Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Graphics corruption in FSX - (UPDATE: possible solution found!)

******* when you find a solution please let us know! I am really missing flying my favorite small airplane, the Flight1 Pilatus PC-12. Until then looks like it's Carenados 185F and for big iron the Queen

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, I know, I may make an XP64 partition for that, but I would rather be able to run under Win 7.So that board is the one with Realtec audio that can be set down, yes?Thanks,
It does have the 7.1RT but have it disabled and use a Creative Fatal1ty pro in the third PCI_Ex16 slot, using it in gaming mode, yelds a bit more milage with resources.I have FSX setup to use on both Win7-64-ult and XP64P in a dual boot config.

I have issue #1. I have tried just about everything.I7 950@ 3.6bfg 285 gtx ocp6t mobo6gb ocz tripple channel ram750 watt psucreative XFI sound card.win vista 64 home premiumfsx + accelerationPMDG- 747-400, 747-8, j41 flight1 cessna mustang, quest kodiak, carenado- mooney, c185, pa34 seneca. capt. sim-c130, 727. Ariane 737 800 x2.leveld 767This issue happens with ALL my aircraft! anytime I go to watch a replay, change weather,change fuel/cargo and sometimes when I switch planes
Hi Ricky,I've just solved my "black screen of death syndrome" by removing an extra unwanted video driver entry in the fsx.cfg (got the tip from a forum at flight1).If that may help...My config: FSX Acc on Win7 x64, i7 860, 4GB, GTX285Good luck,David

Here's something that cured my problem - at least for now. I know it sounds a little bit silly, but this REALLY helped with my configuration:Nota bene: I have a 285GTX with 2(!)GB VRam, so this might NOT work with 1GB VRAM.[bufferpools]poolsize=590000000and in NHancer set AA to combined 8xS or 4xSNow, 590MB bufferpools seem to be a bad idea, but with my card and configuration, it isn't. This does NOT work with lesser AA - I have no idea why, but if AA is set to 2x, for example, texture loss occurs again.Result of this tweak on my system: no sound crackling, no loss of textures, no deformation of plane.This is NOT an April's fool joke, but of course your mileage may vary on your system...

Hi Ricky,I've just solved my "black screen of death syndrome" by removing an extra unwanted video driver entry in the fsx.cfg (got the tip from a forum at flight1).If that may help...My config: FSX Acc on Win7 x64, i7 860, 4GB, GTX285Good luck,David
Thanks David, I wil have a go at it this evening!

THINGS FOR YOU TO DO:1. Foremost, I

PS: Neither does setting the poolsize to 590 Mb.[/i]
Did you try it together with NHancer Combined 8xS?

RyanI have removed the sound.dll lines on dll.xml file and I'm still experiencing the 'skeleton' for 748 for a few seconds. No difference at all with or without the sound.dll reference (except for the missing cockpit sounds, of course).My rig specs:WinXP SP3 32 bitsMoBo - Intel dp35dp (http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/dp35dp/dp35dp-overview.htm)Core2Duo E6750@2.66 GHz2GB RAMNVidia GeForce GTX275 896MB (http://www.nvidia.com.br/object/product_geforce_gtx_275_br.html)Chipset Intel P35 Express (http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Chipsets/P35/P35-overview.htm)Audio onboard: Intel High Definition Audio (http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/hdaudio.htm)As my rig is becoming 'old' for the actual standards, I think it is relevant to know that the sound.dll change is not enough to solve the problem.RegardsSchmid

Did you try it together with NHancer Combined 8xS?
Yes: Combined 8xS is my standard setting.Tim

I have removed the sound.dll lines on dll.xml file and I'm still experiencing the 'skeleton' for 748 for a few seconds.
For a few seconds? Before I tried this fix I was completely unable to regain my textures without a restart. Once they were gone, they were gone for good. Just losing them for a few seconds is fine as long as they return!Regards,Tom Wright

Tom's correct, it is normal for it to take a moment to render the exterior model. The latency period will vary, even for the same system.

Is it almost safe to say that running FSX in Windows XP x64 will significantly reduce or just about end most the problems we see with running Vista or 7? I see that the ones that are running XPx64 aren't upset with whats been happening to the other users.

