Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Graphics corruption in FSX - (UPDATE: possible solution found!)

Hey *******, What are your thoughts on using the BP=0 with a GTX 260 SSC edition. That's what I own but I'm a little skeptical on using that specific tweak since the video memory is <1GB. Right now my i'm getting great results but I need just a little bit more kick to make everything smooth.
I have a GTX260 as well and I don't recommend it, it's unstable and I eventually get a system hardlock when the object batching finally overwhelms the card. It'll work ok for a while but it always crashes for me after a while. This takes a very high end card to use - Radeon 5850/5870 or GTX470/480 basically.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I just tried Use BP=0 in my cfg. I have a GTX 295 with 1792 MB DDR3 Memory. Stock clocked GPU. I messed around in the J41 in detailed add on scenery flying circuits for about 45 mins (inside and outside, panning around) and then in the 744x in different add on scenery also flying circuits for about the same amount of time. Both near ocean and my water setting is High 2x. Sliders for Scenery Density at Max, Auto Gen at Normal, Traffic (Traffic X) 85%, Ships Max, Cars 20%, Mesh 100% etc. Sim did not crash - I really expected it to. I would say about only 6-10% FPS increase though and liquid smooth, even in turns.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I just tried Use BP=0 in my cfg. I have a GTX 295 with 1792 MB DDR3 Memory. Stock clocked GPU. I messed around in the J41 in detailed add on scenery flying circuits for about 45 mins (inside and outside, panning around) and then in the 744x in different add on scenery also flying circuits for about the same amount of time. Both near ocean and my water setting is High 2x. Sliders for Scenery Density at Max, Auto Gen at Normal, Traffic (Traffic X) 85%, Ships Max, Cars 20%, Mesh 100% etc. Sim did not crash - I really expected it to. I would say about only 6-10% FPS increase though and liquid smooth, even in turns.
Probably your CPU is not yet stalling the GPU... BP=0 becomes more and more unstable as the CPU speed increases. Because, if the CPU is faster it will prepare and send instructions to the video card at a rate the card will not be able to handle. BP=0 shines with i7's at 4.2 AND a GTX 480 but if you are running 4.2 with a 285.. then, it might work, but you will eventually have a crash.. the GTX 480 removes that posibility considerably, but not completely! the GTX 480 has twice as many cores, but if you run LOD_RADIUS=6.5 for example, the GTX 480 may still not be enough. Personally, I've found that the most significant stability 'tweak' for BP=0 is running the LOD_RADIUS at 3.5 it's ROCK stable under ALL conditions (and I've tried them all, trust me :) )The fact is, BP=0 is probably the most significant performance tweak for FSX, but it comes at a price :) stability....

JesusSorry for the question maybe is being aswered.....[bufferPools]PoolSize=0or[bufferPools]PoolSize=0usepools=0Thank you

*******,I am about to receive a upgraded desktop,moved to i7 @ 3.4 and a gtx 480 is coming todayworth trying bufferpools?Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

worth trying bufferpools?
Check my fsx.cfg file, I posted it on the main FSX forum. There, you'll see a 'switch' ON/OFF (1 or 0) to turn them on or off. Use that fsx.cfg file, and test with both, keep the one that gives you the best results/stability.

JesusSorry for the question maybe is being aswered.....[bufferPools]PoolSize=0or[bufferPools]PoolSize=0usepools=0Thank you
All you need is UsePools=0, UsePools is an on/off switch that turns the vertex buffer between the CPU and GPU on or off. PoolSize actually sets the total amount of memory reserved for the pool when UsePools is set to 1 (on).

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I'm getting a g3d.dll module CTD using the following in my cfg:Usepools=0HIGHMEMFIX=1TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80Windows 7 64bit @4.2ATI 5870 Catalyst 10.3All sliders to the right except water. FSX is very smooth but still getting that g3d.dll crash after flying around for a while.Any ideas what I can do?Thanks

AMD 7900X  |  ASRock Steel Legend X670E  |  G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 6000  |  MSI 6950XT  |  Noctua NH-D14  

EVGA Super NOVA 850W  |  Cooler Master HAF932  |  Hisense 43" 4K UHD  |  Win11

Any ideas what I can do?Thanks
Sure, you have two options:OPTION 1) Replace your ENTIRE [bufferPools] section with this:[bufferPools]RejectThreshold=131071-OR-OPTION 2) Set your MESH resolution to 10m, Your Scenery Detail to Medium and Your Autogen Density to Dense.Also, make sure you run Water at HIGH 2.0 and NOT MAX 2.0, don't run ANY OTHER WATER SETTING! just use, exactly HIGH 2.0Option #1 will reduce performance a bit, Option #2 will maintain it, either option will solve your problem just don't use both.

