Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Graphics corruption in FSX - (UPDATE: possible solution found!)

To begin with, I really appreciate this very professional approach, exploring limits (read: faults) of FSX rather than insisting on one's own perfect product - if the platform it uses is corrupted, one will not be able to enjoy its perfection. You may remember my fruitless efforts with MD11... I believe the sound issue to be on the right track, as only yesterday FSX terminated (CTD, but no BSOD) after textures missing, reappearing, missing again, sound off, back on, back off again and --> CTD, all this with Digital Aviation's Cheyenne (PA31 family), which, too, uses its own sound (panels and engine). First time ever the PA31 CTD'ed. PMDG744X (not 747-8) still never did so far, LevelD767 did so occasionally, and so did SimCheck A300. I do have an ASUS P7P55D motherboard and cannot set sound quality below "CD" level (16 bit, 44100 = lowest possible setting) but I have reduced sound quality to "1" in FSX.cfg (was at "2"), added a [bUFFERPOOLS] section with a reject threshold of 256K and a size of 2M and will try again and continue to report results.System: ASUS P7P55D, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home 64 bitGraphics nVidia GTX 275Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant and PedalsFSX SP21. Have you ever seen this issue happen with the PMDG J41?No, never.2. Have you ever seen this happen in Windows XP (32 or 64-bit)?No (was using FS9 on XP32 on a different machine -- never any problem whatsoever with LevelD767, PMDG 737, PMDG 747, ..., ... Should have stuck to it, I guess.)3. Have you ever seen anything like this happen in FS9?Nothing whatsoever (see above - again: was a different machine).4. Have you ever seen this happen with a default aircraft or other aircraft you know to not be using custom sound?Not while flying FSX standard aircraft - but never did so for more than an hour, and that was the Grumman flying boat. All third party add-on aircraft I still use do use custom sound.5. Can you reproduce the issue on a completely clean

... I have reduced sound quality to "1" in FSX.cfg (was at "2"), added a [bUFFERPOOLS] section with a reject threshold of 256K and a size of 2M and will try again and continue to report results.
Just did the same flight with the PA31 (LOWL-LFKB), same route, same flightplan, same load, same weather ... and she made it.Sigmar

Just did the same flight with the PA31 (LOWL-LFKB), same route, same flightplan, same load, same weather ... and she made it.
Similarly, EGKK-LPMA with LevelD767, 2 long overwater legs, total trip time 3 hrs, rock stable (plus the thrill of a manual VFR landing at LPMA).Sigmar

Well guys, a little over an hour into a supersonic crossing, using maximum resolution model etc.. and no issues to report so far.Only tweaks to FSX.cfg where the HIGHMEMFIX and the sound tweak as per this thread (set to =1).Some more info just in: every time FSX BSODs the system, it is always my sound card driver that crashed out. I can provoke this by starting/quitting FSX about 6 to 8 times. It is consistent.I think you've nailed it.Completed a 10 hour flight with the MD-11 earlier and there were no issues with disappearing model, etc.. I started the flight so it would deliberately transition to night time during the flight.Best regards,Robin.

Can I just clarify - Sigmar says above that he " have reduced sound quality to "1" in FSX.cfg (was at "2"), added a [bUFFERPOOLS] section with a reject threshold of 256K and a size of 2M and will try again and continue to report results."I'm confused - do I need the RejectThreshold AND the Bufferpools entry as he suggests? I thought that only RejectThreshold necessary? Can ******* or anyone else confirm this?thanksOwen

Hi,I'm only using the sound tweak and that works for me.There is a thread around here somewhere that says that some of ******* original discoveries are incorrect (I think ******* himself started it).Best regards,Robin.