I wonder if this issue is a possible result of incorrect video settings via nhancer or other video settings tool.Ensure you are not attempting to enable a setting that your video card will not support.For instance for nvidia cards.. 8xq mulitsampling is only available for 88xx and later cards....I may be wrong, but I don't think nhancer cares about what hardware you actually have, but will let you make settings your card can't support.This is just a guess on my part though....

Is it almost safe to say that running FSX in Windows XP x64 will significantly reduce or just about end most the problems we see with running Vista or 7? I see that the ones that are running XPx64 aren't upset with whats been happening to the other users.
I have been following this thread for some time while building my FSX rig (see sig). What interests me is the posts that claim that moving back to XP64 on the SAME hardware virtually eliminates the particular problems that are the topic of this thread.Can those of you that have moved back to XP64 from Win 7 on the same hardware respond with a description of your system and add-ons? Also, if anyone is running a dual boot config with XP64 and Win7x64 comment on which dual boot utility you are using? Thanks!At this point in time, I am thinking about the dual boot route since I want to fly more than I want to bang bits.

For a few seconds? Before I tried this fix I was completely unable to regain my textures without a restart. Once they were gone, they were gone for good. Just losing them for a few seconds is fine as long as they return!Regards,Tom Wright
TomThe question is: removing sound.dll fixes the problem? The answer in my case is NO. To add some more information: while flying the textures demanded more time to render. At destination airport, I got only the 'skeleton' and, to push the system to the limits I tried to change from windowed mode to full screen. I got a blue screen caused by video driver so I had to turn off computer manually.I'll reduce autogen and scenery complexity from 'extremely dense' to 'very dense' and do some more tests.RegardsSchmid

TomThe question is: removing sound.dll fixes the problem? The answer in my case is NO.
It would really help to add your system specs/environment to your posts/signatures so it is easier to correlate problems, fixes etc. Without this imporant info it is near impossible to get a handle of what combination of hardware, OS and add-ons are causing/fixing what problems. Thanks!!

I disabled the sound.dll and loaded up the MD-11 in a situation where I know I will get missing textures (Situation 4). There was no difference and sure enough I ended up with a skeleton aircraft on switching to Locked Spot.However, I think you we are on the right track here. My current work around for complex aircraft is this:-Launch the Sim in the default trike, go to an outside view to load the textures cache (to get rid of the graphical spiking). Go back to virtual cockpit and load the aircraft of my choice (either PMDG MD-11 or FSLabs Conc normally). I can then go into menus to load a panel state, go to outside views, etc. and all seems to be well. I am not testing to destruction however, just doing all the normal things I would do to set up a flight.What this suggests to me (as a layman) is that somewhere we are overloading the system, we're trying to push textures through a "tube" that's just too thin and we're loosing some. By first loading up my scenery (UK2K or Aerosoft airports) and then loading up the complex addon aircraft I am introducing the textures in two stages and not flooding the machine. The sound.dll fix might just be reducing the stress on the system and not be the root cause of the problem itself.Another thing to note (and perhaps test) is where I experience these problems. I never see these problems outside Europe and I believe that is both because of the structure of FSX and the fact I have many scenery addons in Europe that stress the machine. In the States or Asia I never see this problem with any aircraft even spawning into it straight from the menu screen because I'm not stressing the machine so much.My machine specs: Asus P5Q Pro (RealTek ALC1200), E8600@4Ghz, 4Gb RAM, GTS250 1Gb, Vista 64.FSX Accel, Scenery Tech, GEX, UTX, FTX, REX2.0, ASE, GenX, UK2K EGLL, EGKK, EGSS, EGCC, VFR1+2, Aerosoft EDDH, EDDF, EDDK, FSDT LSGG, LSZH, KORD, KJFK;Real Air SF260, Duke, PMDG MD-11, FSLabs ConcordeX.Regards,Dan Parkin.

I would suggest everyone with problems even after removing the sound dll also remove the fsx.cfg file and possibly even uninstall and remove all pmdg extra things, then do a clean reinstall. disable the sound dll, and try again

Ryan,Just a side comment: I've never seen PMDG asking people to share CTD dumps with you. Why wouldn't think about it? It is extremely powerfull tool in case you can't reach machine with a debugger. You will be able to see stack, heap, and other memory and process related things. You can also ask people to create dumps manually, in case issue is not causing CTD, this can be done by simple right click on the process in task manager, so it won't be hard for the customers.The only question is how to share dumps, because usually those are really huge (equal to process size in memory), so even zipping those will produce ernomously sized files.