ss

Sure, you have two options:OPTION 1) Replace your ENTIRE [bufferPools] section with this:[bufferPools]RejectThreshold=131071-OR-OPTION 2) Set your MESH resolution to 10m, Your Scenery Detail to Medium and Your Autogen Density to Dense.Also, make sure you run Water at HIGH 2.0 and NOT MAX 2.0, don't run ANY OTHER WATER SETTING! just use, exactly HIGH 2.0Option #1 will reduce performance a bit, Option #2 will maintain it, either option will solve your problem just don't use both.
Thanks *******! I will try this and report back!

AMD 7900X  |  ASRock Steel Legend X670E  |  G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 6000  |  MSI 6950XT  |  Noctua NH-D14  

EVGA Super NOVA 850W  |  Cooler Master HAF932  |  Hisense 43" 4K UHD  |  Win11

The corruption problem was experienced on Vista and Win7, your sig shows 32 bit XP :), that sounds more like just running out of memory.If I were you I'd upgrade to Win7 64, its really worth it!!Good luck,
Thanks for your advice.Is there any FSX + addons performance difference between Win 7 32 bit and 64 bit? If it's worth to upgrade my system I would get some info if I should buy 32 bit or 64 bit. Some people say it's better to buy Wind 7 32 bit for FSX, the others say 64 bit is a better choice. Maybe some of you already tested FSX with both 32 & 64bit versions and can give me some advices and tips.

Adrian

Is there a reason for this? I thought that water HIGH 2.0 would reduce performance a great deal... Also some say, that increasing your autogen sometimes will increase performance, is that true?

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thanks for your advice.Is there any FSX + addons performance difference between Win 7 32 bit and 64 bit? If it's worth to upgrade my system I would get some info if I should buy 32 bit or 64 bit. Some people say it's better to buy Wind 7 32 bit for FSX, the others say 64 bit is a better choice. Maybe some of you already tested FSX with both 32 & 64bit versions and can give me some advices and tips.
Do not use 32bit, it can't address more than 2GB of user address space and you'll get out of memory errors in FSX. There's no reason not to use 64-bit.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

System: Win7 64bit Ultimate9550 oced to 3.24Ghz285GTX with 2GB VRAMNVidia Driver 182.50DH2Go 3360x10508GB memoryScenery density very dense, autogen dense.Whatever I do, I can't get rid of the sound crackling issue and microstutters UNLESS I use a bufferpool setting of 490MB. However, when I do so, I will introduce graphics corruption (distorted airplane, loss of autogen and clouds and so on) after some time, most often after switching from full screen to saving, refuelling or windowed mode.490MB is necessary for autogen landscapes, 190MB is sufficient for a combo of autogen and phototexture.Positive side effect of the 490MB bufferpools is good framerate and smooth flight. Highmemfix doesn't change a thing. I am really at a loss what to do.

Probably your CPU is not yet stalling the GPU... BP=0 becomes more and more unstable as the CPU speed increases. Because, if the CPU is faster it will prepare and send instructions to the video card at a rate the card will not be able to handle. BP=0 shines with i7's at 4.2 AND a GTX 480 but if you are running 4.2 with a 285.. then, it might work, but you will eventually have a crash.. the GTX 480 removes that posibility considerably, but not completely! the GTX 480 has twice as many cores, but if you run LOD_RADIUS=6.5 for example, the GTX 480 may still not be enough. Personally, I've found that the most significant stability 'tweak' for BP=0 is running the LOD_RADIUS at 3.5 it's ROCK stable under ALL conditions (and I've tried them all, trust me :) )The fact is, BP=0 is probably the most significant performance tweak for FSX, but it comes at a price :) stability....
*******, I want to thank you sincerely. I just finished building/testing my FSX rig (see sig) this weekend and finally loaded FSX/Accel (it has been on the shelf for 3 years). I wanted to do some benchmarking with the plain vanilla FSX to get a baseline before I added scenery and heavies.I followed your lead and made your suggested modifications and it is just completely amazing how the sim runs with BP=0. My surprise is my GPU % usage (reported by EVGA Precision) is 40-50% @ ~50degC on a gtx275!. In fact, I was flying FSX maxed out while watching a DVD (mounted ISO image) of Polar Air Cargo and messaging in Skype! I mean WTBH is going on? (I know I will have to "tune down" the sliders a bit when I add on the rest of the toys).Anyway, I was a die hard XP/FS9 hold out. I have seen the W7x64/FSX light. Again, THANK YOU!