Sign in to follow this  
spilok

How are the new 197.13 Nvidia drivers for FSX?

I'm currently using the 196.21 NVidia Drivers with FSX on Windows 7 with a NVidia 285 card. They seem fine, but I'm always looking for an improvement. Anyone using the new 197.13 drivers, and are they stable with performance gains? Please let me know your review of these.Stan

Hi Stan,I'm using these drivers (197.13) with Win 7 64bit. I think they are much better than most (if-not-all) of the drivers I've tried in the past, they are stable and I've noticed better performance/smoothness as well as a slight increase in FPS using these drivers with FSX.I see you have the same GTX-285 video board, so I expect that you would reap the same benefits I see using these drivers. Other video boards may not see the results I have seen, YMMV. All I can say to everyone else is try them, it may not make a difference as far as performance/smoothness/FPS goes, then again it may.Personally, I think these drivers are the best I've seen and used from Nvidia in quite some time.

I'm currently using the 196.21 NVidia Drivers with FSX on Windows 7 with a NVidia 285 card. They seem fine, but I'm always looking for an improvement. Anyone using the new 197.13 drivers, and are they stable with performance gains? Please let me know your review of these.Stan

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I agree, 197.13 WHQL for both Win XP and Win 7 , and 197.25 beta for Win 7, are the best drivers for FS since the "old" 182.50 WHQL. Best.Miquel.

Hi Stan,I'm using these drivers (197.13) with Win 7 64bit. I think they are much better than most (if-not-all) of the drivers I've tried in the past, they are stable and I've noticed better performance/smoothness as well as a slight increase in FPS using these drivers with FSX.I see you have the same GTX-285 video board, so I expect that you would reap the same benefits I see using these drivers. Other video boards may not see the results I have seen, YMMV. All I can say to everyone else is try them, it may not make a difference as far as performance/smoothness/FPS goes, then again it may.Personally, I think these drivers are the best I've seen and used from Nvidia in quite some time.
Stan,I had a total opposite reaction to this driver on my rig which looks to be very similar to yours so Id like to hear how you go about the installation. I also use a TH2GO with a GTX285. When I removed this driver and went back to the 195.62 everything was normal again. I even tried deleting my fsx.cfg but found no love. So, out of curiosity, just let me know how you go about the install would be helpful.

I am afraid my results are not as good with the 197.13 and getting graphic stutters. While my system was only built recently and I am still trying to fine tune it, the previous drivers seem to perform better. This is my experience with a GTX260 anyway on an i7 860 with 4gb ram.Regards,Miro

Installation was to remove old NVidia drivers from Control Panel. Click on downloaded new drivers and the rest was automatic. I did have a glitch trying it the first time because my computer was trying to install generic vga drivers after the deletion. I restarted my computer again, went to my download folder, clicked on the 197s and it worked.I made sure NHancer was set to my FSX settings, and on my first flight, I had stutters (weather was pretty rainy and dark) with my Cessna 172. I did a defrag that night and the next day, the flights were smoother. However, I don't think I'm getting the same frames as I was with the older drivers. I need to do some more testing, but the 197.13s seem OK. Not earth-shattering. Jury's out! I will test some more and make a decision as to whether I should keep them.Stan

I tried 197.25 first, everything seems fine until I started FSX, as soon as I panned around in spot view I got very small white dots all over my screen and the old "video drivers have stopped working message".Rather than screw with 197.25 anymore I installed 197.13 and those seem fine. I can not say that I have had a performance increase, but they are working just as good as the 195.81 drivers I was using before.Rod

I tried 197.25 first, everything seems fine until I started FSX, as soon as I panned around in spot view I got very small white dots all over my screen and the old "video drivers have stopped working message".Rather than screw with 197.25 anymore I installed 197.13 and those seem fine. I can not say that I have had a performance increase, but they are working just as good as the 195.81 drivers I was using before.Rod
When I had an ATI card which was the better of 10 years, I had about 3 diferent ones, I had to follow the instructions and uninstall the existing driver. Well, ever since I switched to NVIDIA and got the 285, I upgraded drivers several times. Now, I just install the new driver without doing any uninstalling of the old one. My OS, I use XP32, XP64 and Windows 7, each has a folder in its own partiion: C:\NVIDIA\DISPLAYDRIVER\197.13. All are running GREAT with the 197.13.Abe

These seem fine on my WinXP_x64 rig. It's the first I've used other than the 182.5's in quite a while. Currently 8xSQ AA in nHancer with only a slightly larger hit to performance, but stable. All other nHancer settings still as recommended in NickN's guide.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

This is the "speckles" I reported elsewhere. Try turning your GPU fan speed up with Riva Tuner or nTune and see if it goes away. I am using 70% with good results. I reported the fan speed issue on nVidia's forums today at http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...00#entry1034516 so let's see what they do (if anything).