It would really help to add your system specs/environment to your posts/signatures so it is easier to correlate problems, fixes etc. Without this imporant info it is near impossible to get a handle of what combination of hardware, OS and add-ons are causing/fixing what problems. Thanks!!
I have posted my system specs a few msgs up here. But, no problem. Here it goes again:WinXP SP3 32 bitsMoBo - Intel dp35dp (http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/dp35dp/dp35dp-overview.htm)Core2Duo E6750@2.66 GHz2GB RAMNVidia GeForce GTX275 896MB (http://www.nvidia.com.br/object/product_geforce_gtx_275_br.html)Chipset Intel P35 Express (http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Chipsets/P35/P35-overview.htm)Audio onboard: Intel High Definition Audio (http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/hdaudio.htm)RegardsSchmid

If you still suffer this issue then your OS being 32bit would probably be the weakest link imo. And the only 2gb ram

I copied that dll into my FSX root folder but it keeps crashing :(No skeleton a/c with my JS41 thoughSpecs:Asus EVO M4A785TD-MAMD Phenom II X4 965 O.C. 3.8GHz8Gb DDR3 Corsair dominator @ 1600Dedicated 300Gb Western Digital Velociraptor1Tb Western Digital 7200rpm 32Mb cache

Ryan,Just a side comment: I've never seen PMDG asking people to share CTD dumps with you. Why wouldn't think about it? It is extremely powerfull tool in case you can't reach machine with a debugger. You will be able to see stack, heap, and other memory and process related things. You can also ask people to create dumps manually, in case issue is not causing CTD, this can be done by simple right click on the process in task manager, so it won't be hard for the customers.The only question is how to share dumps, because usually those are really huge (equal to process size in memory), so even zipping those will produce ernomously sized files.
They might have something to say to one of the people who actually programmed FSX, but that's not the type of programming we're doing here... It's largely meaningless when even we don't fully understand how the sim works at the core with respect to this kind of graphics thing. If it was a crash happening within PMDG code, then sure, but that isn't what this is.

Just completed a 12hour 48 min flight from Auckland to Vancouver, the only issue this time which I have not seen before is the displays are not refreshed unless I cycled through the VC camera views with the A key. The "zoomed" version when opening with a mouse click are fine though.My CPU and GPU temps seem high as they are hovering around 56

I have been following this thread for some time while building my FSX rig (see sig). What interests me is the posts that claim that moving back to XP64 on the SAME hardware virtually eliminates the particular problems that are the topic of this thread.Can those of you that have moved back to XP64 from Win 7 on the same hardware respond with a description of your system and add-ons? Also, if anyone is running a dual boot config with XP64 and Win7x64 comment on which dual boot utility you are using? Thanks!At this point in time, I am thinking about the dual boot route since I want to fly more than I want to bang bits.
ASUS P6X58 - I7-920-DO @ 4.4 - 12Gb 2000-8-8-8-24 - 285GTX-1GB - Creative Fatal1ty Pro Audio - Dell 2408WFPI had installed Win7-Ult-64 clean for months and then installed XP64SP2 on second partion just recently. I am Using the Win7 Bootloader fro dual booting, however had to use the WIn7 Disc and re set the Win7 bootloader for Win7 as it gets corupted by the XP install as normal when instaling an older OS after a newer one, then used EasyBCD beta 2.0 from within Win7 to automaticly do all the settings for the dual boot, it finds the XP install and coppies all relavant ntldr files and paths..was a snap. Dual Boot menu comes up and I can pick either one, or it defaults to Win7 after some many seconds.I have Tons of add-ons like FSDT JFK/KORD, ManhattenX, Orbex-PNW etc that break FSX on WIN7 along with complex Aircraft use and high settings use. Still building my new FSX-XP, it is upto SP2/Acceleration and now adding all the addons back. My Win7 FSX install remains intact so I can test side by side.I encouurage everyone to complain to MS over what seems to be a WDDM issue in both Vista/Win7 or this may be the final bullet that kills our game.