Can I just clarify - Sigmar says above that he " have reduced sound quality to "1" in FSX.cfg (was at "2"), added a [bUFFERPOOLS] section with a reject threshold of 256K and a size of 2M and will try again and continue to report results."I'm confused - do I need the RejectThreshold AND the Bufferpools entry as he suggests?
Hi Owen,the problem seems to be that there is no uniform answer, as any system is unique ... I am still experimenting with various options but this particular combination has indeed increased system stability for me. Next step will be to go to a 512 K reject threshold, reduce sound quality to 0 (will give all kinds of clicking/cracking sounds which poor radios will produce in reality...) and try a transatlantic leg with LevelD767 (not the Queen, as she will make it anyway under DX10). Then I shall know... (and report, of course.)Sigmar Stadlmeier

Hi Owen,the problem seems to be that there is no uniform answer, as any system is unique ... I am still experimenting with various options but this particular combination has indeed increased system stability for me. Next step will be to go to a 512 K reject threshold, reduce sound quality to 0 (will give all kinds of clicking/cracking sounds which poor radios will produce in reality...) and try a transatlantic leg with LevelD767 (not the Queen, as she will make it anyway under DX10). Then I shall know... (and report, of course.)Sigmar Stadlmeier
thanks Sigmar, I like the idea of crackling radios! I'll give this a go tonight. I'm having the most problems with the Flightsimlabs Concorde which is a beauty, but is taxing my 2 year old system to its limits. Think my transatlantic leg may be a bit quicker than yours!Will report back in a bit. Owen

Hi all!little question- i have now the geforce gtx470 and

\Robert Hamlich/

Sound=1, bufferpools reject = 512K. SimCheck A300 B2/B4 cargo (DHL), EDDK-GCLP (=Cologne to Canary Islands), 4+ hrs and long overwater legs, no problems at all... looks very good indeed.Sigmar Stadlmeier

Hi Klaus- Looks as though you kept your old .cfg, all you need to do is make a backup then delete the .cfg and start FSX which will build a new one then copy all your tweaks/edits from the old .cfg. A good rule of thumb is to rebuild your .cfg when you download a new driver, install a new card etc.If you use Real Environement X with HD 4096 textures or Ultimate Traffic II you will have to rerun those applications after rebuilding your .cfg otherwise they will not take effect.
THNX Robert!

Reg

Klaus

from LOWG

Sound=1, bufferpools reject = 512K. SimCheck A300 B2/B4 cargo (DHL), EDDK-GCLP (=Cologne to Canary Islands), 4+ hrs and long overwater legs, no problems at all... looks very good indeed.
Was good for the SimCheck A300, but LevelD767 hung with these settings after 2.5 hrs. Changed sound back to 0, picked the Queen PMDG 744F (FedEx), KSFO-PHNL, not even using DX10 preview but standard DX9, 4:45 over open water, far away from any tower (view) ... and not even a hiccup. Enjoyed 50-60 fps all the way to Hawaii, and a great landing on RWY 08L.(a very happy) Sigmar Stadlmeier(Does this make any sense to anybody here?)

Was good for the SimCheck A300, but LevelD767 hung with these settings after 2.5 hrs.
Well, it does make sense to me now ... PHNL-KSFO with the A300 on the same settings, and no issues at all again. This proves that the LevelD767 is not up to W7 64bit ... deleted. That's it, no further comment required.

Well, it does make sense to me now ... PHNL-KSFO with the A300 on the same settings, and no issues at all again. This proves that the LevelD767 is not up to W7 64bit ... deleted. That's it, no further comment required.
Too bad to hear this about the Level D. But then again I cannot say that I am at all surprised, considering the thing didnt even work right when Accel. came out. And they falt out refused to patch the thing. Used to be my favorite plan when I first bought it, but I now find myself flying the PMDG 747, the Maddog MD80 far more frequent. And when the NGX comes out, that will take up all my time for sure.But to get back on point, the information I have found in this thread is absolutely amazing. I can now fly using the latest OS instead of staying stuck in XP land with old drivers. A big thumbs up from this Captain for everyones hard work to find these tweaks.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/