Sign in to follow this  
steve_1979

What are the best freeware add ons for FSX?

What are the best freeware addons for FSX?I'm interested in both aircraft and scenery but please mention anything else that might improve my flight simming in any way.Many thanks in advance,Steve

What are the best freeware addons for FSX?I'm interested in both aircraft and scenery but please mention anything else that might improve my flight simming in any way.Many thanks in advance,Steve
As you have already figured out, the best FSX addons are payware.. but there is a very nice new free Tiger Moth out which you might enjoy!And if you like to fly around Vancouver Island, Victoria+ scenery is lovely and free :(

Bert

I have ended up with mostly payware, so others will likely be able to add a lot more. However, three things I could never do without...1. Javier's Nimitz and Eisenhower carriers: absolutely stunning and gorgeous carriers. When coupled with AI carriers, it's so simple to add a moving carrier. And he actually added a whole carrier battle group, not just the carrier. Miles and miles better looking than the default carriers...and with an air wing on the deck to make it look more lived in.2. Dino's F-14D Tomcat: An exceptional freeware aircraft, roughly on level with IRIS F-14 which would cost you $40. Both have their pluses and minuses.3. "New Realistic F/A-18 HUD": Adds the ILS/TACAN needles on the HUD for moving carriers (yes, a working moving TACAN...a first in FS).The above completely revamp the carrier experience in FSX and makes it phenomenal (although you will need to have Acceleration to actually trap and launch on the carriers). I do fly quite a bit of commerical and GA in FSX too, but that's where all my payware resides. Hopefully others can help you out there.

Eric Szczesniak

Check out some of the stuff at OZx. The Australian airfields probably works best with the Orbx scenery (payware) but do check out their Grand Canyon, Death Valley, and Tuscany sceneries.

RealAir Duke B60 - probably the best GA ever made for FSX :(Ooops, it's payware, sorry.

Best regards from RelaxX

Here are a few more excellent offerings:Orbx Pacific Northwest and Tasmania demosStriking Software FSCW Water Configurator .. also be sure to check their forum in the PW Sceneries section for some great Carribean scenery. LiveATC.net hosts downloadable mp3 ATC recordings in their archives from several airports throughout the world, which can be played in the background for additional ambience. I like to splice them together with sound editing software, then burn them to cd and playback on a boom box beneath my desk; doesn't require any software running in the background stealing cpu cycles.

I'd recommend going at it the other way, i.e - what do you want to improve in FSX? when you know that, you can then search for mods in the Avsim file library (and other places too of course).But, if you are looking for recommendations. I would say that Turbine Sound Studios (who make payware sound packs for FS, but also do some freebie ones too) are worth a visit. TSS make a lot of add on sound packs that you can buy from Simmarket and they also make sound packs for a few payware add-on airliners, so they know what they are doing. You can find them here: http://www.turbinesoundstudios.com/news.php Also worth a look is the cheekily named www.avsim.ru (which is nothing to do with this Avsim website). If you go there and you don't read Russian, look up at the top right for an English version of the site and then search their files. They do a lot of really excellent Eastern Block aircraft and sceneries. I particularly recommend checking out scenery for ULAA (which is Archangelsk in Northern Russia), and you will find there is also scenery for the surrounding area too. A lot of that stuff is well on par with the best payware scenery.If you want a good general site with links to lots of free scenery add-ons. Here is one: http://walhalla.mine.nu/fsx.phpAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I vote the AICarriers2 program and Javier Fernandez Aircraft Carriers--beautiful and works with all Carrier Aircraft.

Jim Atkins