Sign in to follow this  
ErnieAlston

Is the GREED or what ...?

Guest Finnflyer

>What's wrong with wanting to get paid for something you love>doing?>>Like I said, not everything about life is about getting paid or money, at least to some people.Like I have seen many people state in threads about this issue before:This hobby used to more about sharing. Am I not allowed to be sad and disapointed about freeware going to payware ? Many of these responses from the people with the purely capitalistic world view are very hostile.

<>lolperspective, now....no blinders....this hobby never had any sharing prior to the internet. All elements were payware. Since then, the people that shared were folks that got into the creation side of scenery, utilities, airplanes...and.....guess what? Those folks began asking for money early on...as soon as they decided it was time. The reason there is freeware today is the steady new interest on the part of new contributors.The folks that offered graphic design tools ALL expected money then (the "bad ol days") Now graphic design tools are free! (GMAX, FSSC, EOD, Airport for Windows. Gosh, isn't it great that the hobby is now so much about sharing)...Your perspective assumes some payware exists but objects to NEW payware....the payware you accept WAS freeware before...you see that this is a continuom of change, NOT something remarkable.Be happy, support freeware with your contributions, not your complaints.Bob Bernstein

>Before the internet, no one would imagine it possible to get an >addon for free. We paid for everything, the idea that we could get >something for nothing never crossed our minds.That's not quite true, because before FlightSim went to the internet it was on the online services like Prodigy, and Compuserve, and also the BBS's they all had download libraries very similar to what we have now at Avsim, and FlightSim.com,etc.Really payware and freeware have both been there from day one.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

I understand why people get annoyed that they have to pay for something, but I also find it very funny! I have spent the last 4 years working as a 3D Artist for a software developer making console games and undestand what it takes to make models for games.For games that you will find your kids (or yourself playing) its so easy, as if it looks right it wil do and every developer thinks the same, but when you get to something like FS if the Shadow doesnt look right people will complain!!!! My point is to create anything for FS be it 2000 or 2004 it takes so much research and work most people would not believe it! Its not a couple of nights after work and oh there's that Perfect Boeing 747 everyones been waiting for?? I think the people who always put there work out as freeware deserve a medal as these people put so much time and effort into there creations most people will never appreciate it.I normally fly (in real life!) a Piper Warrior so I decided to buy Dreamfleets version as I could not find a problem with it and it did every thing I wanted???? They have spent a lot of time researching the plane and working on every element of the model so I think people like this deserve to be rewarded for there contribution to the community.If people think that everything for FS should be free then they should start to learn how to create these planes and scenerys and add-ons and start contributing because I bet after a short while they will either stop or realise how much work is involved and start trying to recoup some of there loss's!!!!As others have said if you dont like the price (or the fact you have to pay)dont buy it you arent being forced to, and if you think because it was once free then it should always be, then try to create it yourself.Just my opinionTenaciousD

Guest Finnflyer

I have never said free wasn't alive and well. But when several high quality previously FREE pieces of software go payware it is a SAD loss to the freeware community. What development tools are freely available has nothing to do with this issue. You almost totally miss my point so arguing about it useless.

I consider prodigy and compuserve and the BBS's to be the internet. Don't You? Freeware has not been there from day one. Try to find freeware for fs3.0. Even fs4, it was VERY rare. It wasn't until fs5 and/or fs95 that freeware existed in any quantity.

lol, no I didn't miss your point. And I don't think we're arguing, do you? You probably saw that in an earlier post I pointed out that most of the people expressing concern is really all about their sadness about the state of change....which really has nothing particularly to do with todays state of affairs, its part of life for all time.I know you're just sad...there's just no loss to the community that isn't replaced by something else, its all part of a constant state of flux. Truth is the one end is always losing something and the other end is always adding something.The part in which I suggest you become a contributor is because nothing cures the blues like activity! If you become a contributor, you'll probably feel a LOT less sad. You'll realize that you can create what you want to see, and then share it with the community. You'll look at transitions people choose to make with a very different perspective, kind of "ho hum..that's interesting", now time to get back to my project. Life is good.Bob Bernstein

How can you compare creating planes and scenery to opensource like kde, gnome and linux?? Why should i spend countless hours working on a model be it freeware or not and release the source to the public??(why dont all the other freeware authors release there models?) I understand what you mean and I totaly understand the GPL license as I use Linux myself, but as I have said before if you dont want to pay for it dont buy it! I think FS9 is great out of the box and am not planning on wasting time looking around librarys to start adding things to it?(for free!!) I have what i want and that will do me Great! I may add the Dreamfleet Piper Warrior and some mesh scenery but surprise surprise I payed for them?? Starnge that I found something I liked and bought it! (Just like MSFS)TenaciousD

With Respect to AC and FSUIPC V3 i am disapointed in there unwillinness to state weather the 2004 versions would be Payware or not?This question was put to them many times and not one single replyMuch better for them to hold back untill the last minite and supprise us all with an anoucement of a payware release.Come on guys tell it like it is and you will get more respect in the future, and possibly avoid so much negative feed back.Personally if I had known all these things up front i might have decided not to Buy FS9 (Just my personal decision im entitled to it after all)But then again "There lies the rub" (2 B or Not 2 :( something like that sorry Shakespear i bet your laughing your self to "Mc Deth"(This is precisely what they wanted to achieve(Lots of people with FS9 desperate for these essential addons)DAMM SALES DEPT

I wish to reply to your post because I feel you slightly missed his point. The work put into gnu, linux, bsd, apache, etc is a thousand times greater than any work put into the flight sim community. This is not to negate all the effort involved in creating add-ons, nor does it negate the thanks everyone who releases freeware deserves. I'm just stating that people releasing code that could otherwise be making billions of dollars is just a slightly bigger deal that what the freeware flightsim community releases. I

"With Respect to AC and FSUIPC V3 i am disapointed in there unwillinness to state weather the 2004 versions would be Payware or not?"I can't speak for AC as I don't use it and haven't taken any notice of it but with regard to FSUIPC - where have you been for the past few months? Peter Dowson indicated that things would have to change with a FS2004 version months ago and gave some credible reasons why (IMHO).I agree with others here who have said that the greed is on the part of us users. I'd like to see the section of the "FS Community Charter" that says that freeware products have to stay that way, or that freeware add-ons should even exist at all.To the person who started this thread and the drug-taking analogy - the flaw with your argument is that you're assuming that freeware developers who are now starting to charge for their efforts have done this on the sly with the deliberate intention of sucking us in, making us dependant and then forcing us to pay for our "fix". What proof (of the deliberate intention) have you got of any developers doing this? None I bet. You're just showing off your greed in expecting everything to remain free.Adrian

Adrian----Are you the Adrian C. from the "old" Pro-Pilot days? :)As to this post, I personally agree strongly with payware & the reasons for it.L.Adamson