I'm glad to see that our theory is panning out at least to start with here...The P6T mobo thing has to be a factor in this I think, almost everyone in this thread has that board. I can't explain why, but something within the bus architecture has to be different on this board vs. others. Perhaps it conducts its IRQ resource sharing in an unusual way or something?I would strongly caution anyone reading who's building an i7 system to not use that board or anything similar from Asus at this point.

I think this is likely because it's reducing the overall traffic across the system bus by having none of the engine sounds playing. There's a lot of individual files involved in those sounds.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan,Here is the info requested in regards to issue 4, if you need anything else, just ask.